The Fighting 1:18th

Go Back   The Fighting 1:18th > >

The Third Rail If you like to be offended regularly and on a consistent basis, stop on by! Politics! Sports! Religion!

Unread 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
NSA
Dear Leader

NSA is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Send a message via AIM to NSA
Exclamation Fighting 1:18th Fantasy Football League - 2017-2018 - NOW OPEN!

Woohoo!

I renewed the league.. last year my friend Mitch won the trophy. He got the names engraved and everything. I need to find the picture to post.. but he also got a new topper.. it's a lazy guy in a chair. Pretty cool.

I booted the three "non playing fuckers" from last year (Jeff, Wookies, Duff). I invited one of my real life friends to play as well, so we currently have 8/10 players.

If anyone wants to invite someone to the league let me know. No cost, they just have to play.

I haven't even begun doing research for this year, probably wait till August. If anyone has a suggested draft date.. let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecorporation View Post
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I take it all back! Fords are the bestest cars EVER!
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
NSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
nacho
"Big Guns"

nacho is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

The weekend before the first thursday game is usually the best draft window. Any earlier, and you risk guys going down in the pre-season or injured guys not being forthcoming about their availability.

I want to see a pic of the trophy so I can have sufficient time to determine where I'm going to put it

nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

I feel like you or PCS have to win this year.. bad luck can't repeat THAT much.. can it?

Quote:
I'm sure ninjas are great people, but I think they should be more like traditional ninjas: neither seen nor heard.
Quote:
Quote:
All figures should be doled out per union bylaws to each individual, based purely on seniority, at cost, free shipping, delivered to your door in a ford.
Unread 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

If it's really bad luck, then no. If it's some underlying incompetence on my part, then it's almost certainly perpetual.

Unread 07-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Reminder.. we still need 2 people to get to 10 this year. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to mention them!

Don't really care where they're from, just as long as they participate. Remember no sign up fee and we have an actual trophy!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
pcsguy88
медведь

pcsguy88 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

Incompetence on my part last year. I might have a candidate who will actually play.
pcsguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

This is the year!! (for someone)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Draft is next week (Sunday)!

We still need 1 more person for an even number! Let me know if you know anyone, or I'll just see if I can get a random person, but would rather someone we sorta know since there is an actual trophy involved!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Holy crap, why are we drafting so early?! Were there no available dates during spring OTAs?

Unread 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Ha! I was going to pen us in during the Pro Bowl but I forgot.. :-P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Can't make the draft tomorrow . I'm driving two states away to get the wife a "new" car. Gotta figure out how to set my draft board. With my luck, I'll end up with seven kickers and Edelman's one leg.

Unread 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

You didn't get Ware, so you have that going for ya. The computer gave him to some other poor sap in the 7th.
Unread 08-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Haha yeah PCS got the #1 draft. I think I was #2.

Though we all know draft results rarely mean in-season victory..

It's almost time!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

OH MY LORD, MY TEAM IS A DUMPSTER FIRE!

I'm going to be the cleveland of the league. My best player is fucking Lamar Miller... It's like I didn't draft and my team is made of free agents that were left when the draft was over. Looks like I'll have to be the king of the waiver wire if I want to get out of the cellar. Ugh, brutal.

On the plus side, I got a good deal on a CPO Grand Cherokee for the wife. Had to drive to the north side of Cincinnati (Home of the Bungles!) to get it. Man, the rust belt is depressing.

Last edited by nacho; 08-28-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Unread 08-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

I noticed the 3 teams who manually drafted from beginning to end have a 10-20pt advantage in week one. Now watch, Nacho will torch me with his dumpster fire.
Unread 08-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah.. dumpster fires usually end up burning you.. I think your team is OK.

Autodraft gave everyone zero point defensive players for some reason, so adding in real players should give teams +9-12 points per week I bet.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-29-2017, 04:43 AM   #17
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I really have no idea how good my team is beyond my QB and my defensive players. It seems picking first is not so great because I got one star while everyone else got to pick 2 before my turn came up again. Since I "wasted" my pick on a QB (I should have kept in mind everyone was autodrafting and all the QBs were ranked lower than my next picks) all the known WRs and RBs were gone. My team is at least solid which is something I have not had in several years of autodrafting and I am more interested since all responsibility rests on my shoulders. I can't believe you picked two players from the Chiefs in an offense that appears to be completely inept when facing a good defense. Their schedule is brutal this year. Can't wait to go to war and see how things shake out.
Unread 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #18
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Yeah I'm not sure how that happened either. At least I know they'll do good for 2 games this year against the Raiders!

