The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Everything Else If it doesn't belong anywhere else, it belongs here! (Try to keep it PG-13 please!)

Unread 10-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Riotheory
Enlisted

Riotheory is on a distinguished road
Default Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans

I make my students get a Hulu membership for a month so they can watch a few assorted shows for assignments. I tend to dislike Hulu because the HD commercials turn a forty-minute show into an hour-and-forty-minute show, so I signed up for the 11.99 membership. It's the only way to watch anything on Hulu, I think.

I digress.

While looking for some reason to justify spending 11.99 a month for Hulu, I came across Iron-blooded Orphans. I'm not a die-hard Gundam fan. I really liked Mobile Suit Gundam, War in a Pocket, 8th MS Team, and Gundam Wing. I haven't made it through any of the others because they annoyed me too much. IBO is ongoing--Hulu has the first season and is adding each subtitled episode as they air, so I don't know how I'll feel when the story is done, but I'm thinking that it is going to be my favorite.

It's quite a bit darker than previous Gundam shows, so that may make it more or less appealing. In this story line, the focus is on a group of child-soldier mercenaries. They start the first episode practically as slaves and first-line fodder, but the kids take over after feeling betrayed, and after some bound-prisoner executions, they go into business fighting for money mercenary style in order to survive. All of the Gundam shows play on themes and tropes from previous versions, but this one has a very unique spin and the characters are compelling as they try to navigate a universe ruled by corporations and corrupt bureaucracy.

Have any of you been watching it?

It looks like it's on YouTube for the moment, as well.

https://youtu.be/XsuzL6GYk3c

Last edited by Riotheory; 10-31-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Riotheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Is that the one with the kids who have an old suit in the garage and the ability to neural link to it? I watched a couple episodes and enjoyed it, then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder because it was good.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
lancelot
Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ

lancelot is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

My friend and I had been watching it on Toonami. It airs on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim/Toonami/Whatever the hell it is now.

We really like it, it's the best Gundam anime to be made in a long while, much better than 00, Seed, AGE, and Recongista. Those last two in particular were pretty disastrous, so seeing Gundam take a grittier, less whiney, and less preachy approach is refreshing.

Raise your flag.
lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Riotheory
Enlisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsguy88 View Post
Is that the one with the kids who have an old suit in the garage and the ability to neural link to it? I watched a couple episodes and enjoyed it, then forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder because it was good.
Sure thing. I'm enjoying it, even the way I can't seem to predict where it's going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
My friend and I had been watching it on Toonami. It airs on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim/Toonami/Whatever the hell it is now.

We really like it, it's the best Gundam anime to be made in a long while, much better than 00, Seed, AGE, and Recongista. Those last two in particular were pretty disastrous, so seeing Gundam take a grittier, less whiney, and less preachy approach is refreshing.

Raise your flag.
I agree completely. There are some things that really make the show for me that are pretty subtle. I like the way the Tekkadan kids have mentors who can say variations of "Have you really thought that through?" in a way that doesn't come across as super lame. There was a scene like that in this last episode where they were talking about Chocolate Guy's proposal to make them the rulers of Mars and how that would affect their relationship with Teiwaz. Another subtle scene that I loved is toward the end of the episode when Mika and Orga are talking and Mika pulls out some kind of weird candy/protein bar and Orga just takes it and opens it for him. I don't know why that resonated so much with me, but it really made what was kind of a boring episode much cooler to me.

Have any of you been keeping up with it?
Unread 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
lancelot
Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ

lancelot is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Yes, we just saw the last couple episodes on Adult Swim which dropped some pretty heavy stuff on the cast.

If I had any complaints about the show, it's that in a future society with a massive news media, it's weird that people could not identify a massively important public political figure. I'm a little annoyed that the Gjallarhorn forces seem to be highly incompetent, although that might be a result from how complacent the group became after essentially becoming a status clique for certain members of Earth's aristocracy.

Did you notice the map shown while the Tekkadan group was planning? Australia has a huge whole in it, right where Sydney use to be. It could just be a homage to the first Gundam series, but you could argue that this series sequels the Universal Century timeline.
lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Riotheory
Enlisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
Yes, we just saw the last couple episodes on Adult Swim which dropped some pretty heavy stuff on the cast.

If I had any complaints about the show, it's that in a future society with a massive news media, it's weird that people could not identify a massively important public political figure. I'm a little annoyed that the Gjallarhorn forces seem to be highly incompetent, although that might be a result from how complacent the group became after essentially becoming a status clique for certain members of Earth's aristocracy.

Did you notice the map shown while the Tekkadan group was planning? Australia has a huge whole in it, right where Sydney use to be. It could just be a homage to the first Gundam series, but you could argue that this series sequels the Universal Century timeline.
Are you talking about the Bearded Man? It is annoying that so much media could be so unhelpful, unless it's a commentary on how over-saturated media is now and how little of it is helpful.

I noticed that map and was wondering the timeline is the same or if it is just a homage to the UC timeline. If it is a continuation, how do you think that past story lines could affect IBO, if at all?