The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Tech Talk A forum for video games, technology, real dolls.. wait what?

Unread 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA
Default Official Halo Thread

For all things, Halo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
red4
Enlisted

red4 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSA View Post
Have you read those Halo books before?
Nope. I have the first 2 volumes of the comicbook version of Fall of Reach, and I've always been a fan of the Halo universe.
red4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

You'll really like them, I think. There one more from that series that takes place after Halo 1, can't remember the name but it's also by Nylund. Those were some of the best books I think. The Fall of Reach (while not exactly accurate anymore due to Halo: Reach) was really really epic.

I've read all the Halo books, and even the bad ones are interesting and give you more insight into the Halo universe.

Quote:
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You'll really like them, I think. There one more from that series that takes place after Halo 1, can't remember the name but it's also by Nylund. Those were some of the best books I think. The Fall of Reach (while not exactly accurate anymore due to Halo: Reach) was really really epic.

I've read all the Halo books, and even the bad ones are interesting and give you more insight into the Halo universe.
I know quite a bit without having read the novels. Halopedia has everything summarized. Also, Fall of Reach has been revised to accommodate Halo: Reach. The edition I bought was published in 2010, and it's called The Definitive Edition.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4 View Post
I know quite a bit without having read the novels. Halopedia has everything summarized. Also, Fall of Reach has been revised to accommodate Halo: Reach. The edition I bought was published in 2010, and it's called The Definitive Edition.
Interesting.. I'll have to look for that. I read them back in the early 2000's when they were first published. Great book series nonetheless. The other writers do a good job, though the Nylund books are the best.

Halopedia is great, but it's not the same as reading through it in order and seeing organically how things fall into place.

I avoided all the Megablocks Halo stuff thus far, I know if I start I won't stop. And I have no room for legos.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Interesting.. I'll have to look for that. I read them back in the early 2000's when they were first published. Great book series nonetheless. The other writers do a good job, though the Nylund books are the best.

Halopedia is great, but it's not the same as reading through it in order and seeing organically how things fall into place.

I avoided all the Megablocks Halo stuff thus far, I know if I start I won't stop. And I have no room for legos.
I bought Halo: Reach Limited Edition solely for Halsey's journal. She's one of my absolute favorite characters, right up there with the Chief, Cortana, and Sergeant Johnson. And yes, I'm fully and happily aware of the connection between Cortana and Halsey.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

You'll enjoy Ghosts of Onyx and the new saga Karen Traviss is doing now, we'll.. kinda. It has a lot of Halsey.

So does the Fall of Reach and First Strike. I'm surprised they never really mentioned her in any of the games until Reach.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

I won't read any of the Forerunner saga, because I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that Tier 1 or 2 humans existed thousands of years ago, despite the long span of time between our first appearance on Earth, and the time we started using tools.

I prefer to imagine the story as it was originally conceived with the Forerunner merely seeing potential in the primitive human race just prior to the firing of the Halos.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

I don't see it as radically changing the universe, though they do throw some weird wrenches in the mix, that don't seem to NEED to be there. I blame it on fan's wanting to know everything about the Forerunners.

If anything, that saga explains more about the Flood, and the creation of the Halo's finally.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I don't see it as radically changing the universe, though they do throw some weird wrenches in the mix, that don't seem to NEED to be there. I blame it on fan's wanting to know everything about the Forerunners.

If anything, that saga explains more about the Flood, and the creation of the Halo's finally.
I had always hoped and believed the Halo universe existed without changing real world history. It made it so much more fun. But for them to say technologically advanced humans lived alongside the Forerunner is lame to the point of stupidity, in my opinion.
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tiger View Post
The epoxy is to glue the two halves together, though I suppose a good (loctite and others) CA glue would do just as well. The Bondo is to fill in the gap, and once dry can be sanded down so it looks like the hood is one piece again.

