Cobra Pilot...

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
...or what other uses do the ST vests have:

Not sure if I'm quite done yet, but I figured I'd put this up here and get some suggestions if there are any.
(Someone else did this on HT but I already had this half done so I figured I'd finish it.)

Unseen head: Kickstart from the Steel Marauder
Helm: Green Lantern Hal Jordan test pilot
Body-all: Aqua Viper officer
Vest: Shock Trooper

Comments, Suggestions, Critiques welcomed!

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i like it!...a lot!...must have that helmet...i think thats really the new helmet for the real F-35...too cool

maybe not the bright red on the thighs

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
i like it!...a lot!...must have that helmet...i think thats really the new helmet for the real F-35...too cool

maybe not the bright red on the thighs

Yeah, they came that way on the aqua viper officer. I wasn't sure if I liked the red there, but I think I might keep it because it breaks up the black some.

The helm is nice, it's too bad the rest of the GL figure is worthless.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I like it also and although I can't stand the bright red and blue Cobra uniforms, Cobra figures need some red accents so I'd keep it.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Great use of the helmet. I'll have to stock on up them when they eventually make their way to clearance.

I like the red. I would have done maybe just a little darker (although I think the light reflection probably makes it look brighter than it really is). You're right, it adds a much needed break to the black uniform.

Great custom!

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
he needs a plane to fly. OR for SOME people on the forum a Helicopter.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
He's not suited for a helicopter, treadhead.

He'd look ace in a Bbi F-16, though.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
He's not suited for a helicopter, treadhead.

He'd look ace in a Bbi F-16, though.

Haha, no. Definitely not for a helo. If anyone wants to lend me a BBI F-16, I'll be glad to post pics. ;) Otherwise, I'll wait to stick him in a PTE J-10 if they make it here.

I do have to say, though.. the ST's vest(and the ST in general) is certainly shaping up to be the best base for some very diverse applications.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Do one of those Soviet-based USAF blue-blue aggressor patterns, replacing the stars with Cobra sigils.

Hmmmm

Hey, wasn't Bbi supposed to be doing another run of 16s?

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Do one of those Soviet-based USAF blue-blue aggressor patterns, replacing the stars with Cobra sigils.

Hmmmm

Hey, wasn't Bbi supposed to be doing another run of 16s?

I'm liking the thought of that color scheme.

Yeah.. I think they're on preorder due out sometime between now and never.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I -think- I'm gonna touch up a few areas with paint and just leave it at that. Thanks for the input, guys! I'll update with more pics once I'm actually done with it.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Looks nice! The one thing I'd change is the red to a light blue, as that looks out of place with the tinted blue visor on the helmet.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I'm hoping to find some clear red paint for the visor. I prefer the red to the blue.

do not do that! It wont look good because of the blue already on the visor, it wouldn't really be see through and it would never be red. Also, never brush on clear colors over clear parts or large areas. Save that for details as you will see brush marks and will get a very uneven coat(trust me!). Either spray it with a clear color if it hard plastic, or if you have an airbrush use that(although I realize not many people have acces to one, it really is the way to go)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i like the blue visor, and even the red pads, i just think the red is too bright (might be the flash)...maybe give it a black wash to tone it down?

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
i like the blue visor, and even the red pads, i just think the red is too bright (might be the flash)...maybe give it a black wash to tone it down?

A black wash doesn't usually look good over lighter colors. If anything I'd use a brown filter to change the tone of the red, or do it the easy way, just paint a different color red :)

Here is an excerpt from this:http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_tech_afv_weathering.htm

A filters is an application of a very thin layer of extra colour and can be used to enrich uniform and "flat" surfaces or to modify base colours by adding overtones. Not to be confused with a traditional wash, the technique of applying filters has been pioneered by Miguel "Mig" Jimenez and is explained in his article on the Missing Links web site (look in the Rarities World section), so I will only explain it in short here.

A "filter" is added by an swift application of a single, heavily diluted colour over the entire model. In the case of my model, I opted for a filter in earth tones to bring the underlying camouflage colors together. A good filter will increase harmony between the various colours of the camouflage and reduce contrast between them.

A filter is always done with a heavily diluted paint (like a maximum of 5% paint to 95% of thinner). A filter can be applied by brush or airbrush. The application should be uniform over the entire model and "wet" to avoid any brush marks.
I used a large round brush to apply a single filter to the entire model. This filter consisted of a heavily thinned mix of Burnt Sienna and Titanium White oil colour.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
lol, or what WW said

I guess plastic modelling has made me crazy with different techniques, so I'm just sharing what I'd do. Although I'd just paint the red a different color. The reasoning behind not doing a wash though is that it would leave the red uneven and it would just look wierd as it would be way dark in some spots:)