Takara Transformers

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Beyond Sunstreaker and a Mirage, I cant think of anything else I want. I could quit with Megs and be perfectly content, but I know damn well I'll end up with Zeta's Aerialbots if they review well.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The move to super toony by TT and 3P alike really killed my enthusiasm for MP. Which, I guess is okay considering that I wanted to steer clear of MP to begin with. Those KO Datsuns sucked me right in. :grumpy: But now I have this half done collection that neither TT or 3P have any intention of finishing in the original "perfect" style. Ugh.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Beyond Sunstreaker and a Mirage, I cant think of anything else I want. I could quit with Megs and be perfectly content, but I know damn well I'll end up with Zeta's Aerialbots if they review well.

I like Zeta's Aerialbots, as the overall designs look good, and the price is definitely right. It's the headsculpts that really bug me. AirRaid's noggin is odd. I know it's supposed to be the toy look, but it's not quite right. And FT's is super toony, but I know the quality will be there. I'm hoping a future bot will come with an upgraded head for Zeta's AR, and then maybe I'll get on the trolley.

When I think combiners, I still bristle at how much I spent on TFC Herc, Uranos, and FP Intimidator... and they were all colossal piles of very expensive shit. I got back on the wagon with Constructor, mostly because it was a v2 with fixes in a box set that was cheaper than the original single figures. It's great, but I need more 20" transformers like I need a hole in the head, especially ones that I have a 50/50 shot of regretting in two years.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, this thing is looking great.

It does indeed hurt knowing how much was spent on the crap TFC put out. The cost of the MT/FP sets will end up being the same as the much larger MP sized sets. :mad: :shakefist:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
That does look really good. I could totally see me talking myself into a Zeta combiner, as my complaints about the head sculpts are pretty moot when I'd probably be leaving it in combined more 99% of the time anyway. But I must resist. I know the FT version will be glorious, and even if it's not, it'll drive the price down on these even further. It pays to wait. It pays to wait....

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
FT’s is better for individual figures, but Zeta blows it away combined from what I’ve seen plus $60 per MP Seeker sized jet is a steal. Zeta’s Bruticus is a mess which is a shame since Vortex’s alt mode is so awesome. Glad I got the Jinbao Bruticus for $100. Now the ‘bots need a combiner to fight him and Zeta easily wins in price and sturdiness.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I find it hilarious that TTs/Hasbros insistence to capitalize on their old molds and not move on to other characters has likely cost them substantially. Sure, there will always be those "TT or nothing" guys, but there are MANY more that aren't that would've gobbled up a new TT character that TT is losing money on.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Even Zeta's attractive price is going to run collectors $350-ish for the set. That's still plenty enough to give me pause when I'm not 100% sure it won't be a regret-purchase down the road.

I'm not an FT ass-kisser, but I've learned to never count them out. Their stuff usually changes substantially for the better between renders and release. Thus, either their Aerialbots/Superion will look better, and I'd regret buying Zeta, or it'll look worse, but it's very existence will push the price of Zeta's product down further, because FT fanboys.

And Zeta being a rebranded Toyworld offshoot has a history already of producing upgraded v2 figures. I'd be piiiiiiiiiissed if I bought individual v1 Constructor figs only to have a fixed v2 boxset with extra G1 parts come out for cheaper just months later. Mega pissed.

I see no scenario, other than the collecting addiction dopamine hit, in which it's a good idea for me to buy Zeta now. I very well might own him later, but it'll be an informed later, not a just-because-it's-out now.

Truthfully, you could make this argument for any figure, but the problem and risk are exaggerated when you're talking about five proprietary-combining figures. If I jump on the wrong Kup or Springer, I'm out $75 and enjoyed it along the way. For some reason, I can't feel that nonchalant about a $350 combiner. Dunno.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Even if I only bought Zeta's F4 Phantom (the F-15's design has that stupid nose cone and doesn't cover up the blocky body that makes the combined form so great), I'll be happy. My Bots' need some air support and Zeta's figs look solid as hell.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Even Zeta's attractive price is going to run collectors $350-ish for the set. That's still plenty enough to give me pause when I'm not 100% sure it won't be a regret-purchase down the road.

Well, I know that the $350 isn't chump change compared to a single fig purchase, BUT, $350 for a combiner compared to the $600 combiners from just a couple years ago AND they're twice the size?!

Then you have to think about not only the character(s), but also that two companies are releasing that same character. It's Superion/Aerialbots. What's the likelihood of them getting a second release? Sure, Devastator got a second release and also a G2 release, but that's a way more popular character(s).

Like you said, your best bet is FT fans unloading their Zeta sets, but I wouldn't count on a V2.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
TW did a v2 to fix all the issues with the first run constructor figs. I can only assume Zeta will do the same, if for no other reason than to get more use out of the molds. Giftsets are a great way to get new buyers who didn't want to buy the group until they all came out. Fixing things along the way is a bonus to lure in more people.

I'm not too keen on picking up used TFs. I don't want a zeta set that some mouthbreather has bent, stressed, slobbered on and jacked off in front of. THEY'VE SEEN THINGS, MAN! But I do hope that FT will drive the prices down on the remaining stock, if I decide FT's doesn't measure up.

I dunno. You know how I feel about S2 anyway. Powerglide, Grapple, Hoist, Warpath, Seaspray and the rest of the misfit replacements can go go fuck a washing machine. The Aerialbots are the best thing to come out of TF in 1985. But if I somehow screw the pooch and completely miss out? Meh, I'll live.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
$350 at once would hurt, but $60 4x's plus another $100 for the torso spread across a year is chump change. TT charges over $100 for cars and $200 for leaders these days...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
TT charges over $100 for cars and $200 for leaders these days...