Bondo starts as a greyish goop to which you add red activator/hardener. Depending on how "hot" you mix it you can get several minutes of work time.
Interesting.. I might need some of this magical mixture to fill the holes in my M113... whats the constancy like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4 View Post
I had always hoped and believed the Halo universe existed without changing real world history. It made it so much more fun. But for them to say technologically advanced humans lived alongside the Forerunner is lame to the point of stupidity, in my opinion.
I don't think it changes real world history, at least how we perceive it. People just existed a LOT longer than we though. Rose up, got beat-the-fuck down, then got completely wiped out, then we got reseeded and had to start all over again. The fact that the humans got a chance to go on, where the Forerunners decided to end themselves speaks more to their guilt than anything else I suppose.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
People just existed a LOT longer than we though. Rose up, got beat-the-fuck down...
See, I don't believe that's possible. I don't believe we could have risen up all those years ago. I firmly believe humans are truly so slow and stupid that it has taken us as long as it has for us to reach our current level. It took us thousands and thousands of years to get motorized vehicles. We're too slow. The Forerunner saga books demand more suspension of disbelief than they can support. In my opinion. That's why the writers should simply have never put technologically advanced humans alongside the Forerunner. It's unnecessary, and lacks credibility.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Silly me, I thought the Official HAUL thread was the HALO thread.

So I made one..

I get your point, but 100,000 years seems like a long enough time to get from nothing to UNSC technology. You also have to factor in that they found Forerunner tech along the way, which would have jump started some of the developments.

And Halo takes place in 2552 (abouts), so that's 500+ years from NOW. Look back 20 years.. no real internet, no tiny cell phones, no Apple Siri(TM), etc. I can see us being at UNSC levels in 500 years (I guess?).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Silly me, I thought the Official HAUL thread was the HALO thread.

So I made one..

I get your point, but 100,000 years seems like a long enough time to get from nothing to UNSC technology. You also have to factor in that they found Forerunner tech along the way, which would have jump started some of the developments.

And Halo takes place in 2552 (abouts), so that's 500+ years from NOW. Look back 20 years.. no real internet, no tiny cell phones, no Apple Siri(TM), etc. I can see us being at UNSC levels in 500 years (I guess?).
Don't misunderstand what I said. I have no problem with the story saying we're advanced in the future. But I do have a problem with the story saying we were advanced in the past, because I do not believe that span of time was enough for us to get anywhere. Let me put it another way, so as to be less vague.

Real World
Evolutionary introduction of human race >>>> Humans begin to use tools = 100,000 years
Plausible

Halo Universe
Evolutionary introduction of human race >> Humans begin to use tools >> Humans reach technological parallel with Forerunner >> Humans are devolved to basic tool use again = 100,000 years
Implausible

Why? Because I believe humans were still taking baby steps where the Halo Universe suggests we were flying spaceships with the Forerunner. 100,000 years of baby steps.

100,000 years is a very short span of time. We could not have reached high technological status within that span of time. We're too slow and stupid for that.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

I see you put this in the videogame section. Now I must add that I don't give two shits about multiplayer. It's campaign or nothing for me.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

No, no no!

In the Halo universe, the humans were knocked down to essentially cavemen 100,000 years ago, and had to build back up to where we are today (Real world evolution).

The proto-humans? The Tier 1/2 humans would have evolved 100,000's of thousand of years ago (if not millions?), they were at their pinnacle of technology 100,000 years ago, close to, if not on par with the Forerunners. Likely they evolved side-by-side on opposite ends of the universe (Seeded themselves by the Precursors?). The humans only lost to the Forerunners because they had been fighting the Flood on a different front at the same time. When defeat was imminent at the hands of the Forerunners, the humans destroyed all their Flood research, in a last "fuck you" to the conquering Forerunners.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
No, no no!

In the Halo universe, the humans were knocked down to essentially cavemen 100,000 years ago, and had to build back up to where we are today (Real world evolution).

The proto-humans? The Tier 1/2 humans would have evolved 100,000's of thousand of years ago (if not millions?), they were at their pinnacle of technology 100,000 years ago, close to, if not on par with the Forerunners. Likely they evolved side-by-side on opposite ends of the universe (Seeded themselves by the Precursors?). The humans only lost to the Forerunners because they had been fighting the Flood on a different front at the same time. When defeat was imminent at the hands of the Forerunners, the humans destroyed all their Flood research, in a last "fuck you" to the conquering Forerunners.
Yeah, I suspected the years were wrong. What I'm trying to say is that, whatever the span of time is between when humans evolved, to the present day, is still not enough for us to have reached Tier 1 or 2. Be it thousands or millions of years - whatever the fossil record says. It was not enough, and has not been enough time.

