The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

The Third Rail If you like to be offended regularly and on a consistent basis, stop on by! Politics! Sports! Religion!

Unread 11-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #26
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Awwwwww... The Broncos be sad it's not them this year.

Broncos players wonder why the refs helped the Raiders last night - Arrowhead Pride
pcsguy88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #27
nacho
"Big Guns"

nacho is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

They had some bad calls. I thought that call on the sidelines in the first quarter was correct. I thought he touched the line. However, on the Texans last drive, both spots on 3rd and 4th down were terrible, and how they didn't overturn on review was criminal.

And that's coming from a relatively neutral party. As a fan of the Fighting Rivers's and basking in the afterglow of Peyton's Denver tenure, I'm supposed to hate the raiders, but I don't. They're a fun young team to watch. And as a former Houstonian, I like the Texans ok, but I have no love lost for The Brockweiller. That being said, it's hard to argue that they didn't get jobbed a bit.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #28
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA

Yeah I didn't get to see the whole game, listened to most of it on the radio.

I SWEAR I saw a little white chalk puff go up when he was running along the sideline, but I didn't go back and review it.

Just glad they won, 8-2 feels good man. 9-whatever will feel better, since they haven't gotten past 8-8 in forever.

In my $$$ league I somehow lost 113.58-113.64. Heartbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #29
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

You're like "1 more fucking yard... that's all I needed. COME ON, STAT CORRECTION!!!!"

Yeah, the raiders are fun to watch. If none of the teams I typically cheer for make any noise in the post-season, I'll definitely be rooting for them to make sure Brady's thumb stays cold and naked.
Unread 11-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah.. 1 yard.. ugh. I was up a point and a half after the game, then somehow Yahoo adjusted it overnight and I lost. Terrible!

Bah. Time to rally the wagons.. 3 more weeks!

Quote:
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
Unread 11-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #31
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah.. 1 yard.. ugh. I was up a point and a half after the game, then somehow Yahoo adjusted it overnight and I lost. Terrible!

Bah. Time to rally the wagons.. 3 more weeks!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #32
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

And Andrew gets the shaft again. I'd feel sorry for him if I wasn't desperately trying to get that bye.

NSA, you're the anti-andrew. Your SoS is a piece of wizardry!
Unread 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Man, 1260.30 points against? How did I lose 4 games! Andrew.. 155 points and a loss. Ouch. That has been his season.

TP, Nacho, Mitch and I all clinched playoffs.. sweet!

2 spots left.. somehow Raging Wookies.. who is starting IR players.. is in the playoffs right now. Ouch.

PCSguy is fighting for that spot.. do I tank this week to ensure he gets in? Or do I work for that first round bye.. hmmmmm.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #34
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Well, PCS is two games up on 7th (Bill) with two to go... and Bill has to play Mitch this week, so I assume PCS is going to make the cut even if he doesn't win another game.

I have two weak opponents left, so I'm going to cling to that bye-slot like grim death. But to be honest, NSA, you should try to get that 3rd spot. I'm sure you'd much rather play me in the second round than play against TP.
Unread 11-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #35
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah, that's true. I'm hoping for a week 17 collapse from TP or something! Come on, Holiday Miracle!

AVERAGING 158 points/week is insane.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #36
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Yeah, he needs to have somebody break a leg, pull a hammy, or sprain his vagina. How he's managed to get that many points is pretty incredible. He's completely missed the injury bug. Hopefully I've jinxed him now.

I'm fairly certain that I drafted less than half of my existing roster. I had a real bummer crop and had to scratch and claw to find something above scrub-level.
Unread 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #37
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I drafted pretty poorly across the board this year. I think I got DeAndre Hopkins in all my leagues.. and.. yuck. What a waste.

I went Hopkins/Allen Robinson in a few as well, which is even worse. Seemed great on draft day.. but.. fuck.

LeVeon Bell/David Johnson/Ezekiel Elliot are the real league winners this year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #38
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Very true... which is double interesting considering the prevailing theory that RBs have been declining in importance in recent years. The problem is that RBBC used to be confined to only 8-10 teams in the NFL, and you could build a good fantasy team with solid starters and only had to wade into the committee quagmire for RB3's and bye week replacements.

Now, you have only 3-4 teams with a solid starter than isn't splitting half the reps with a series of rookies/scrubs/retreads. They're all unplayable. RBs really are unimportant in the NFL, but if your crystal ball lets you draft a couple of good ones in fantasy, you're practically untouchable.
Unread 11-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #39
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah I bought into the "Zero RB" strategy big time this year.. the idea that RB's are replaceable assets that typically get hurt and you should go for Wide Receivers first since they're a better overall value (especially in PPR).

I still don't think this is wrong, I mean, look at our draft.

1st round RB's

David Johnson - 4th - GREAT!
Todd Gurley - 5th - BUST! (Your bust, Nacho!)
Ezekiel Elliott - 7th - GREAT!
Lamar Miller - 8th - I wouldn't say he's a bust, but nothing special.

2nd round RB's

Adrian Peterson - 11th - BUST! Injury bust, but still a bust.
LeVeon Bell - 14th - GREAT! (Damn it, TP)
Mark Ingram - 17th - Pretty good, but had 6 out of 12 weeks under 10 points.

3rd round RB's

CJ Anderson - 22nd - BUST! Injury, but also bust before that mostly.
Eddie Lacy - 23rd - BUST! Also injury but not very good before either.
Doug Martin - 24th - BUST! Again, injury cost him a ton of time.
Devonta Freeman - 25th - Pretty good, especially for 3rd round.
LeSean McCoy - 26th - GREAT! Only 2 weeks under 10 points.

So on and so forth, the #3 overall WR/RB/TE player in our league, DeMarco Murray was taken in the 5th round. The #4, Melvin Gordon, in the 7th round! So essentially it's a crap shoot.

Team Under TP also autodrafted for the first half of the draft, which is evil more salt in the wound!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #40
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Yeah, it is a total crap shoot, and I've been focusing more on WRs in recent years too. But if you hit on a couple of those every-down guys, either in the first round, 5th round, or FA market, you're set.

Ugh, Gurley has been such a disappointment. I don't even start him most weeks.

TP's autodraft... I've got a similar extreme example. In my other league, we somehow ended up with an odd number, and to keep things even, I just created an unmanned dummy team. So despite auto-drafting, never picking up a FA, never replacing an injured player, never adjusting for bye weeks... is currently tied for 1st place, and plays the other 1st place team this week (the final week of the regular season). It could actually end up with the #1 seed (*facepalm*). MEANWHILE, my team that I have drafted and managed to the Nth degree is in 7th and has to win this week just to make the post-season. I told my league that if the dummy team wins it all, we're disbanding!

Last edited by nacho; 11-30-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Unread 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #41
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Haha wow.. yeah.. that's insane. So much comes down to dumb luck and stupid scheduling.

It's the one thing I don't like about how most places do fantasy football.. since you're playing "head to head" but there is zero impact that you can do to the other team. In real football, you're offense and defense are working to limit the other team, but in fantasy it's just numbers climbing on a sheet.. and it's just stupid luck if you get put up with someone this week who does better than you (Like Andrew last week).

In my other league, on the side I've been trying to work up a formula that's "more fair" and takes in account if you had a great week, but had a shitty schedule. I call it the "SUPER LEAGUE OF FANTASY FAIRNESS!"

Basically.. I broke it down as such:

If you "win" your head to head match, you get 1 point, the loser gets 0 points.

There's also (up to) a 2nd point to be earned each week based on your performance.

So if you won and were the top scoring player of the week, you get 2.0 points. If you lost, and were the bottom performing team, you get a total of 0.1 points. If you did well, say, 2nd most points, but lost to the 1st most points (but outscored 8 other teams) you'd get 0.9 points for the week, which is almost a win.

So far the results haven't been far off the standard rankings, but a few spots were changed, since "luck" was taken out of the equation more often than not. I'm going to run with it through the season and see if it meaningfully changes anything, but most of the people in the league seem to like it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #42
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I like looking at the numbers in the automated recaps... "If Team X played everyone every week, their record would be 72-36." This is without a doubt the most fair way to do fantasy football. That 100% removes the randomness of schedule b/c everyone plays everyone, and also accounts for teams who are wildly inconsistent vs teams who don't go-off but are steadily good (or bad). Basically, you get 10 victory-points for being first, 9 for second, etc down to 1 for last place in a given week. Then let total ff points break any unlikely ties in the standings.

