Anybody still collecting SW on here?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Don't get me wrong,for the most part the 5POA figures have somewhat made up for their crappy articulation with awesome sculpts. A lot of them are very nicely built! Just not this one,lol.

I'm in love with a lot of them,and want more!! I'm starting to regret passing on a lot of them like the TRU epic battles 6 pack,and TFA leia&Han 2 pack!! I really want them bad now! Lol

Anyone have these I'm totally interested! as long as it's reasonable of course!

Also interested in him..

Loose is ok too. Pretty much all the actor likeness 5poa figures I'm after are in these sets.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
5 PoA downgrades + the decision to abandon the vintage packaging has really eliminated all SW 4" collecting for me. I buy a few 4" black series for my kids (who also recognize that 5 PoA sucks), but that's it.

Barring a major change in the SW toy status quo, my collection is done, save an occasional original-trilogy 6" black series fig.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
After buying several I can say they display nicely! Not everything has to be hyper articulated. Besides,SW has always had shitty hips that got in the way of any good poses anyways.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
After buying several I can say they display nicely! Not everything has to be hyper articulated. Besides,SW has always had shitty hips that got in the way of any good poses anyways.

I didn't adult-collect SW figures until they started getting modern articulation. I have a few t-crotches in the vintage cardbacks, but those are staying MOC for my wall display, so it's somewhat irrelevant and those get a pass.

For openers, unless it's a droid or some guy with a long plastic robe who wouldn't be able to use his legs anyway, 5 PoA is 1977 bullshit. Not gonna happen.

Attachments

• sw_wall.jpg
    sw_wall.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I can spend money on that too!:trollface:

either way you look at it SW doesn't scale with the good stuff. I just like the Actors likeness figures. It's new to me too,trust me. The ones I posted are the last ones that I like...they're cheap,easy to find,and the sculpts are neat...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Retail on those '78 SW figures today would be almost $9. I guess the extra $1.15 goes to improved sculpting and paint.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
They're not,they're $7.50 :trollface:...gijoes are kitbashed repaints of the same figures for the last 5-7years. For the most part these are head to toe their own sculpts. they do rerelease them pretty regularly tho...there is far more variety tho. I have 4 different 5poa Rey figures,and all but one are completely different sculpts. The other has a new head&shoulder wrap. not saying they're worth $7.50,because they're not! people buy them all the time for fodder! I buy all the new tooling joes as they drop for that same reason,same thing with SW if I have a use for them right now or not. I can always take them apart,cast what I want from them,and put them back together...plus I like how they look as is. I enjoyed the movies too. Yeah,they'd be better articulated,but they still make those. Nothing in the variety they do these 5poa right now tho. I don't like aliens,armored stuff,or troopers...so,my little collection is pretty much almost wrapped up

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money... if you like them, more power to you. I'm sure lots of people would roll their eyes at how I spend my disposable income.

That being said, hasbro is turning out junk figures at high volume, IMO. I don't even think kids like them (I know mine don't). 5 PoA is lazy. It's cheap. It screams, "We don't really care, but we know you'll buy whatever crap we shove out with the new movie packaging on it." I can't help but think of all the people that lapped up Power of the Force figures 20 years ago. These seem similarly worthless to me.

It's just mind-boggling that forty years after the birth of the modern 4" figure, this is still what clogs the pegs.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I assure you two months ago I'd said the exact same thing,and still agree 100%! It's not kids that are buying these! It's grown ass people our age that keep them MOC! I'm in a SW group on FB that sprung from a Walking Dead figure group! Most of these people have never bought a figure before in their lives,and now they're buying one of each.

My son does like the new SW figures BTW. He likes their gimmicks too,like spring loaded shit,and grapple lines. He's 6 tho! Lol. 5 POA are easy for him to stand,and hit with the nerf features on the new vehicles.

I buy the BS 3.75 human figures,and the 5POA when they don't exist in BS. To me the older SW figures look like shit! I saw those power of the force figures! Lolz!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Oh certainly. The originals (77-83) are terrible, but they're nostalgic and certainly worth something if they aren't beat to hell, and they're worth a mint still MOC.

But then, POTF and POTF2 figures.... people bought those like crazy, kind of like comics in the 90's, where they thought they were going to pay for their kids' college. And now you can buy your weight in POTF figures for about $10. They are the worst proportioned, worst sculpted, worst articulated, worst pre-posed pieces of junk. I expect better in a happy meal. And I think that's how we'll view these modern 5-PoA figures in 25 years. We'll ask ourselves, "Who the hell bought those?!"

I can't imagine grown ups choosing new 5 PoA figures as a starting point for collecting, but clearly I'm old and out of the loop. I guess we all have to start somewhere. Mostly, it makes me glad I bought a lifetime supply of Joe and SW figs before the dark times...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I read somewhere the 5poa is partly due to a new movie every year with all new characters, so they do not have time to get fully articulate molds out in the same quantity. Kinda makes sense.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I can cast articulation into them if I wanted. being SW even if they where articulated from the waste down they're still garbage. that new upper thigh swivel is a step in the right direction,but those knees are shit. the new Erso 3.75" is one ugly ass bitch! the wave 2 5poa actually looks half way decent. You really can't compare them to the fully articulated figures,at least I don't. Like I said,I considered them almost in scale statues.

I read somewhere the 5poa is partly due to a new movie every year with all new characters, so they do not have time to get fully articulate molds out in the same quantity. Kinda makes sense.