We have iPhones today because that's exactly how long it has taken us to get iPhones. From the point where humans evolved, to the present day - that's how long it took us to invent the iPhone. We could not have invented iPhones 100,000 years ago, nor 200,000 years ago, nor 500,000 years ago, nor 1,000,000 years ago. Because we were still rolling around naked in our own feces during that time.

Last edited by red4; 03-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Well obviously you'd have to take it as OUR evolution is not the same as the Tier 1/2 humans. It's not really clear on the re-seeding of humans on earth. If they dropped off Cavemen.. or.. more evolved versions of us.

I'd lean towards homo-sapians, so that would take some of the needed time out of the equation.

As for fossil records, according to the books the 'original' humans may have originated on Earth but it's not entirely clear. They've only vaguely referenced the Tier 1/2 human civilizations, it's mostly been about the prison populations the Forerunners let live for testing/etc.

And yeah F the multiplayer.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

I don't know how to be clear.

Humans evolved on Earth. Humans evolved from monkeys, which evolved from rats, which evolved from lizards, which evolved from fish, etc etc etc. Our entire evolutionary lineage happened on Earth.

The fossil record indicates Humans appeared at a certain point in the past. Take that point, and then take today (March 4, 2012). Now imagine that span of time. Look at it as a physical line in the air in front of you. Hold up your left index finger to mark the birth of the first human in the universe. And hold up your right index finger to mark March 4, 2012. That space of time is exactly how long it has taken the human species to reach the level of technology where it currently resides. I firmly, staunchly, stubbornly, and unwaveringly believe this with absolute conviction.

The Halo Universe pisses in, on, and around this belief of mine.
Now, I'm not offended or anything like that. All I'm trying to do is to explain why the idea of tech-savvy humans standing alongside the Forerunner in the past is a stupid idea, and why it ruins Halo's credibility and fun for me. Which is why I choose to ignore the Forerunner Saga novels.

Last edited by red4; 03-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Oh, well, if you refuse to expand your thinking, I hope it continues to piss in your cheerios with exceeding abandon!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Quote:
you refuse to expand your thinking
How? Where? I said Halo is more fun when it fits into the real world. The Forerunner Saga makes Halo not fit in the real world.
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

I suppose.

I guess it depends on how far back you think people have "been here", as some say 200k years, some 400k, earliest fossils for the monkey people are what, a couple million?

I don't see how you can take your ridged view on human evolution and even align with any part of Halo then. It's Halo canon that life was wiped out 100,000 years ago by the firing of the Halos. People / animals / aliens were then reseeded on the various planets by the automated Forerunner machines after the Flood was eradicated. That's not the Forerunner saga.. that's Halo 1 from 343 Guilty Spark.

Best I can place it, "modern" humans go back roughly 200,000 years or so according to our fossil dating technology of today. Could it be possible that the Halo killing everyone messed with the fossil record? Maybe.

Either way.. I'm not sure why you'd accept one part of the fiction and completely reject the other, when they need to go together to make any kind of sense.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

I just can't buy into humans having amazing technology in the past. Not for the sake of how much I like Halo. I can accept it for loonier things like X-Men, or Final Fantasy, or Prometheus and Bob, or whatever. But not for Halo.
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
red4
Enlisted

Awards Showcase

Okay, I don't get this. I think the book itself mentions how a human can survive in outer space without a suit, as long as they hold their breath or something. Why then is Sam at risk of dying from decompression just because there's a hole in his suit? It's more like he's at risk of dying from suffocation, not decompression.
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Without a quote I have no idea what you're talking about.. it's been a while since I read H:tFoR.

Hmmm. Could just be a type or something. Odds are we'd freeze before suffocating or decompressing.. but I suppose it depends on the suit design.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: