Imaginext Pirates Skeleton Diver

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
That Figures: REVIEW: Imaginext Pirate Skeleton Diver

The Skeleton Diver is another strong addition to the Imaginext Pirates line-up. But before I can fully recommend it, I just want to briefly touch on the pricing of this set.

If you're used to the single-figure with mount/accessory sets (such as the jousting Castle Knights or DC Super Friends sets) then you'll know what to expect here and you should just go buy this immediately. But if your only previous experience of purchases at this price-point has been the two-figure packs, this set may give the impression that you're being short-changed.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Skeleton Diver is a superb-looking figure. Not only is he the best-looking of all the Pirate figures but he's also probably one of the best figures in the Imaginext line. The sculpt is great, the paint detail is neat and his accessories are not only a lot of fun but also offer a host of play scenarios and display potential. He's also equipped with a bunch of weapons and tools, all of which look great and fit neatly into his hands. In fact, the only way he could have been perfect is if he glowed in the dark...

And then there's the fantastic treasure chest. And any ideas you may have about the value for money this set represents should be dispelled immediately with this piece, as it more than compensates for the lack of a second figure. It's an impressive-sized accessory that looks great, has a neat paint app and will fit in with a variety of Imaginext play scenarios or displays, serving as everything from Aquaman's royal cache to the Castle Dragon's horde. Sure, the launching octopus is very gimmicky and isn't useful as anything but a missile but it's still a neat little feature and one I'm sure kids will enjoy surprising their friends with.

Beyond all that, this is a figure that hits so many perfect notes that it comes as no surprise to see collectors snapping it up. It's an undead diver that looks like the mutant offspring of Skeletor and a horror movie monster that comes with a giant treasure chest featuring a spring-loaded Cthulhu-esque octopus missile. What's not to like there?

A great figure with an equally fun accessory that kids and collectors will love.

FULL REVIEW AND MORE IMAGES:
That Figures: REVIEW: Imaginext Pirate Skeleton Diver

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
More articulation than current SWs figures. Awesome. I've actually been eyeing the various skeletons for a while. They're on the cartoony side but I still wonder if they might be used on 1:18 customs.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
More articulation than current SWs figures. Awesome. I've actually been eyeing the various skeletons for a while. They're on the cartoony side but I still wonder if they might be used on 1:18 customs.

The heads would probably fit but, like you say, they're borderline cartoony.

The Imaginext line is really great though. I read an article somewhere that said the head of the line was a big 80s toy guy and you can see that. So many awesome retro influences, yet they avoid the ''retro=over-simplified sculpts/articulation'' trap and are genuinely fun toys. I think that's what's missing from so many modern toys - ''fun.''

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
My niece went through an airplane phase, and I got her an Imaginext one that I got quite a bit of entertainment out of. They really strike me as the spiritual successor of Fisher-Price's Great Adventures line.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
My niece went through an airplane phase, and I got her an Imaginext one that I got quite a bit of entertainment out of. They really strike me as the spiritual successor of Fisher-Price's Great Adventures line.

Absolutely. Plus there's an all-but-in-name Dino Riders line, the Castle sets are filled with MOTU references, the Cosmic Chaos line-up is an amalgamation of various space lines (including Micronauts and again, MOTU), the Pirates have a Skeleton Warriors/POTC/Pirates of Dark Water vibe and, of course, there's the Super Friends line. Hell, they even did a Walter White tribute figure (I kid you not) and their Dracula has a MOTU critter as a pet and is wearing a costume that looks to be inspired by ''traditional'' Spanish clothing, which I'm assuming is a reference to the Spanish language Dracula made at the same time as the Lugosi one.

But for all that, they still have their own look and feel and - like I said - they totally avoid that simplistic approach to being retro.