The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

Tech Talk A forum for video games, technology, real dolls.. wait what?

Unread 03-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA
Question Mass Effect: Andromeda

Well.. it's almost here.

Through EA Access on Xbox, I got a 10-hour trial of the game. I played for about 4 hours last night, and got through the intro, the tutorial level, and a bunch of walking around the ship/etc. Even scanned a few planets.

... and it's... okay. I guess. It's not great. The story so far seems interesting, it has potential. The graphics are really not very good in some parts. The facial animation feels like it's somehow worse than the old games on the Xbox 360. I'm not sure how it's possible.. but it's really bad. The vistas and space stuff looks nice, even the aliens look fine.. it's the humans.. like they forgot how to make people look like people. It's very distracting.

Combat is good, probably a little better than previous entries, but it's nothing revolutionary.

Talking takes as long as ever.. side quests are still kind of annoying fetch quests or scan this quests.

I'm going to try and finish out my 10 hours to see if I still want my pre-order. I was all gung-ho about this games before actually playing it.. now I might just stick to Wildlands!

Anyone else playing or planning on playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
MMorelock66
Isn't a Gijoe fan

MMorelock66 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Seems like the general public is finally hopping off Biowares balls nowadays. Oh well, Witcher 3 has been making me want to go achievement hunting...
MMorelock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

I need to finish Witcher 3.. and the DLC. I bought the season pass but didn't get around to either of them.

I think I'm still on Skelliege or whatever.. damn game is so huge.

Quote:
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
Unread 03-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

LOL.. I couldn't figure out why this girl was standing still last night.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-17-2017, 04:07 AM   #5
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Traitor. You do not hear me calling for a Titan fall or an ODST drop.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

It's ok, I tried to play a little last night, and got about an hour in and just nope'd the hell out and went back to Ghost Recon.

I canceled my Mass Effect preorder at Best Buy today.. even though I got the limited edition or whatever for $45 on sale. The game runs like ass on Xbox, and the animations are terrible across the board. I have a feeling there is still going to be a good/enjoyable story there, but I think I'll wait for Scorpio improvements/on sale later this year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
MMorelock66
Isn't a Gijoe fan

MMorelock66 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSA View Post
I need to finish Witcher 3.. and the DLC. I bought the season pass but didn't get around to either of them.

I think I'm still on Skelliege or whatever.. damn game is so huge.
I wasn't expecting it to be as vast as it is. It's actually impressive. I never played the 1st, but I caught myself up on the story. The 2nd one was good, but the 3rd is truly a marvel. I rank it in my top 5 easily.
MMorelock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah at first glance when I saw the map I was like "That's it?" but it actually covers quite a large area, and the cities are very full as well.

Regarding Mass Effect.. you got to watch this:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

*snicker*

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

What a mess.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah no idea how EA let that happen, unless they were like "Fuck, too expensive to fix this, just get it out there and we'll forget it happened".

Strange since Mass Effect was one of their PREMIER IPs, and they gave it to Bioware Montreal or whatever, who'd never made a full game before, only DLC.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Relecant
Enlisted

Relecant is on a distinguished road

EA's kinda hands off with Bioware, what with them being a big earner and full of SJWs. Plus, Bioware has always had bad animation and character models in the 3D era. Mass Effect 1 & 2 were sort of exceptions.

I ordered the game based off of the 10-hour trial (PC version, so graphics are actually very nice cranked to da max), as it wasn't really glaringly bad. However, the travel animations between systems and planets since getting out of the first planet are a Gearbox level of "you're gonna sit through this since we spent so much money programming it." Also the crew is dull. But, it's Mass Effect and the gameplay is still good, thankfully. The sitting and watching, though... I'm just impatient I guess.
Relecant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah the planet to planet animation, while nice, got old after the 2nd planet I visited in 1 system.

I'm going to wait for a deep discount and then maybe give it a try.

Bioware is supposed to come out with some sort of 'plan' to fix the game on April 4th..

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
lancelot
Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ

lancelot is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Here are some of my thoughts on the game so far.

I only really like Jaal, Drax, and Vetra. Cora and Liam are boring token humans with little depth (all the characters so far have little depth but the humans are kind of the worse). Peebee is an annoying broken record who is so caught up in "moving forward" that she's a pointless character.

My reasons for liking Jaal, Drax, and Vetra are frivolous. Drax is a token krogan, krogans are awesome, therefore Drax is awesome. Jaal's interactions with other characters while riding in the not-Maiko are kind of interesting. Vetra is a female Han Solo turian and takes the title for anime waifu best girl of the game. Her only fault is having daddy issues, but almost all the characters in this game have daddy issues because the writers are a bunch of hacks and SJWs who seriously believe almost all characters should be bisexual because "reasons".

The combat is ok, but this game has so many bugs and ugly character models that it boggles the mind. Apparently they didn't mocap a damn thing. No idea why.

This game is enjoyable but for all the wrong reasons, like watching a campy B-movie. Conversations are hilariously bad, as dead eyed characters flap their gums as they completely fail to establish eye contact or make any facial expressions that match what they're saying and how they're saying it.

Dialogue options feel redundant and limited in comparison to previous games. There are too many instances where you are given two dialogue options but often they mean the same result for the conversation or are literally saying something that is synonymous with the other option.

All the characters feel like they don't care about anything, especially when it comes to the remnant stuff, and the scurge. Curiosity for these phenomena is passing throughout huge swaths of gameplay, you could play for days and accomplish a lot of missions, and the remnant and scurge will feel like something that the cast simply accept as a reality with no real interest in learning the origin of it all. The characters feel like they don't care and that's probably because the writers don't care as they use it as a device to have more enemy types and neat locations to go to, and an explanation for why Angarans have not been soundly defeated by the Kett.

The Kett are not intimidating. The Galactic Empire from Star Wars is scarier. The Kett come off as a dumb looking group of incompetent bad guys that exist just so you can shoot at them.

Not having quarians is lame. Quarians would have been the easiest for this team to make facial animations for considering all they do is wear helmets, but for some reason that thought never became apparent to the game developers who probably want to save them for dumb DLC.

Last edited by lancelot; 03-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.
lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #15
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Sounds about right.

I hope they get to patch some things up, wonder if this kerfuffle will cause a sequel to be canceled?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: