Figures you didn't expect to like, but did?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
What ME figure did you see at one point and just think "meh" until you actually had it in hand?

The Retaliation Cyber Ninja is one for me. Originally passed on this guy the first time I saw him, had no intention of buying him either. I bit the bullet today and bought him. This guy is actually kinda awesome. The Tron color scheme actually grabs my attention, as does his basic aesthetic. Will I buy more than a few? Doubtful. But an all around cool figure.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I generally don't need to see a figure in hand to know I like it, but there have been a few surprises I guess. The figure that I hate the most though is Matt Trakker out of sheer principle, but really because he has one of the best early head sculpts in the entire 25th line. I begrudgingly bought him for the head sculpt alone, but hate how he wasted a spot for a true vintage character when guys like Cutter, Monkeywrench and Leatherneck got shitty reuses of characters' heads that were obviously not right.

Also, because it was a stupid one-off, and now folks keep whining for Miles Mayhem.

I do have to say, in-hand that sculpt is fantastic.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I generally don't need to see a figure in hand to know I like it, but there have been a few surprises I guess. The figure that I hate the most though is Matt Trakker out of sheer principle, but really because he has one of the best early head sculpts in the entire 25th line. I begrudgingly bought him for the head sculpt alone, but hate how he wasted a spot for a true vintage character when guys like Cutter, Monkeywrench and Leatherneck got shitty reuses of characters' heads that were obviously not right.

Also, because it was a stupid one-off, and now folks keep whining for Miles Mayhem.

I do have to say, in-hand that sculpt is fantastic.

This This This^^

I still feel the hate thinking about that figure!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Dollar store Snake -Eyes. Wasn't going to buy this figure until I tried to clear out a Christmas tree shop.
Made him into a usable cobra trooper.

Didn't really care for Shadow Tracker until I got the chance to get him. Wow was I wrong.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Right now for me. It's the Mumm-ra from the Thundercats line. I passed on him so many times. I found him at 5 Below and bought him for the sword. I got home and decided to paint the SDS Mumm-ra head and put it on him and now I love the figure. He has more articulation than the other Thundercats. When I saw his biceps swiveled, I was quite happy. All he needs is ankle articulation added and a wings swap.

Another one for me is the Streetfighter Guile. I bought him just for the head and ended up loving the figure.

Last edited:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Speaking of 5 bellow I bought the R2 unit they have & was happy to find out he can be parted out to finish up those build a droids. :)

Build a droid parts I need (disney equivalent.)
R5-A2 Yellow legs (comes with st luke/han)
R2-L3 torso (red) Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
1:18 Kimbo Slice impressed me so much that I couldn't bear to part the head and body. Gymbattlekata Rockblock was a lot better than I thought he'd be, and Joe Colton turned out to be more useful than I thought he would be.

thegame68

Enlisted
Aug 15, 2012
South Dakota
I really like Zanya from the BBTS 7 pack. I thought I'd end up trading her away because most of her came from Zarana, but she ended up really growing on me.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
A team movie Lynch. Didn't really think much of him, thought he might make a nice Cobra tactical supervisor for my once planned Cobra UA group. Switched out the factory head with Matt Trakker and for some reason he just exploded with coolness.

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
I bought one on a BOGO sale toward the end of the ROC figs at TRU. I think I got the other one at a Ross. Have two basic ones from a 4 pack I bought for SE and Duke. Thought I'd hate it but the mold grew on me.