And I haven't been excited about an official MP since Wheeljack ~ 3-4 years ago... Technically I eventually bought Tracks, but it was a black-friday clearance special (and even at $50 I regret it), and I bought the reissue of Magnus, but I got him heavily discounted through a japanese retailer.

TT isn't even on my radar anymore. Their designs are nausea-inducingly toony, and their prices are absurd. Add in the eventual black repaint of every single mold for no reason, beast wars, and every other creative diversion they're taking, and I just have no fucks to give about HasTak. If they went out of business, I doubt I'd notice.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd considered the first point, and I think as far as the MP and "25th" lines go, we are the target demo. I mean, they can't be targeting kids that have no idea what those nostalgic lines are especially when there is nothing marketing the lines to them.

But I'd never considered your second point. The "tots" working there now are the Power Rangers generation. They design something "close enough" and think that we'll eat it up.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well, the designers of the first several years of MP were clearly of our generation. But no one from our generation would design beast wars figures. I assume the young-ification of the design team is what has caused these creative tangents... and I assume it's also the source of the toonification of MP. The younger designers might have seen the cartoon in reruns and might have some mild connection to it, but the toys would have been long gone from stores, and ebay didn't exist. They would have likely never held a G1 toy.

That's clearly a lot of assuming, but it makes sense. Like you say, they're the Power Rangers generation. Why would we even expect them to have any idea what a MP G1 toy really should look and feel like? It's not like I would even know what features were important to a BW figure. I can't even name one, aside from the monkey!

It feels like the cyclical nature of things. I'm sure the olds who grew up in the late 60's and early 70's were (and still are) bitter at the rise of ARAH. "A change in scale? Goofy villains? Bright colors? Bah, back in my day, we made up our own code names and file cards! The only enemies were firecrackers and the family dog. Every soldier was named 'Joe'. That's the way it was, and we liked it!"

No matter how much we hate it, G1 will be phased out. In 15 years, the majority of new collectors will be clamoring for an entire line of MP bayformers, or SMDH, "Animated" figures. Ugh.

Getting old sucks!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don’t care because I squeezed my perfectly sized collection before the wheels came off. I’ll grab a KO Sunstreaker and Superion, then never worry again. Amazing how finally getting a Megatron filled the void in my collecting heart with a nice little bow on top. I have never felt this satisfied since the day I picked up that Subaru Impreza Alternator 13yrs ago to open my adult world to toys.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Totally agree. Like I said in an earlier post, 3P has gotten me so close to completion that Big-H could go under and I wouldn't notice. Toro and Berserk are the only must-haves on the immediate horizon for me. I'd like a G1-looking astrotrain at some point. Anything else (like a non-midget-hunchback Hot Rod) is gravy.

However, for some odd/random reason, I have a strange yearning for some MP Jumpstarters. I started MP-esque customs of Topspin and Twintwist several years ago - back when the idea of ever getting them seemed remote... and I stalled out about halfway through. But now that I have my airbrush kind of figured out, I'm tempted to polish those two off. That being said, I'm more certain than ever that we'll have multiple 3P versions available in the next 2-3 years, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. But in reality, I suppose customs are as much about the journey as the end product, so I'll probably go ahead and finish those off in the coming months.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Hasbro actually delivered, Slag and Swoop are straight out of my kid heart. Of course the yet to be gotten Grimlock is a total disaster in dino mode because combiner, but I’ll forgive them for the gimmick since it has no effect on these two guys.

The very thought of Jinbao coming along to knock them up, fill in some hollow spots and add a little more articulation has me creaming myself. I’ve always wanted a whole set and soon that bucket list will be checked off. The mold detail is other level stuff for Hasbro and just begging to be jumbo sized.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I do not. I talked myself out of it in the hopes that they'd do the toy deco. Yeah, yeah, Harmony Gold lawsuit. Blah blah blah. :D

I'm not a slave to the toon like some guys. I just like the TFs like.

Attachments

• jetfir.jpg
    jetfir.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 17

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I have him. He's large and imposing... although not nearly as large as FT or Zeta Superion will be. I haven't transformed him b/c I'm really a bot guy, but he's gorgeous. You can't go wrong with Phoenix. Big, heavy, sturdy... just what you'd expect from FT. Plus S1 >> S2.

That being said, I'm warming up to cheap Zeta aerialbots, especially now that rumors of alternate heads are looking more and more like reality. Those $60 prices for seeker-scale limbs are hard to turn down.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I like the Zeta a lot, but the $70 x’s 4 shipped plus whatever Silverbolt costs skyrockets past Phoenix’s $220 price. There’s that whole patience thing too...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nacho, all the videos on Phoenix have bright lighting that blows out all the detail on the white plastic. Can you see details when it’s standing in normal lighting or is it something to panel line?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
He doesn't have a ton of detailing. There's a good bit on the inside of the lower legs, but overall he doesn't have gundam-level detail that would require panel-lining.

I have him standing in the back of the crowd, so I can't really say what exactly shows up in normal lighting. My office is dim in the evening. I'll look again when there is some natural light tomorrow.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I want those BC mini bots, but will never spend $80 a pop on them. Won’t even spend $80 on a full car bot.

Do you guys know which Trailbreaker that is? Looks great with the rest.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty sure it's the Badcube version with aftermarket decals.

Personally I prefer Ocular Max, X-transbot and Fanstoys over Badcube's. I just hate that versions legs.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, he's really good at that...assuming it's the same guy I've seen doing that for years. My favorite pics are his combiner shots.