The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Everything Else If it doesn't belong anywhere else, it belongs here! (Try to keep it PG-13 please!)

Unread 01-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #8301
Dropshipbob
Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha

Dropshipbob is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Perhaps you should see a doctor?

Somtimes being grown up hurts more than growing up.

His foundation lie in the holy mountain, Selah.

Dropshipbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #8302
Dropshipbob
Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha

Dropshipbob is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Was watching the first Blade movie. The plot, to turn everyone into vampires.

So what were they going to do about food?

Somtimes being grown up hurts more than growing up.

His foundation lie in the holy mountain, Selah.

Dropshipbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #8303
ThunderDan19
Here Comes the Boom!!!

ThunderDan19 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

You there with the logic, stop it...

Come at me, bro...
ThunderDan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #8304
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

G.I.*EDDIE is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Maybe a Matrix style bank of "food"?
Unread 02-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #8305
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Just got back from watching Arrival. Total mind fuck. I'm not sure how the movie got such good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes unless everyone on that site watches as many quantum physics/mechanics documentaries as I do. I enjoyed it, but I was also able to pick out the theory they were running with helped understand what was happening.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #8306
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

It was an enjoyable movie, but nothing worthy of the wank it's gotten. Both Interstellar and Martian were better IMO.
Unread 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #8307
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Interstellar got pretty wanky there at the end.
Unread 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #8308
ThunderDan19
Here Comes the Boom!!!

Awards Showcase

Watched the most movies I ever have on a flight at 7. I'll let you all try to work out how far I had to travel to get that much screen time. I'll give you a hint, it was a long ass way. So here they are in no particular order:

Suicide Squad - as with pretty much every other DC movie, it was decidedly meh for me. I don't know why they can't come up with another single character that I even remotely care about. Last one was probably Supes in MoS (and only while he was less indestructible against his own). I really didn't care much at all for any of these antiheroes. I hated Jared Leto's Joker. (Sorry, but Ledger may never be approached, let alone matched for that role). Deadshot, Col. Flag or whatever his name was, Croc Guy, Aussie Guy, Ninja Girl and pretty much everybody else were just knockoffs of better Marvel characters IMO. And while Harley was definitely hot, her accent pretty much ruined her for me (I get that it's true to the character, it's just... bleh, annoying). And then there's the whole same guns, same bullets, different results BS. When the throwaway JSOC guys shot the baddies, they just shrugged it off, but when the main characters used essentially the same guns, knives, boomerangs, bats, etc., it was magic devastation. Bogus... Overall, just big, dumb throwaway fun(?)... kind of...

War dogs - surprisingly pretty good, and apparently based on a true story. It was more dramatic than I would have expected and less over the top, but still brought some laughs. I actually liked all the portrayals. Jonah Hill delivers with the snarky guy you love to hate, and the main character is relatable and likable. I also though Bradley Cooper was very good in support. And the main guy's wife/girl/whatever was quite easy on the eyes. Definitely worth checking out.

Dr. Strange - pretty good. Cumberbatch definitely delivers the guy you start off disliking, but end up rooting for. I wouldn't say I was crazy about the supporting actors or really quite get the whole story (not being a fan of DS in the comics), but it felt true to the genre and, I suppose most like GotG, did a good job for a fringe element of the MCU. It was fun and I liked it.

Deepwater Horizon - very well done. Marky Mark does yet another everyman hero, but this time he at least put on a few pounds of not muscle to make his physique look a little more believable as an oil rig guy instead of a Navy Seal. I thought Kurt Russell also did a great job as the rig chief. Malkovich was also great in his role. The rest of the supporting cast was decent as well, as were the effects. It was reasonably believable as the chronicle of the event while still bringing the big effects. Definitely worth seeing.

Snowden - yet another "based on real events" movie, but another pretty good one. Levitt plays the title character very well, making him relatable and bringing home his motivations. Supporting cast was also pretty good. Definitely check it out to see how things "actually" went down with all that. It was entertaining enough to keep you interested while it documented the story as well, and not too over the top or one-sided for an Oliver Stone flick.

