Close to 1:18 Thunderchief and Crusader

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
I found a website has a radio control F-105 Thunderchief and an F-8 Crusader. Calculating the wingspans, they are just a little shy of 1:18. Close enough, I think. Carve out a little styrofoam from inside the cockpit, and make a figure fit in. The jet nozzles look a little wonky, though. No landing gear, but I bet someone here could figure out how to make some. Or, I think they'd really work hanging from the ceiling. Just under a hundred bux each. And hey, what the hell happened to the Cold War section, where I should have put this post? What's with the forum's new look ? Why is it so drafty in here? I need my Members Only jacket. Anyway, here are the links:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-105-thunderchief-64mm-edf-jet-pnp
https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-f-8-crusader-64mm-edf-jet-pnp

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Someone here had the A-10, but the styrofoam texture makes it worthless for anything but hanging. Probably goes for all of them when you are trying to do dio photos and such.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
There are some foam models that have perfectly smooth texture. I have an F-117 in Thee scale and it's as smooth as any of our plastic birds. Not as detailed, but pretty nonetheless.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Well I ordered the Thunderchief, so we'll see about the texture. From the pics it looks like you can see it just a little in the shine from the silver paint. It will hang in my hobby room, so maybe it won't be that noticeable. I have the Phase 3 1:18 U-2 hanging in my office, and you can't see the texture unless you're pretty close. Then again, could be because the black doesn't reflect the light as much.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, RC bodies basically shrink wrap the styrofoam to give it that smooth shell which will be perfectly fine in the air. Looking forward to pics when you receive it.