March banner theme - Show of force

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Forced perspective that is..... Must use a figure that is 1:18th scale with a background or foreground. Must make it look to be scale of course. :fuckit:

No Photoshop

Last edited by a moderator:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Well no photo shop adds to the challenge. Does not mean you can't use a computer monitor as a background though....

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
If I'm understanding correctly it's like how in the comics they often draw objects closer to the foreground larger than the objects further back to create a forced perspective. Also they draw the fist coming at you in such a way as you can't see the majority of the rest of the arm. This use of forced perspective is also known as foreshortening. These concepts are often harder to achieve in photography of figures due to their slightly limited articulation compared to the human body. I'll see if I can dig up my DC comics guide to penciling, or my old How to draw comics the Marvel way to give you guys an example or two from the good old comics.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
If I'm understanding correctly it's like how in the comics they often draw objects closer to the foreground larger than the objects further back to create a forced perspective. Also they draw the fist coming at you in such a way as you can't see the majority of the rest of the arm. This use of forced perspective is also known as foreshortening. These concepts are often harder to achieve in photography of figures due to their slightly limited articulation compared to the human body. I'll see if I can dig up my DC comics guide to penciling, or my old How to draw comics the Marvel way to give you guys an example or two from the good old comics.

Kinda similar, but foreshortening and forced perspective are two different things.

Foreshortening: is the visual effect or optical illusion that causes an object or distance to appear shorter than it actually is because it is angled toward the viewer, where the size of an object's dimensions along the line of sight are relatively shorter than dimensions across the line of sight.

Example: http://www.paintdrawpaint.com/2010/12/drawing-basics-foreshortening-form.html

Forced perspective: a technique that employs optical illusion to make an object appear farther away, closer, larger or smaller than it actually is.

Example:
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/10/forced-perspective-model-car-photos/

footloose

Enlisted
Jul 19, 2011
There's only a few here that can pull this off. Have a feeling we are going to see a lot of landscape shots. Good luck on the banner contest guys

TheVP

Enlisted
Jan 2, 2013
very interesting...banner entry is one of my favorite things about this site...can't wait to see what you guys come up with

shadowwarrior

Enlisted
Nov 9, 2013
Wales, UK
www.flickr.com
Probably isn't, but is this forced perspective at all?

>inb4 dat head though

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
I'm all set and ready to take the picture but the weather isn't playing ball... constantly pissing down with rain!!!