The Accountant - surprisingly pretty good. I liked Affleck's portrayal of the main character. The story was interesting and fairly original, to me at least. Support from Anna Kendrick, JK Simmons and Jon Bernthal were all strong. Overall, while it had some slow parts (at least to a guy that was having a hard time staying awake by this time), it delivers and has an interesting ending. Certainly worth the time though.

The Girl on the Train - this one was probably the weakest of the batch, more because of it's convoluted trailer trash lifestyle invades upscale neighborhood plot. It was pretty well acted, and they kept you wondering for a while by revealing things slowly, but in the end, it was predictable, and only partially delivers anything remotely believable. I'd say it's worth a spot in the Netflix queue, but not worth pushing other movies down to watch sooner.

So that's it, the marathon review set for the marathon flight. Take it for what it's worth. As a whole, not too a bad way to pass nearly 16 hours when you got nothing better to do...

Come at me, bro...
Unread 02-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #8309
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Saw all those movies recently as well aside from Suicide Squad (I just refuse to bother with DC anymore) and Accountant and pretty much agree with all of your assessments. Yeah, the wife in War Dogs was especially beautiful.

The Joker in SS. Judging from trailers, there wasn't a doubt in mind that he would be just gawd awful. Pretty much just the Joker in name only. Yeah, Ledger is good, but have you seen the Joker in the Gotham show? He is absolutely spectacular! The kid is nailing it! The more I see of him the more I think that he's the very best combination of all past portrayals...live action and toon. Heck, even video game and comic.

Snowden. Did you watch Stefan Molyneux's "truth" video about him? I haven't yet, but I'm wondering how much it shares with the film.
Unread 02-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #8310
ThunderDan19
Here Comes the Boom!!!

Awards Showcase

I haven't watched any of the comic book shows besides AoS, which is okay at best. I'm happy to hear somebody is doing a good job with the Joker role. Leto definitely did not. I felt like SS was bad mainly because, unlike the better comic book movies out there, it seemed custom targeted to the same crowd who the Xformers movies have banked from. In other words, not an observant thinking person's movie...

I most likely have seen Molyneux's Truth About Snowden. I pretty much watch (or rather listen to) almost everything he drops while in the office. I don't remember it specifically, but I know SM does his homework, so what he presents is truth, to the best of his understanding from the research. I think the movie, while presenting a lot of the real information as well, mainly focused on Snowden's struggle with doing what he did, and why he finally did it. It did not contradict what I had heard and read about it, and brought it to life quite nicely.

Come at me, bro...
Unread 02-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #8311
ThunderDan19
Here Comes the Boom!!!

Awards Showcase

Alright, while their fresh, only 5 movies on the return flights. Let's see if I can remember them all:

Morgan - A pretty cool sci-fi/thriller movie. I wouldn't say it's totally predictable, but I had it pegged pretty early. But it was still pretty fun, and pretty short in duration at an hour and a half or so. It was a good choice for one of my short leg flights. Definitely worth a look.

The Magnificent 7 - Definitely worth checking out if you like westerns. I'd consider it the best western I've seen for some time. You got Denzel, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke, among others, so the acting was top notch. It's a little long at over 2 hours, but worth it with a good payoff.

Inferno - It's the next in the Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons series. I'll be honest and say that I liked it best of the three. Tom Hanks always delivers and this time he's joined by the girl from Rogue One. Some of the plot seems screwy at first, but they bring it together as the movie rolls along. Overall, a pretty good movie, and Hans Zimmerman brings another great soundtrack to the series.

Jack Reacher 2 - Okay, so I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be all that excited with this one after having seen the first. I am sorry to say that Tom Cruise's face continues to slowly melt to the point it's getting distracting. Dude has definitely had some work done and it is not holding form well as he ages. The movie as a whole came off as low budget for sure, with a really clunky plot and dialog and serious breaks from anything remotely near reality at times. Oh, and they pulled the jump the shark with adding an annoying teenager. Probably the only highlight was seeing Cobie Smolders back in near Agent Hill shape. Otherwise, very very meh.

Jason Bourne - Despite my total annoyance with Matt Damon as an actual person, he can still act. I thought I would be distracted by it, but wasn't too much. This is definitely another Bourne movie (Bourne vs. lots of CIA types), but hey, I guess that's why we all seem to keep coming back for more. If you like the others, you'll like this one. Bonus points for the new female lead whose name I don't know.

Come at me, bro...
Unread 02-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #8312
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

We watched Inferno a couple nights ago too. I liked it quite a bit overall, though when that bug eyed dude was explaining their rather convoluted plan...ugh.
Unread 02-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #8313
nacho
Oxford comma rules, b!tch

nacho is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

I saw LEGO Batman today with the kids. They were afraid that if we didn't go this weekend that the kids at school would ruin it (they would; those little fuckers ruin every ending without a shred of remorse).

So we had the "sunday morning while everyone is at church" plan... and it worked kinda. The theater was only about half full. As you could imagine, there were still plenty of kids, but overall they were reasonably behaved. i've definitely been to worse showings of kid-movies.

OPINIONS ABOUT THE FILM AHEAD. NO EXPLICIT SPOILERS, BUT DEFINITE OPINIONS

The film itself... going in, I was more excited than I should have been. The first part was really good, tons of cameos, fun references that went over kids' heads, overall not bad. The middle act was about what you'd expect, moving the story along. Then the ending completely fell apart. Without going into spoilers, it felt like I was watching an episode of Care Bears or My Little Pony. No, they didn't resolve the central conflict with the power of friendship, but it wasn't much better than that. It was sappy, melodramatic, and.... boring, a complete 180 from the first act that was so enjoyable.

I was expecting something as good as the lego movie, and it... wasn't. It wasn't bad, the kids enjoyed it, it had it's moments, but it definitely didn't deliver on the potential, IMO. I'll be anxious to hear what others think after they see it.

Meh. 6/10

Last edited by nacho; 02-12-2017 at 03:08 PM.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #8314
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

I'll not be seeing it until it comes out on video. No way I'm going alone, not asking a buddy, and no way I'm punishing myself by taking kids with me.
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #8315
nacho

Awards Showcase

Your wife won't go? I'm pretty sure I could have talked Maria into going sans kids.

Unread 02-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #8316
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

She's just not into going to the theater anymore. Back in the day it was a regular occurrence, but she's gotten even more sick of people than I have. We're so meant for each other.
Unread 02-13-2017, 05:21 AM   #8317
nacho

Awards Showcase

Can't argue there. I hate people. And the previous two times I went to the movies were the two recent star wars films. Once or twice a year is all I can stand. Loud people and $9 popcorn holds no interest for me.

Unread 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #8318
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Saw this trailer yesterday. Looks pretty cool. I dig the retro music in the trailer and hope it carries over to the film.

Unread 02-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #8319
K-Tiger
All solutions are final.

K-Tiger will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I saw LEGO Batman today with the kids. They were afraid that if we didn't go this weekend that the kids at school would ruin it (they would; those little fuckers ruin every ending without a shred of remorse).

So we had the "sunday morning while everyone is at church" plan... and it worked kinda. The theater was only about half full. As you could imagine, there were still plenty of kids, but overall they were reasonably behaved. i've definitely been to worse showings of kid-movies.

OPINIONS ABOUT THE FILM AHEAD. NO EXPLICIT SPOILERS, BUT DEFINITE OPINIONS

The film itself... going in, I was more excited than I should have been. The first part was really good, tons of cameos, fun references that went over kids' heads, overall not bad. The middle act was about what you'd expect, moving the story along. Then the ending completely fell apart. Without going into spoilers, it felt like I was watching an episode of Care Bears or My Little Pony. No, they didn't resolve the central conflict with the power of friendship, but it wasn't much better than that. It was sappy, melodramatic, and.... boring, a complete 180 from the first act that was so enjoyable.

I was expecting something as good as the lego movie, and it... wasn't. It wasn't bad, the kids enjoyed it, it had it's moments, but it definitely didn't deliver on the potential, IMO. I'll be anxious to hear what others think after they see it.

Meh. 6/10

Damn, I hate to hear that. TLM was better than it had any right to be, and I was hoping for the same here.
K-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #8320
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Batman is fun as long as you understand this is not a Batman movie per say. As Nacho said, it slows way the fuck down the longer it goes on, but I found this line odd:
Quote:
No, they didn't resolve the central conflict with the power of friendship
Umm, that's exactly what they did to win. That's the entire point of the movie. Batman needs to learn how to work with others otherwise his arse stays in the space pokie.

I'll certainly watch it again just to catch as many references as I can, but it definitely does not have that same addictive quality as TLM had.

The graphics for the upcoming Ninjago movie are stunning.
Unread 02-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #8321
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Saw John Wick 2 yesterday. I loved it. They triple downed on the hand-to-hand, head shots and splatter/chunkage. A 3rd was definitely set up.

Some things were, off. His legs must be destroyed by as often as he gets hit by a car. I was suspect on mag capacity occasionally. And the amount of assassins that must exist when you get to the end is kind of obnoxious. I mean, really? Really?!
Unread 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #8322
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA

Finally got around to watching Interstellar last night.. not sure why I decided to start a 3 hour move at 9:30PM.. but whatever. Slight spoilers ahead..

It was pretty good, really long, but good. I felt like the beginning 1/3 could have been shortened some and still had the same impact. I still felt pretty confused on exactly WHY things were so bad. I read the Wikipedia thing after the movie and that made a little more sense.

The story/science/etc aspect was cool.. I don't pretend to know anything about any of that.. but it was cool seeing crazy/weird planets and NASA stuff. Matt Damon is still a dick, but I was surprised to see him pop up, I had no idea he was in the movie. I finally get the "Matthew McConaughey crying meme" now, which is nice.

--

Also recently watched Hacksaw Ridge (on 4K UHD Bluray, with Dolby Atmos™!).

Thought it was good, again a little slow in the beginning, but I thought it established the character well enough. Garfields way of talking just bugged the shit out of me, but I assume that was done to replicate the actual guy? The 2nd half was great.. war is hell. I can't fathom that it was a real story. After watching it I read up on the real guy.. and his real story was EVEN MORE INSANE! (look it up)

Wish this would have won more Oscars.. but whatever.. gayblackmovie..

--

Star Trek: Beyond was good too, nothing special, but it was entertaining. I'll keep watching them. Was sad thinking that Chekov died IRL. The shot of the whole "original crew" was very nice, and sad, but I liked it.

I think that's it for new movies.. I had friends over last weekend and we watched like 4 movies on Saturday, while drinking.

--

Watched (again):

Oblivion this is one of my FAVORITE Tom Cruise movies.. I don't know what it is about this movie.. but I can watch it anytime. The visuals are so great, and the music is wonderful. The story is light enough where you don't need to be paying attention to it 100% to enjoy it. Love it.

Big Trouble in Little China is another of my 'anytime' movies. I love it so much. SOOOO quotable. It's amazing, and has aged pretty well I think, all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #8323
ThunderDan19
Here Comes the Boom!!!

Awards Showcase

Oblivion does have a pretty good soundtrack. I have it, as well as quite a few others, on my phone. They are a great cue for me for chilling and sleeping and such. I love them because they make me epic mellow, almost as well as a good day at the shooting range.

Come at me, bro...
Unread 03-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #8324
G.I.*EDDIE
gobbles a LOT of cock

Awards Showcase

Both Interstellar and The Martian tried really hard for scientific accuracy either based on real science or science theory. They consulted with "top, men" in the field. The extras for both of those movies were great.
Unread 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #8325
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA

Yeah, I think I liked the Martian better.. but they were both good. Seeing Interstellar AFTER seeing the Martian made me laugh a little when Matt Damon popped out. I was like "They're on MARS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote