The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Star Wars The Forum strikes back!

Unread 09-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #1401
nacho
"Big Guns"

nacho is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

I found the 6" BS Landspeeder at WM today. Against my better judgement, I picked one up, but I have yet to open it. I just keep wondering where I'm going to put it.

Still I couldn't resist a big-ass landspeeder because...?

nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #1402
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

I put up a mini-review of the Landspeeder in case anyone is interested.

Star Wars: 6″ Black Series Landspeeder – TELETRAAN ONE

Unread 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #1403
Deslock
Enlisted

Deslock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Deslock

I've just been so dissappointed in the new line up. Still 5 POA, and crappy figs.

Like the Rose figure.....

"Oh, I gotta have that action figure of a dumpy woman in a vomit brown jumpsuit !!"*

*Said no kid ever....*

"Oh, and there's another female pilot in a vomit brown jumpsuit...".

I love female action figures, but at least make them kinda cool looking.

Hasbro is in business to make money right ?. I don't get the total lack of color, and the severely under sized vehicles really put me off too. Kylo's new Tie Silencer is tiny, just like the U-Wing. At least the new ones don't fire Nerf darts...lol.

I work in the Toy Dept., and I see customers looking at the Star Wars stuff, complain about the prices, and they're not buying them. $200.00 for that new play set is insane...
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #1404
K-Tiger
All solutions are final.

K-Tiger will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
I've just been so dissappointed in the new line up. Still 5 POA, and crappy figs.

Like the Rose figure.....

"Oh, I gotta have that action figure of a dumpy woman in a vomit brown jumpsuit !!"*

*Said no kid ever....*

"Oh, and there's another female pilot in a vomit brown jumpsuit...".

I love female action figures, but at least make them kinda cool looking.

Hasbro is in business to make money right ?. I don't get the total lack of color, and the severely under sized vehicles really put me off too. Kylo's new Tie Silencer is tiny, just like the U-Wing. At least the new ones don't fire Nerf darts...lol.

I work in the Toy Dept., and I see customers looking at the Star Wars stuff, complain about the prices, and they're not buying them. $200.00 for that new play set is insane...
Rose and Paige were the only things offered that look like they're even remotely useful. I could easily integrate them into Joes or ARW if not for the shit articulation.
K-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #1405
Deslock
Enlisted

I don't get it. I really don't. You can't tell me that Hasbro can't afford to articulate their Star Wars figures for $8.00 each, when Lanard can do it for their $3.00 figures literally right across the aisle, and those $3.00 figures are a damned two pack.

I hated the fact that the Star Wars figures I had back in the day couldn't sit down properly or be posed, but the Joes and Cobras could, and all my friends thought the same.

I had a friend come over today to weld in a wrought iron gate into my fence, and he brought over his wife and 8 year old son. So I told him he could play with some of my figures and vehicles whilst they were waiting for his dad to finish. I asked him which figures he'd like to play with, and he picked out some of my Joes and Cobras, saying right out "Because I can move them more".

I know the Lanard King Kong sets kinda suck, but I gotta give them credit for including a articulated figure with weapons and equipment, a set piece, and a monster, all for $10.00.

And the Lanard figues really move at that price point. Where as most Star Wars figures pegwarm. We finally got rid of the last Zuvios at $1.00, and they still sat there for a loooong time.

The Marvel Legends 3/ 3/4 didn't sell at all until we clearanced them at $3.00 instead of $12.00. And we can't even get rid of the Titan series statues after marking them down to $3.00, no one wants them.

I think they really screwed up by not putting remote controls with the R2's and the new walkers instead of using "Apps" on phones/tablets. You can only download the Apps until next year. I've had customers refuse to buy them for that very reason. "What happens after a few years and I've changed phones...I gotta try and keep an old phone in working condition ?."

I sincerly hope they've learned their lesson, and that's why they're bringing back articulated figures. Everyone loves the great sculpting on the ones now, but hate the 5 POA. And the prices.....ouch.
Unread 09-11-2017, 04:56 AM   #1406
K-Tiger
All solutions are final.

K-Tiger will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase

Hasbro has outright said that when it comes to 3.75 SW figures that 5 PoA has by and large tested perfectly adequate for the age group targeted by the line. Not sure why they're rehashing that CommTech gimmick from The Phantom Menace, outside of they think kids have to have SOME kind of action feature that doesn't relate to the figures actually being articulated.

Reckon we have to make do with the Black Series.