Idk,I'd call bullshit on that. The way Hasbro has been pumping out 6" figures I just can't believe that. I think it's more that people are buying them,because Star Wars. You gotta think that most of those MOC collectors don't care. That,and the originals where 5poa. I think it's to keep overhead low,so they can saturate the market with product that has tons of GP in it. That way when the picked through remnants end up on clearance and/or discount chains their money is still made.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Every 6" figure I own is an exact copy of the 3.75" figure that I also own. Judging by Walmart's pegs yesterday, the new 6" figs also have a 3.75" Black Series counterpart and they release both of those in low numbers. 6 to a wave?

With all of the new characters from the 2 new films and 3 to follow, I imagine plopping 30+ fully articulated figures up to Lucas Films molding standards while being unable to reuse any of the parts in a year is a tough ask. With so much new content every year, they can't even get their money back from the new molds since they are one and done before the next movie. If Disney slows down the releases after this first 5yrs, I bet you whomever has the toy license will go back and do proper figures.

This goes the same with Lego since it takes time to develop a kit and produce it. They get 2 waves per film and then on to the next without time to fill in the gaps.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This goes the same with Lego since it takes time to develop a kit and produce it. They get 2 waves per film and then on to the next without time to fill in the gaps.

If I hear correctly, that type of thing may have played a part in the LEGO Kylo Ren command shuttle's lack of variable wing geometry.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
If I hear correctly, that type of thing may have played a part in the LEGO Kylo Ren command shuttle's lack of variable wing geometry.

Even Hasbro got them wrong. The change was made too late in the game for anyone to respond. I also noticed Hasbro had some dark grey like Lego and then some black (but still with fixed wings).

My Lego Kylo shuttle`s wings fold out. ;)

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I wish they'd make Kylo's shuttle in the 3.75" line!! I want that thing!! I'd even take it with a nerf shooter,and a 5POA Kylo!:trollface:

So can't wait to get those sets I'm looking for,and take a big ol group pic of my 5POA posse to post up!!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Found the $90 AT-ACT at Target. Soooooo tempted to buy them!....ALL!

I did buy a U-wing for $20 tho.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Went back,and got a few AT-ACT's!

I sold the figures on eBay making each AT-ACT cost around $30!:trollface: I know they should be bigger,but it's not like SW toys are correct scale anyways,and these things are still pretty big! They do not work well on carpet tho! I haven't tried them in sand yet,but will.

Once I finally find a BS 3.75" scaraf trooper I can recast a couple in white&black to replace my drivers I sold off. The Jyn Erso that came with them had huge Anime eyes too! so my single carded version will do for now till I figure out how to fix the ugly ass BS version

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I usually don't care about packaging... unless it's something I actively plan to display in the package, and then it matters a lot. Years ago, I actively collected doubles of all the OT vintage collection figures (1 for the kids, 1 for me) so I could have a big wall of carded SW figures on vintage cardbacks... because nostalgia. It's pretty badass.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I can appreciate that. I have the entire saga 32x cartridge collection in a custom frame in my bedroom,but they're loose..the yellow&black cartridges with the art on the labels looks really nice imo. I got 75% of them from one guy I worked with almost 2 decades ago for around $200. I know Spider-Man alone is worth that nowadays. I'd never play them tho,games are awful:trollface: I also have a few complete sets of figures I want to hang eventually

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A re-release of the 3.75" BS Rey that's pegwarming at $6:trollface:

Packaging means nothing to me. It all looks the same in my burn pile out back.

Still can't help myself on armybuilders and reduced prices it seems,..$6 was too hard to resist.

:trollface:

I suddenly find myself wanting to Germanize that squad leader.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Someone at one of the area Wally Worlds screwed the pooch and put out the 3.75" Last Jedi figures. Man, if Rose and Paige would have come out 4 years ago they would have been great figures. Fucking 5 PoA ruins everything.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, I don't think I have any sort of faith is Hasbro these days. Maybe I can unfuck the regular ones.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Every Farce Friday event......

12am They don't have stuff..... Cause retailers don't want to be open at 12 midnight.

9am What do you mean they haven't stocked new stuff, you've been open 2 minutes now.

9:01am Some fat guy took all the stuff, made the kid cry & kicked a puppy... Also who the hell brought a puppy?

9:02am Kid has questioned his faith in this man who claims to be Father, "Can we just go to the paw patrol section", (afraid to tell him she doesn't like Star Wars Toys)

Assholes get into fights. You question why you brought a kid to this?

11:00a (the night before) Employee's ebay buyer's pay in full. Makes getting yelled about no Star Wars Toys "worth it"

Early than allowed purchases screws up store's ordering system, disallowing new stock from being ordered.

You question your life because the people showing up are weirder looking than the computer show guys.

Wives everywhere use the extra time to drink, & sleep with someone else.

Video Viper gets a good night sleep "I ain't buying this shit tlll I see the movie"

Days later can't ebay them dam JarJar/Lukes/Vaders so back to store, cause you need the money for the STD treatment. (seriously don't use trafficked hookers)

Everything is available the next week online. (For less)

Years later this sh!ts in a storage bin & its never been opened, Grows basement mold on only the things worth more than $5.

Several more years later Kid drops you off at the nursing home where everyone only responds to the names, Luke Leia or Obi Wan.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I would commiserate.... except there isn't a damn thing from the new movie that looks good. Even the 6" BS stuff is really lack-luster.

I was excited about the 6" Landspeeder, but the latest pics don't really do it any favors, and it comes with a farmboy luke that looks worse than the first version, if that's even possible.

I'm looking forward to the film, but toy-wise, this event is a complete zero.

PROVOST

Colonel in Chief
Officer Club
Jun 28, 2011
Terra Australis
Thankfully Wal-Mart will not be the sole exclusive retailer for the Black Series 3.75" SA figures.

These are the 1st of the new wave,thankfully not seeing repacks of repacks for a change -

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hmm, might spring for that Rose, though she may have those shitty hip joints Hasbro loves to use.. When are these supposed to hit the pegs?