Sure, you wouldn't get the 100% thrill of victory on a given week when you only get 7 points (i.e. 4th highest score), but it's better than losing a head to head with some jag-off that randomly doubled his average.

You could even do the playoffs the same way, more of an elimination format. 6-teams, drop the two lowest in each of the first two rounds, then head to head for the title. Something akin to the nascar chase post-season. No more 80 pt wins or 150 pt losses.

Believe it or not, I've given this a lot of thought over the years, but I never knew anyone who wanted to try something non-traditional. Maybe next year we can find enough people to try an experiment league.

Last edited by nacho; 11-30-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Unread 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #43
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah, that recap is what got me started in finding a better way to score.

Pure points is technically the "most fair" but since it's a cumulative number, it kind of throws things off since a 200 point week would be way more important than just 1 win (or 10 points or whatever).

The head to head "drama" and "rivalry" is still important to some people, the spectacle of it all I guess, so I tried to incorporate that into the "play everyone every week" type of scoring, so it's best of both worlds.

Down the road I was envisioning something even more interactive.. since everyone says Fantasy Football is D&D for sports nerds.. why not make it more interactive? With D&D you're casting spells and rolling dice and impacting things.. whereas in fantasy football you're just reacting to things completely outside your control.

It would be interesting to have ways of interacting with the game and impacting the score.. like having cards or chips or (something I haven't narrowed this down) that let you get double points for the next 10 plays or 5 minutes or something, or you can limit your opponent's points for "X" amount of plays, or RB points.. or something. Basically, to make it work, everyone would need to be watching redzone channel or online and be interacting in real time.

Opponent has a RB that got tackled at the 1 yard line? Play a card that makes his RB illegible for points for the next 3 plays. Have a feeling the defense is going to make a good stop? Play double Defense points! I dunno.. this is a really rough, crapshoot idea, but it was bouncing around in my head to make it more exciting/interactive/entertaining. It's probably more in line with those stupid table games you play at Applebees on their little tabletop ordering thing.. but could be fun!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #44
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Wow, that's heavy. I think it might be fun on an occasional weekly basis, but I don't know how many people could sit and watch every game every week in order to be fully invested in such an endeavor for a full season. Between kids, chores, and holidays you'd probably get really spotty participation.

When I'm traveling over the holidays, I'm lucky to set a lineup, and I'm certainly not pouring over news, scouring the waiver wire, etc. If I had to try to find a way to watch all the games at my in-laws' house to "interact", I'd end up divorced.
Unread 11-30-2016, 02:30 PM   #45
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah, that's the problem. Especially with Thursday, Sunday, Monday games.. and timezones! London.. Mexico.. yeesh.

Wouldn't be a replacement for standard fantasy.. but something maybe you could do with friends or something. I dunno.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #46
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Wow, that's heavy.
What, is the gravitational pull stronger where you're from?!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #47
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Physics says that's highly unlikely.

But you know, being born in the 70's, those turns-of-phrase jump out occasionally
Unread 12-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #48
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Well playoffs are almost set...

Pretty sure PCS is going to make it either way, Bill or Wookie will be the 6th spot. Hopefully Bill since he's actually been playing. Poor Andrew.

I need you (Nacho) to lose, and I outscore you (and win) to get a 1st round bye.. or do I want a spot where I don't have to play TP again in round 2.. hmmm.

Should be a fun ending!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #49
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

We all made playoffs! I'm the 4th seed.. damn it.

50 points from LeVeon Bell? Youch.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #50
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

If my team doesn't improve dramatically, I'm going to be one-and-done. I'm thankful for the bye, as I'm not sure I could beat anyone based on this past week.

We're a reseed league, so all I know for sure is that I'm making the second round, and I'm not playing TP or Bill next week.

NSA, you're probably in a good spot. Bill has gotten hot in recent weeks, and you don't have to play him. But I could see him beating Mitch, leaving the winner of your game facing me. If that happens, at least one of the 118th regulars will make the finals.

Truth be told, I don't see anyone beating TP unless he has major injuries or several of his big guns rest in week 17.

In my other league, I won my first round game, and I now have to play the #1 seed, the dummy team that I set up. No free agents, no roster moves, no bye week or injury replacements... and "he" is probably going to beat me and could very well win the league. Ugh.

Last edited by nacho; 12-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.