I was kind of amazed when you took Rodgers 1st overall. Rookie move! Though I'm not sure if he would have been there at pick 20, but maybe? I've been waiting at QB for all my drafts. Carr went in the 11th, Dak Prescott went to Nacho in the 15th! While obviously Rodgers is the absolute best, I wonder if the drop off between 1st and 11th round QB's is less than 1st and 11th round RB/WR/etc.

That being said, having a fantastic QB to anchor the team is a very nice feeling. I'm not sure Brees or really anyone else is a sure bet anymore like Rodgers is.

I am more or less happy with my team, but it depends if Gronk is good this year or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #19
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

I was looking at the drop off before my pick because I couldn't figure out why Rodgers and Brady were ranked so low overall. Their projected points were over 100pts higher than Antonio Brown or the other top guys. The drop off from Rodgers and Brady was about 50pts, but receivers and RBs were only 20-30pts to the next tier. I'd much rather have a solid QB who scored 380pts last year and is fairly consistent then have a receiver who scored 260 and can be wildly inconsistent. I just don't understand why the rankings work the way they do.

It was so hard for me not to take Brady, but I knew his 40yr old self would hit a wall if I did and the Amendola injury played a big part.
Unread 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #20
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

Oh man... I just saw what your pick D. Johnson scored last year at 372pts. I clicked on Bell (280pts) when I was doing my comparison between QBs and the rest. Sheesh. You done good.
Unread 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #21
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

So looking at my team in week 1, I have the 9th, 11th & 15th projected receivers. #1 is 17.34pts and 15th is 13pts.

For RB, I have 14th and 15th with #1 being 19pts and 15th being 11.13pts. That's a huge drop off. It actually drops 4pts after the #1 & #2 RBs.

#1 QB is 23.58pts while Carr is 9th with 18.95pts.

Looks like grabbing the top 1 or 2 RBs in the draft is the smart move, but after that it all kinda gets mushy. I still look at it as the QB is less likely to get knocked out than an RB or WR who gets hit every single time they touch the ball or is one twist from the dreaded ACL.
Unread 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #22
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

So for example.. Rodgers scored 388 last season, Matt Ryan scored 365, Brees scored 345. Both of them went in the 4th round. Brady actually scored less points than Derek Carr last year, likely due to the suspension. If you take the average and assume the missing weeks fall in line, he would have ended up somewhere between Rodgers and Matt Ryan. Of course.. using last years stats as a predictor for future gains is... unreliable.

18/25 of the top 25 performers last year were QB's. Blake Bortles outperformed Antonio Brown! But from QB 4 to QB 20 there was only like a 50 point drop. So odds are if you grab any of those guys, you're going to be covered. From RB4 to RB 20 it's like 100 point difference. WR is about 75 points. TE is about 80 points or so.

LeVeon scored 280 because I think he was suspended or hurt for a few weeks last year, but he should end up right around David Johnson if all goes well, maybe even more as I think the Steelers are a better offensive team. However he has gotten hurt or something every season so there is a little bit of worry there.

I think for every position the top 3 are desirable and tend to be a head over the rest, but it is hard to know who will be in those top 3 every year as injury and other factors come into play. Without fail there will be some random person at the top of the lists come next year.

I think your team is fine.. it's all a crapshoot really. I don't think there is a foolproof drafting strategy that doesn't involve time travel.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #23
pcsguy88
медведь

Awards Showcase

I'm definitely feeling good since all of my starting WRs and RBs are in the top half at the start the season. Above that line where any of them could have a career season and of course any player can crumble. I'm not use to having a balanced team to pick up slack if the the one or two playmakers has an off day. I just can't afford for Rodgers to tank.
Unread 08-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #24
nacho
"Big Guns"

Awards Showcase

Well, I don't have to worry about finishing second yet again. Second-to-last maybe!

Unless I stumble on a few breakouts during the season, I'm sunk. I'm not beating anyone with Lamar Miller and Kirk Cousins (no, I don't like that). And my best wideout is a 42 year old WHITE guy held together with bailing twine, ffs.

Looking at my roster, I swear I must not have had selections in the first three rounds.

Unread 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #25
NSA
Dear Leader

Awards Showcase

Waiver waiver waiver!

I swear by week 6 my teams usually don't even resemble the draft anymore.

Also a lot hinges on your strength of schedule.. just need to get lucky and have everyone you play have their worst week ever!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: