40th Anniversary Black Series

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
They announced these at toyfair last week. HTS put up W1 the same time the NYTF display went up, so I actually already got 40th Leia last week. It's the only one I cared about because she got a new head over the regular black series release (which is still sitting in my PoL). Regular Leia's noggin is... not right. She rode to school on the short-speeder. 40th is a big improvement.

The packaging is nice and nostalgic, but since I have a full collection of vintage-style-packaging 4" figures, this particular attempt to make me rebuy all the 6" figures fell flat. If not for the new Leia noggin, I'd have skipped all of these. However, for someone who doesn't have the regular 6" figures or retro-carded 4", these will definitely scratch that childhood itch.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I just pre-ordered Leia and will continue to debate with myself if X-wing Luke is good enough since I have him already and do I really give a shit about Ben and the droids enough to drop $20 on each?

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I pre-ordered Leia and R2 since I am missing both. If they actually hit pegs around here I will get more storm troopers. For sure want a couple three each of the jawas, tusken raiders and death star commanders....no real joe stuff to buy so guess my SW collection will grow. :D

NOTE - I open all my toys so I could care less about packaging. :p

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
We're supposed to be getting Lando, R5-D4, and Royal Guard later this year as well.

These definitely look great on the shelf when you get a nice crew together. But that being said, I've got most of the main OT characters. I love the line, but at $20-a-pop, I'm not likely to go down this road with cantina patrons and d-list background characters. The trick will be finding that natural jumping-off place where I can say, "No thanks, I'm good."

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
We're supposed to be getting Lando, R5-D4, and Royal Guard later this year as well.

These definitely look great on the shelf when you get a nice crew together. But that being said, I've got most of the main OT characters. I love the line, but at $20-a-pop, I'm not likely to go down this road with cantina patrons and d-list background characters. The trick will be finding that natural jumping-off place where I can say, "No thanks, I'm good."

Yep - I am being selective and buying loose / cheap when I can too. :D

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, he came with the big Taun-taun. Hoth Luke came with the Wampa.

Attachments

• star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-the-black-series-6-inch-deluxe-han-solo-tauntaun-6-action-figure-se.jpg
    star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-the-black-series-6-inch-deluxe-han-solo-tauntaun-6-action-figure-se.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 51

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
My museum is too full for Han AND Cutgut. :headinsand:

I got Hoth Han loose from a guy who bought an extra for the Taun Taun. That was my favorite fig as a kid because of the holster loop...I could wedge his blaster "magazine" in the loop and it was like he could carry his weapon and not always have to be in his hand.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The trick will be finding that natural jumping-off place where I can say, "No thanks, I'm good."

That is the passengers and crew of the Millenium Falcon in A New Hope for me. I made that decision from day 1 when I picked up xwing Luke and a Sand Trooper just to see what this new fangled scale was all about.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I have every OT character they've released in 6" so far, and I'm still psyched for the upcoming figures that have been announced. However, I know there is a day coming where I just won't feel the need. They've done every Luke deco except maybe sleeveless Dagobah. So are they going to reissue old figs? Are they going to redo old figs that were only so-so to get us to rebuy (hello ANH Leia)? There is a saturation point on the horizon where they just can't interest me in moving forward. These aren't 4" figures for $6 like ten years ago.

I mean, do we need a 6" cloud city Ice Cream Man? Third alien from the left in the cantina? Ewok Chirpa-Derpa? I'm not finished with this line yet, but I know that day is coming.

Eddie, just when you think your shelves are too full, just watch a few videos from ToyGalaxy. Not only are the reviews excellent and funny, but his shelves make mine look sparse, and that makes me feel better about my own addiction :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjoe3Qo_DymYyBR6X9VxFjQ

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I have a few Marvel 6" and the SW 6" Speeder Bike/Trooper. I might pick up a couple if they look awesome in person and/or I can catch them on sale.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I love this idea.. but the more I think about it the more I realize I absolutely don't need any of these.

I have no where to put them, no where to display them. Keeping things in storage isn't pleasing anymore.. Bleh.

Need a bigger house with a dedicated mancave I think.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Need a bigger house with a dedicated mancave I think.

I have that, and it's still not enough. In a decade when the kids are gone, I'll take over the adjacent tv/play room and make it into a display room / theater.

I'm with Eddie; I need a small museum. I might need to convert a storage unit into a display space... but at that point, I'm the only patron, turning all the awesomeness into mild sadness.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah there is some aspect of diminishing returns with these hobbies..