Last edited by K-Tiger; 09-11-2017 at 04:59 AM.
K-Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #1407
Videoviper
illuminati

Videoviper is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tiger View Post
Rose and Paige were the only things offered that look like they're even remotely useful. I could easily integrate them into Joes or ARW if not for the shit articulation.
I never thought this wave would be anything more than the last wave of TFA, with a preview of TLJ.
Videoviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #1408
Deslock
Enlisted

Quote:
Hasbro has outright said that when it comes to 3.75 SW figures that 5 PoA has by and large tested perfectly adequate for the age group targeted by the line. Not sure why they're rehashing that CommTech gimmick from The Phantom Menace, outside of they think kids have to have SOME kind of action feature that doesn't relate to the figures actually being articulated.
As I said before, I don't get it. The funny thing is, they say that's fine for the age group they're targeted for. The kids do look at them, but all I see is adult collectors actually buying them, which few ones we do sell. The A-Wings flew off the shelf, but Kylo's Tie, the modded B-Wing, and that dippy Police skiff are just sitting there. And that BB-8 Playset, people see that price and just say "Nope." Not even to put it in layaway.

And I agree about that whole Commtech device back in the day, that went over like a wet fart. And I think this new gimmick will too. Who wants to have some dopey device actually strapped to your hand all the time to make your figures talk, and to make the vehicles make sounds.

Now if they could find a way to re-boot the old Fisher Price Adventure people, that I think would take off. Yeah, they were only 5 poa, but they were pretty inexpensive, and the stuff was just amazing. Outdoor sets, Space sets, Hell, even a news van. :

https://youtu.be/ZS0DG1eJiYs

https://youtu.be/Uz8Q9DADlCE

These guys were right up there with Lego in regards of no limit to the imagination. Kinda like the old Aventure Team G.I. Joe, but they were smaller, so many more vehicles and accessories. Male and female figures, and even children.

They say that the action figure market is dead right now, but I personally believe that's because they are trying to force them into established storylines, instead of making it so the children can make up their own adventures. Take Rogue One for example.... If the child has seen the movie, how can they have their figures go on more adventures, when they outright know everyone is dead.

Kind of a bummer.

And I was truly suprised they went that route. They could have had a few survive and find a remote system to run around in, hiding from the Empire.
I'm certainly not against dark movies; But they don't design toy lines for kids of them to make a profit. That stuff is for adult collectors.

I'm not even going to start on G.I. Joe. My Gawd, how to drive a profitable franchise right into the ground with shitty movie tie ins....

It's like they've totally forgotten that the main driving force is the incredible imaginations of children. It's those flights of fancy and creativity; the very reason while we're all toy geeks to this very day.

The Imaginext line is EXPLODING. I have a bunch for my own son.

I think that if the Power Team Elite series had a "villain sect" so to speak, and a decent show to tie in with it like the old G.I.Joe, it would explode too. What's the point of having an elite military force, that literally doesn't have anyone to combat against...? What's the point ?.
Unread 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #1409
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
It's like they've totally forgotten that the main driving force is the incredible imaginations of children. It's those flights of fancy and creativity; the very reason while we're all toy geeks to this very day.
Yeah, this right here is correct. But I'm not sure kids have the attention span or practice with their imaginations that we did. Video games, tablets, and 24 hour cartoons let them have anything they want instantly.

When we were kids, cartoons were reserved for a few hours on saturday morning, and maybe an hour in the afternoons if you could get home fast enough. We watched GIJoe, and if we wanted to "continue the adventure", we played with our toys and used our imaginations.

If my kids are into something and they want to continue the adventure, they cue up the next season on netflix or play the new game. The imagination is sadly bordering on obsolescence.

Unread 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #1410
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Point to Nacho. It saddens me to watch my daughter being so screen addicted. Thankfully I did not allow her to touch a screen until first grade and would get on the floor with her to play with her toys, so she will occasionally get stuff out and roll play with it.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1411
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

My kids do love legos, and I really enjoy when they make their own stuff, not just sticking to the sets/directions. So they have some imagination... but for some reason, my kids are not interested in action figures much.

They do play in the floor, but it's... chaotic. The Mario Kart characters visit the lego Friends in the playmobil dollhouse and take a ride with the Angry Birds in the millennium falcon. It makes my head hurt.

I am President Business.

The only franchise-crossing of my toys would be that every adversary would take up residence in Castle Greyskull. Cobra, Decepticons, Skeletor, the Empire...didn't matter. But I did not mix franchises, as the scale differences and incompatible backstories prevented such nonsense. In the early days, Cobra would employ some stormtroopers to supplement the blueshirts, but they were just soldiers in white armor, not "Galactic Empire" stormtroopers. As a rule, Chewbacca did not drive the MOBAT or any crazy shit like that. Preposterous!

But I'm sure I wasn't the only kid with very specific/peculiar play-patterns

Last edited by nacho; 09-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Unread 09-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #1412
Dropshipbob
Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha

Dropshipbob is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

I mostly didn't cross streams unless I was playing D&D...when I did, anything remotely D&D'ish was mixed in.

Somtimes being grown up hurts more than growing up.

His foundation lie in the holy mountain, Selah.

Dropshipbob is offline   Reply With Quote