The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Everything Else If it doesn't belong anywhere else, it belongs here! (Try to keep it PG-13 please!)

Unread 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA
Default The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 15 Years Later

Can you believe LOTR:FOTR came out 15 years ago (tomorrow)?

This makes me feel even older than usual.

I adored this movie, and mostly still do. I don't think I've watched it since we binged all three before the Hobbit came out, but I have most of it memorized still. I got the Blu-ray EE set, so I think it might be time to revisit the trilogy this month.

The first trailers had me hooked, I was all up on TheOneRing.net and AICN.. always looking for something new, or cool, or whatever. Back then it felt so 'new' and 'cool' to be learning things over the internet, or seeing set photos.. or whatever. At that time you usually had to wait for a (PRINT!) magazine to do an article or wait for a behind the scenes book to come out long afterwards. I'd read the books a couple years prior, in High School, so the material was all pretty fresh in my head. In August of 2001, I got a fancy hardbound copy of The Hobbit, and re-read that for good measure.

My friends were all moderately excited for the movie, and they committed to reading the books.. but most of them didn't get past Bilbo's Birthday party (losers). We planned to get in line early for the evening show (wow, how 2001) at one of the big LA theaters (Stadium Seating!). I knew I wanted to experience the movie differently though, so I took the day off work and went to the 11AM screening (first showing) at the local theater, by myself.

Holy moly. I was not prepared. I remember sitting there, transfixed, amazed, crying big manly tears when Gandalf dies (lol spoiler). The picture was beautiful, the music was enchanting, everything was perfect. The build up to the final fight, and Boromir's death, and the splitting of the Fellowship made me feel all of the feels before that was a thing. Enya? Yeah, more tears.

I went out to my car, and teared up. Not really tears of sadness, not really tears of joy, somewhere in-between. This was barely two months after 9/11, and everyone was still on edge about everything, and while the material on-screen couldn't be further from what was going on, something about it was equally comforting and emboldening. It provided some kind of escape from the real world, while also being a 'pressure release' for some of the emotion I had built up.

At some point, I ordered this poster and had it framed. I thought I'd lost it during one of my many moves in my 20's, but this past summer my Dad asked me if I still wanted it. I guess it'd been in his basement all this time. I happily took it home, and the message seems just as apt today as it did in December 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Riotheory
Enlisted

Riotheory is on a distinguished road

Fellowship is still my favorite of them all. My wife and I saw it over and over again on the big screen. That movie had so much awe and majesty. I had this poster (until my kids destroyed it )
It's been a while since I saw it last, but I heard a bit of the sound track the other day and it took me right back.
Riotheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah the soundtrack is A+++ tier.. still can't believe it is so good.

Listening to the "Complete Recordings" on YouTube is great.

Quote:
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
Unread 12-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Akunin
Snow Bunny

Akunin is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Hmm, I might have to get around to watch it. I liked the books but was far too busy at the time the movie was released to make it to the theater. By the time I even thought about watching it the Return of the King was just coming out. Reviews I'd read said Jackson murdered the book so I never felt the need to watch any of them.
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Time to ban Akunin.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Riotheory
Enlisted

Riotheory is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsguy88 View Post
Time to ban Akunin.
Ban Hammer! Ban Hammer!

I know some people were upset with the changes Jackson made, but overall, I felt like the changes were inline with the spirit of the story. It's one of the only book-to-movie adaptations that I didn't regret watching. As someone who had read the books first, one of the things I really appreciated was all of the subtle things Jackson threw in for the readers. The scene where Frodo offers Galadriel the ring, for example, probably stood on its own, but for someone who knows her history from The Silmarillion, the scene had subtext profound and beautiful. If you haven't seen them, I think it would be worth your time. The cast was amazing; Jackson really brought Middle Earth to life, and the soundtrack is one of the greatest out there.
Riotheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Akunin
Snow Bunny

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsguy88 View Post
Time to ban Akunin.
Hey now... I've only heard what Jackson has done, not witnessed!

I'm a fan of the books, save the hammer for after I've seen Return of the King. I figure if I start watching now.. I should be done by Monday!
Unread 12-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Haha yeah I liked the adaptation for the most part. There were some things I would have liked to see, and some stuff that wasn't needed.

Really the only thing I didn't like was how they portrayed the ghost army in ROTK.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
Akunin
Snow Bunny

Awards Showcase

I finished Fellowship last night, and overall I really enjoyed it.

I found the casting of Sam a little distracting, I can't put my finger on it but Sean Astin felt out of place. Too much Goony in that one.

I really enjoyed Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen performances and the way the Ringwraiths were portrayed. So yeah, I'm looking forward to the second.. I'm anxious to see just what the third is like since it was the one that I waited as long as I have to see these
Unread 12-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Good for you! They're good, and they hold up pretty well, especially for a 15 year old movie.

The CGI/special effects especially, there are some that look cheesy/dated, but as a whole they're still very passable even today.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Agreed, the ghosts were the worst part. I forget how their battle portrayed in the books.

I never watch these anymore since I can't stand to watch the 3hr versions after seeing the 4hr versions and who the hell has time for that these days.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

In the books the ghosts were mostly just using scare factor. I don't think they killed anyone directly. They helped Aragorn take over the Corsairs ships, then their oath was fulfilled and they disappeared. They didn't accompany the army to Minas Tirith.

Yeah, I only watch the Extended Editions now.. and that's a whole day (or weekend) task now.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: