The Fighting 1:18th

The Fighting 1:18th (http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/forum9/)
-   -   Official NSA's Book Club Threadô (http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/everything-else/2402-official-nsas-book-club-thread.html)

NSA 02-20-2012 10:02 PM

Official NSA's Book Club Threadô

I used the search button and couldn't believe we don't have a thread for BOOKS! They still exist people! They arn't like Diet Dr Pepper!!

Anyway.. figured we could muse about them old paperweights in here.. until everything goes all digital.. and I guess we could talk about those in here too.

BUT NONE OF YOUR NEW FANGLED COMICY BOOKLETS! NO PICTURE MAGAZINES EITHER!

That being said..

Just got in two new books today from Amazon (DOT COM!)

Halo: Primordium (The Forerunner Saga, Book II)
Halo: Glasslands (First in a new post-Halo 3 series by Karen Traviss!)

I've read the Book I of the Forerunner Saga, and while not amazing (seemed short), it was insightful and entertaining. Looking forward to seeing where they go with things, and CAN NOT WAIT for the Glasslands..

I've read all the HALO books I believe, and the original book trilogy really got me hooked on the HALO Universe. So good.

Midget 02-21-2012 03:42 AM

Oh, shit. That reminds me. We're supposed to read a book for drill before next month… I can't remember the title now…

gawdang nefangled Marine Corps… making us read and shizz…. Back in the day we didn't have time to read! We were too busy killin'!!

Fled74 02-21-2012 04:09 AM

Finished "World War Z" last month, currently reading "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors."

Slaymaker 02-21-2012 05:10 AM

I have been reading a lot lately. My parents got me a Kindle Touch for Christmas...Currently I am reading Don Mann's "Inside SEAL Team 6" Some parts are hard to read because much of what he wrote was removed by goverment agencies, but they just printed black bars. He was a medic and is very graphic in his tales of trama.

I just found his website when I was searching for the name of the book. http://www.usfrogmann.com/

K-Tiger 02-21-2012 06:32 AM

Not reading anything currently. I'm gonna hit up the used book store soon and try to find a copy of The Short-Timers, and after watching part of the movie again, A River Runs Through It and Other Stories.

Tried reading Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America, but it's Mein Kampf-dry.

nacho 02-21-2012 06:36 AM

Believe it or not, I've been reading something besides comics. The Presidential Agent series from WEB Griffin. There are seven books so far, and I've read the first five. Once I started I couldn't put them down. Great espionage/military books, and they only have about half as many characters as a Clancy, so you don't need a cheatsheet for all the names... Can't recommend them enough if you like military fiction.

The Ewokhunter 02-21-2012 06:45 AM

I'm not refined enough for this club. If it ain't got them pictures in them, I ain't reading it.

Akunin 02-21-2012 10:32 AM

I still love my paper books but downloaded a bunch of public domain on my kindle. Been reading count of monte cristo for the last month and only 25% through it. Forgot how damned big that was. Onthers in my collection include art of war, book of five rings and some dragonlance novels thrown in for good measure

Slaymaker 02-21-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akunin (Post 79712)
art of war, book of five rings

are those 2 free for kindle? I have paperback versions already - but will add them to my kindle too if they are free. :D

Wild weasel 02-21-2012 03:24 PM

I've been reeding american sniper from Chris Kyle and will then start a book on the 160th soar

Charade 02-21-2012 03:39 PM

My brother recommended The Hunger Games trilogy to me, which I just finished. I remember now why I don't read a lot of fiction. It was terribly written and a waste of time. I can't believe they were best-sellers.

I'm debating on starting either Chris Kyle's American Sniper or Tina Fey's Bossypants (I really enjoyed Simon Pegg's Nerd Do Well, and I'm hoping Fey's book is more of the same).

Wild weasel 02-21-2012 03:45 PM

^american sniper for sure

Slaymaker 02-21-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild weasel (Post 79777)
^american sniper for sure

2nd! It was a great read!

K-Tiger 02-21-2012 05:20 PM

Went to the local used book store and didn't see what I wanted, so I grabbed A Life in a Year: The American Infantryman in Vietnam and will be reading that.

fogger1138 02-22-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charade (Post 79772)
My brother recommended The Hunger Games trilogy to me, which I just finished. I remember now why I don't read a lot of fiction. It was terribly written and a waste of time. I can't believe they were best-sellers.

They're not THAT poorly written; you're just miles away from the intended audience, which I believe was teenage girls. :) (and yeah, I read them too)

Currently reading Mistborn: The Final Empire and re-reading Neal Asher's The Technician.

Akunin 02-22-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaymaker (Post 79714)
are those 2 free for kindle? I have paperback versions already - but will add them to my kindle too if they are free. :D

Unfortunately not. But search for public domain on your kindle and a bunch come up. Bram Stokers Dracula, Frankenstein and others, just to name a few

Slaymaker 02-22-2012 09:09 AM

thanks!

Bravestarr 02-22-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Tiger (Post 79621)
Tried reading Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America, but it's Mein Kampf-dry.

Audio CD for the car!

K-Tiger 02-22-2012 09:39 AM

I fear I'd wrap the car around a pole.

I just found my copy of that Michelle Malkin book about interment, might pick that back up after I finish ALiaY.

unclassified 02-22-2012 04:51 PM

i got some books, but i never read any of em, i got the gospel of judas, gospel of mary magdeline, ( i think it was called) um the davinci code, something about the freemasons, actually a few about the freemasons. i actually forget what i have, but all have to deal with freemasonry and religion. not religion as they teach, but more of what the church deleted from the book.

speaking of the church, my ma told me yesterday i need to go to church, i'm a heathen, lol. my reply was, i got to church quite often for the past few years, i would meet up with the girl next door and bang her in the parkinglot or get a blow job. we have a pit in the back of the church and i would do her doggy style back there right by these big crosses. did her behind the rectory once too, i say that counts for going to church. we went there because we couldn't let her fiance know. :)

i also lost my virginity at church when i just turned 15, but i never got the fathers name.

unclassified 02-22-2012 04:57 PM

sike, it was with my first girl friend back on new years night of 92/93, the church was the closest place to her house.

YT1 02-22-2012 05:00 PM

I listen to audio books all day because I drive a lot. I am listening to the Orphan Master's Son, it's about N Korea and is pretty good. I am also reading Panzer Commander which for the life of me I can't remember if I have read before. Those WW2 memoirs all start to run together.

K-Tiger 03-09-2012 06:36 AM

Finished A Life In A Year last night. Great read, and the surprise ending (something you don't get in nonfiction books) was still affecting, even if I did get it spoiled inadvertnetly while reading reviews(Grrrrr).

Definitely recommended if you're into Vietnam or the lot of the common infantryman.

Moved on to Dak To, and it occured to me that 21st Century made action figures of the unit it's focused on.

The Ewokhunter 03-09-2012 07:04 AM

started Game of Thrones. So tempted to watch the movie first, but I know if I do, I won't bother with the book.

fogger1138 03-09-2012 07:12 AM

I've always found that it's easier to see the movie and then read the book than the other way 'round. Less disappointment that way.