Doing the photo thing like Digler does at least gets you some clicks and admiration online.. but otherwise most of us just appreciate our stuff alone, which is kind of sad.

"Having it" elicits some kind of happiness I guess, but that is starting to feel like some weird hoarder mentality.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That's why I switched to real crack. Doesn't take up any room, you never lose any parts and you wouldn't believe the nostalgia feelings for the first 15 minutes.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Yeah there is some aspect of diminishing returns with these hobbies..

Doing the photo thing like Digler does at least gets you some clicks and admiration online.. but otherwise most of us just appreciate our stuff alone, which is kind of sad.

"Having it" elicits some kind of happiness I guess, but that is starting to feel like some weird hoarder mentality.

I haven't bought anything in weeks! Feels good!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
...you never lose any parts...

Except your teeth.

And I'm beginning to wonder the point of having my ALIENS figures. I've fought back and forth about buying the HIYA APC, and I've been thinking about building a large diorama for it all...but to what end?

My photo skills aren't real great, neither is my camera. Is if all I do is just display it at home and mess with it occasionally, would that be enough?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I got Hoth Han loose from a guy who bought an extra for the Taun Taun...

Maybe I'll just check ebay for a loosey. I dig Cut gut, but I just can't...can I? Ugh.

Eddie, just when you think your shelves are too full, just watch a few videos from ToyGalaxy. Not only are the reviews excellent and funny, but his shelves make mine look sparse, and that makes me feel better about my own addiction :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjoe3Qo_DymYyBR6X9VxFjQ

You, dick. I don't need a drug dealer!!

I'm with Eddie; I need a small museum. I might need to convert a storage unit into a display space... but at that point, I'm the only patron, turning all the awesomeness into mild sadness.

Only worsens when you do get another patron and you can see the pity on their face, and the sympathy they have for your spouse. :(

I haven't bought anything in weeks! Feels good!

Look at this fool thinking he's out.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ultimately it's up to the individual person how much joy you get out of "things".

I feel like if you have a close group, either in person or online, where you're sharing your loot.. (like we used to here) it would probably bring you more joy. That probably goes for anything though.. being a solitary football fan isn't a lot of fun without other people who enjoy the sport.

The hassle of eBay and that weird deep worrying feeling of not being able to buy back your shit is all that keeps me from cleaning house most days.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
You, dick. I don't need a drug dealer!!

I'm not gonna lie, I've bought stuff just because Dan from ToyGalaxy talked it up. I love his videos. I usually just pull it up once a month and binge-watch his latest reviews. Dude is hilarious... and he really does make me feel much better about my own collection. I click away and think, "There are others like me, and I'm not the biggest nerd, hooray!"

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I feel like if you have a close group, either in person or online, where you're sharing your loot.. (like we used to here) it would probably bring you more joy.

What do you mean by sharing loot? Like, with photos and talking about it? I don't think we've stopped doing that. It's slowed down, but it hasn't stopped.

Right?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
There is not the same incentive to share because feedback is either nill or the same 5 guys saying "looks great". Sometimes the motivation to become better at customizing comes from "I can't wait to show the guys", so with that diminished, so has motivation.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I haven't lost motivation... but I find myself being pulled in 47 different directions. Two kids, running my own business, I just don't have the time to play with my toys as much as I used to (or would like to).

But I still love my toys as much as ever, and my desire to do something with my collection besides watch it gather dust is probably at it's highest. That's why I made the site linked in my signature, so I could put everything in one place and be motivated to do more.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm not gonna lie, I've bought stuff just because Dan from ToyGalaxy talked it up. I love his videos. I usually just pull it up once a month and binge-watch his latest reviews. Dude is hilarious... and he really does make me feel much better about my own collection. I click away and think, "There are others like me, and I'm not the biggest nerd, hooray!"

Welp, he sold me some crack. Sigh.

After scrolling through his vids, I found a Superman figure that I didn't know existed, and now I NEEEEED it! :headinsand:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
pulls out for a full shot.

Giggity!

And yeah.. I imagine with customs/etc there is some dick wagging going on, we all want praise, why else would we be sharing it?

I mean, it's fun doing them, and I like setting up dios, but ultimately there isn't a whole lot to do when it's just me. Kids aren't into it, wife isn't in to it..

I still have a vision of doing a whole compound/base dio outside in the backyard. I still have the stupid PTE towers I got a decade ago waiting.. but as I get older and time marches on.. I'm thinking it's less and less likely to happen.

Other hobbies also get in the way... not to mention the $$$ barrier to entry for our hobby now.. even for stuff that's still at mass market like Star Wars.