The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

All Other Toys For the rest of you other scale lovers. 1/6, 1/12, 1/16, etc.

Unread 09-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #3776
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Hasbro is going to get my money for chugs.

pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #3777
nacho
"Big Guns"

nacho is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Dude, those are fugly! Snarl looks like a red-assed baboon. And what's up with Sludge's bot head?

These just make me glad I no longer collect CHUGs. I go big (MP/3P) and small (DX9/IF/MechPlanet/Revo). The middle ground of hollow hasbro deluxe figures is completely off my radar at this point.

That being said, I suppose that scale is long overdue to get some modern dinobots. These look like they're influenced by the IDW comics.

nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 04:21 AM   #3778
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

It's simple really. My daughter can play with them and smash them around. They actually look and transform surprisingly close to the originals.

Unread 09-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #3779
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

For kids, I agree they're not bad. If my son actually cared, I'd probably pick them up too.
For adult collecting, they aren't checking the boxes, but I recognize that I'm far from the target demographic for these.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #3780
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

I've accepted I will never have an MP Dinotbot team since I just do not have the money to lay out $200 times 5. If they had been $100 and were not so big I have to replace my TT Grimlock, then I'd get one or 2, but as it stands, the 3rd parties F'd me on this one.

Never having a full set of Dino's as a kid, these very close looking CHUGs is extremely welcomed for screwing around with. Being dinosaurs, the daughter will smash them around and roll play just the same as she does with her Voltron. Win Win.

Funny that they combine into the abortion they are calling Volcano-something-something.
Unread 09-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #3781
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

I never paid $200 for any of them. $100 for red Soar, $125 for KO OS Rex, $150/ea for the other three during various sales. No way was I going to shell out a grand for Dinobots. I don't even like them THAT much (no brains, no disguises, WTF!). But they do look really nice on the shelf, so I don't regret getting them.

I only had Grimlock and Swoop as a kid, the leader and the one that could fly... easily the two best IMO. The other three were basically interchangeable in my kid-brain.

Last edited by nacho; 09-12-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Unread 09-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #3782
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

G.I.*EDDIE is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Yeah, not caring about the dinobots at all saved me a lot of money. Just a ridiculous concept even IF the disguise was a real dinosaur. Even IF they were the right size.

Some of the 3P sets looked amazing (Giga's the most appealing to me), but certainly no worth the cost to someone who has no interest.
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #3783
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the subtle reminder.
Unread Today, 07:06 AM   #3784
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Can't wait to see this guy when he's finished. I might have to paint the trailer/torso silver or grey after seeing it.

Minor/Repaint: - WIP - OS Jinbao Bruticus | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Unread Today, 09:05 AM   #3785
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

That is pretty darn impressive. Still thinking of pulling the trigger on this brute, but where do I put it? If I leave it combined, I can't enjoy the individual bots, but leaving them uncombined is just criminal.

Regardless, that's nice work. I want to be able to do stuff like that. I've been reading up on techniques, equipment, materials, and such. I just bought my first airbrush, tons of supplies, and now I'm cleaning my garage to make room to set it all up.

Alas, I fear that my skills won't be able to do any of it justice. I see crappy customs on the web and assume that's how mine will look. I know I probably just need patience and practice, but I don't have the attention span to re-do anything! I'm going to start with some Marvel Legends and go from there. I have a couple of TF customs about half-complete, so maybe I'll practice on them.

Unread Today, 11:36 AM   #3786
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Wish I had known you were looking for an airbrush. I used mine only a few times and gave up on it. I just don't have the skills. I think my issue was jumping straight to a double action brush with zero airbrushing skills.
Unread Today, 12:52 PM   #3787
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Airbrushing solid colors is easier than a rattle can, but just too much time for setup and clean up for me. Grab a couple of deluxe CHUGs to practice your painting/weathering skills and then go from there. All of your first ones are going to look silvery until you figure out the whole drybrushing thing. Practice is the only way to learn that trait and what looks good to your eye and on camera. Even I will not do a whole paint job like that guy on a transformer because I hate pulling pins and taking the entire thing apart. It's way more complex than a Joe or a 1:18th vehicle.
Unread Today, 01:13 PM   #3788
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.*EDDIE View Post
Wish I had known you were looking for an airbrush. I used mine only a few times and gave up on it. I just don't have the skills. I think my issue was jumping straight to a double action brush with zero airbrushing skills.
Oh man, all my research said not to waste my money on a single action that I would end up replacing for a better one in a few months. I bought an Iwata double action. D'oh!

The amazon reviews convinced me it was easy enough for a beginner, but I may be sorry.

I see all these custom ML figures that are done with airbrushes... then I see the ones done with a brush. It's night and day. One looks factory, and the other looks like a mexican KO. If I'm going to spend the money on base figures and spend the time to get them right, I want my stuff to not suck.

I do hate the idea of having to clean the airbrush, but from what I read, I'll save that extra time in not spending forever doing the priming and such.

It'll be an experiment one way or the other.

Unread Today, 06:04 PM   #3789
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

You did right with a double action iwata and hopefully the matching studio pump. Hopefully it has detachable bottles instead of a cup for the paint so you can switch colors. The problem with learning how to airbrush is first learning how to vary the width of your spray which sounds easy enough (closer is thinner), but then you have to factor in the needle being used, how you thinned the paint, how much pressure the compressor is set for and finally how you press the trigger. There are so many variables so unless you are willing to watch a bunch of classes and then be detail oriented on you mixes, you will find it hard to repeat any success. Since I had to spray in my unheated garage, live in the Midwest tundra and have better shit to do when it’s nice out, I just never really learned. I still have it and next time I live in a big enough space, I will get a hood and I will learn. Probably take a class at the JuCo.
Unread Today, 07:39 PM   #3790
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

With that double action, I kept drying out the paint in the tip in my attempt to get the air flow and paint flow just right. It ends up spitting paint because of the slight clog and I have to pull it all apart and clean it and start that process over. Pulling it apart and cleaning it over and over is really discouraging and annoying to the point that by the time I get it right, I'm in no mood to mess with it.
Unread Today, 07:52 PM   #3791
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

I didn't buy their pump, as I have a nice Porter-Cable compressor already. It has a regulator knob, but I don't know how precise it is.

I intentionally got the airbrush with the cup, as it was recommended to be the best for beginners, as well as being easier to clean (win-win). The recommendations did suggest the larger cup though, so that's the direction I went. I'm not trying to paint an automobile, so the ones with the bottles seemed like overkill for painting superheroes and robots.

Truthfully from what I've read, people who do this a lot and actually get good at it have many airbrushes. They have both kinds (cups/bottle). They have separate ones with different tips so they don't have to change them. These people are all-in to a degree that I doubt I'll ever reach. I have no delusions about being a serious "artist". I just want to save time priming and to not have gloppy brush marks.