The Walking Dead - Season 8

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I thought they found lots more than that, seriously! They had an entire warehouse and Rosita found an RPG...but all they came back with was some junk, a loud speaker and some smoke grenades??

My wife has officially dropped out of watching this show. She missed pretty much all of last season and all of this season, and she doesn't really seem to care. She was in the room for the last episode and she kinda watched it, and I filled her in on what was what, but shes missed so much shes given up on catching up.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
OK, so I finally caught up so I can get in here and post (not sure why I cared about spoilers this go round, but whatevs). I try not to be just another negative Nancy in here, but man, for a season that was supposed to be so “YUGEâ€￾ so far it feels really, really lazy and predictable. Sorry, here come the :words:

Same old plot devices and lazy directing style – Rick’s group organizes, hits the bad guys hard, seems to have an infallible plan (we old fans never buy that mess). Indestructible Rick goes around and gets in trouble (oh, noez!). Indestructible (at least until finales) Negan gets in trouble (oh, noez!)… And then the tables turn… Close up of Rick’s teary eyes and sweaty curly Q hair… again… Another faces and music montage… Let’s slooooowwww things down… again…

But wait, there’s more! Some member (or two or three or four – Daryl, Tara, Morgan, Michonne) of the group get all hardcore and want their revennnnnge!!! Meanwhile, other members (Jesus, Coral) get all emo and have to try to find a kinder, gentler solution (in the frickin’ zombie apocalypse…) and help the less fortunate (Saviors – seriously? And a conveniently Middle Eastern immigrant type – I thought for sure that guy was gonna save Carl’s life somehow. Social justice, dontchaknow?). Suddenly you are supposed to empathize, uh oh, somebody’s gonna die – predictably another gay dude and this time the CGI tiger. And Coral (oh noez, the feels!!!). I’m sorry, but they should have done him while he was still young and cute if they wanted to make a real impact. He hasn’t been much more than awful hair and emo relief for a while now.

You guys have already covered the ammo and weapon issues pretty well (CGI gunshots are sooooo lazy). No sense beating that dead horse again. And what’s the deal with Durl crushing the fat lady only to have Eugene do exactly the same plan without it? Duh. And the Aaron gets a baby to love only to leave it and go get in trouble with the Amazons? How are the women, now without guns, going to do anything against the Saviors? Duh. And the trash people… again? Rick must have a fetish and a deathwish with that pack of whackadoodles…

And… ugh :rolleyes:… so the good guys have snipers set up all around the sanctuary and some kind of communication/mail system, but can’t find a way to let anybody know the Saviors are getting out? And all the prominent team members just decide between the last episode and the finale to meander back home instead of watching the perimeter of where your enemies are trapped… in a war..? So stupid! They deserve to lose. They really, really do.

OK, I’ll stop, even though there’s more. As I told my wife while we were watching the mid finale last night, I’m actually kinda pulling for Negan now. He’s the only guy who seems to have this world figured out and has no qualms doing whatever it takes to make the best of it (admittedly, much to his own benefit). And, as he said, he kept a lot of people alive that would not have fared so well out there on their own. Dude just needs to carry a good sidearm along with Lucille. He’s gotten complacent on his throne. Maybe he’ll learn from having treason high up in his leadership. Or maybe he just figures he’s earned whatever happens to him.

I also respect Eugene. He is admittedly self-serving and seems fully self-aware now. I feel like he’s now the most honest (with himself) character on the show, though I don’t know if they are going anywhere with his new found wine fancy. Drama and stuff I guess.

And then there’s Dwight. He’s hard to look at, but fun to watch. I’d say he’s the most interesting character right now. Anticipating what Negan would/will do to him when he finds out is the best thing happening right now, and has definitely taken the spotlight from Daryl, at least for now. His interactions with Eugene are gold. The show needs more of this and less drama that’s just for the sake of drama.

I still gotta go back and catch the second half of FTWD. Moving made that one near impossible for me to DVR. Anyway, if anybody made it through my rant, 27-1/2 extra internets for you today.
:D

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yessss I needed that 27 1/2 extra internets!

Mostly agree across the board.

I feel like they've strung out this 'war' for so long that there isn't much rage left. Yeah, Saviors bad and all that.. but they killed Glen & Abraham like.. forever ago. And considering what Ricks group did recently, their rules for letting the Hilltop/etc back into the fold really don't seem all that terrible. Imagine if some Saviors massacred everyone at Hilltop and then Rick was like.. that was bad, we liked Maggie and Jesus.. but as long as we can kill one of you, we're cool.

And yes, the entire follow-through for pinning in the Saviors was retarded. So none of the snipers watching them noticed Daryl ramming the building with his truck? Or thinking "Hmm better keep an extra eye on this now". And the Saviors managed to kill all the spotters simultaneously? Why didn't one of the spotter/snipers kill Eugene when he was trying to fly his drone? Why didn't they raid the surrounding buildings and / or disable their vehicles! Why .. why!! Ugh.

Side note.. I was catching up on some other shows last night (Supernatural, Designated Survivor) and god damn it, whenever there was a shootout, the car windows got shot out RIGHT AWAY. It's like everyone in TWD purposefully avoids hitting the windows. I wonder if they have to do so many takes they just get lazy? TWD shootouts are so bullshit.

FTWD 2nd half of last season was actually good.. not great, but it was enjoyable enough for me for the most part.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Ha.. I mean.. I'm sure no one likes to 'die' and lose that paycheck, especially since he's been on the show since the beginning. Since he's a minor I bet the parents were make sure to shave off some of that $$$ for themselves.

My hope is this starts a big kill-off of named characters. Lets go back to a small group and better written stories. They don't do "big" very well on this show. It's like they feel like they constantly need to up the stakes HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER.. but in the end we get the same result. One person dies, things go back to normal, something else bad comes along. It's gotten really stale.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They don't do big very well because they are too cheap. The shot out windows for example. They won't shoot them out early on in a firefight when they would get shot out just in case they need to do more takes even though they could easily replace the glass with fresh glass for new takes.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Another good reason to pair down the cast.. I'm sure when you add up all the stars it gets pretty expensive to keep this ever growing cast paid.

Why they can't pay a proper weapons expert to vet their writing and shooting scenes.. I don't know..

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Which.. like.. okay.. lets discuss that.

So the setup is as follows:

Daryl & Co are setup on the right side of the road, with their cars blocking said road.

......DARYL
====================
CARS..........SMOKE
====================

The Saviors are driving in 3 (?) cars down the road, from right to left. Dwight sees the ambush coming and drives through the smoke and stops their cars in front of the blocking cars, and essentially right in front of Daryl & Co.

......DARYL
====================
CARS...SAVIORS CAR..SMOKE
====================

The cars get riddled with bullets, killing some Saviors. The remaining Saviors (and Dwight) exit the left side of their cars to protect from incoming fire.

.....DARYL
====================
CARS...SAVIORS CAR...SMOKE
.........DWIGHT....SAVIORS
====================

Dwight proceeds to shoot the other Saviors who are behind cover, showing he's really with the good guys. After he does this, Neck-Tattoo-Chick comings running around from the right side of the Saviors Car.. which would have been in clear view of Daryl & Co.. sees he shot the other Saviors, tussles with him, and then runs away in the same direction she came from.. which would still be in direct view of Daryl & Co.. and yet none of them see/kill her?! Is this just poor follow through or did I miss something?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh it was poor... piss poor.
Shocker. :rolleyes:

Why they can't pay a proper weapons expert to vet their writing and shooting scenes.. I don't know..
They don't even need an expert. I feel like my wife could pick out their idiocy. Maybe they are surrounded by a ton of yes men too terrified to point out their mistakes for fear of getting fired? Or probably the more likely scenario is that they know their mistakes but just don't care.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Truly, even using blank firing replicas (or modified, blank firing actuals) would be a great start. Actors pretending (or not) the recoil with poorly CGI'ed flashes and generic sounds is pretty pathetic when your story has that much gun play.

Contrast any TWD shootout with the shootouts in say Heat (from a while ago, mind you. You'd think modern tech would make it easier...), and you will really notice the difference, and (be warned) it will ruin you for cheesy CGI'ed flashes and dubbed sound forever.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Its mind bottling when you watch other shows being filmed today.. and how much better they do it. Not even movies.. just other TV shows.. and not necessarily military TV shows.. almost any show with gun play.

TWD can get away with it when they're mostly using firearms as drama devices.. am i gonna shoot.. or am I not gonna shoot.. but this whole "war" thing has done them no favors whatsoever. They need to suddenly remember that ammo is a scarce commodity and stop it. I don't see them collecting spent casings ever...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You'd think though by all those fancy, tricked out guns they are using, it'd be a no brainer just to run blanks in them. I mean their "armorer" certainly has all the toys. Seems like they took the "cheap" route... Though I don't know how the time spent by an animator/sound tech would be less than the cost of the blanks in bulk. Maybe they're farming it out overseas or something.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I mean I don't watch it live, I DVR it. Mostly because it comes on at 6PM Pacific with DirecTV and I don't want to watch it around the kids..

There should be some sort of metric to see how the brand is doing as a whole besides just viewership ratings. I mean I have to imagine talk on twitter/facebook/socials etc should be just as big a deal as the antiquated nielsen ratings or whatever.

If they're still making $$$ bank on TWD merch/etc.. I don't see the show going anywhere for a while.

I'd be interesting to see the revenue breakup with a show like this with commercial revenue vs merch vs tie-ins etc.

I'll keep watching but I'm not evangelizing the show to anyone anymore.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Last edited:

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Gimple got promoted to being in charge of all thing Walking Dead didn't he?

I can't see it being any worse really.. but she was a writing and assistant before so.. don't really see it changing much.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The brain trust running this thing is gonna save the show next season with a nude zombie. I though bicycle girl was nude, but whatever. This is sure to be the boost this show desperately needs. :whatever:

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
TWD came back last night..

SPOILERS AHEAD

It was okay....

I thought they did a good job with ending Carl's story and using it as a way to push the show forward. It wasn't over the top emotional, but it was probably the biggest 'death' on the show so far, I assume only Rick of Daryl could be bigger at this point. Maybe Carol, but she's been kind of sidelined the last season or so.

The firearm usage is still way-over-the-border-line ridiculous. Automatic fire, all the time. I can't imagine how much ammo they go though on a daily basis. I never see anyone collecting casings either..

Crazy to think he's been on the show since he was like 10 or something. That has to be weird from an actors perspective to not be going back.

Honestly I think I'd be happy if they finished off this season with a nice ending and just finished the show. Save the extra comic stuff for another show set in the same universe (Like FTWD).

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
It was weird they had Negan in the "flash forward" picking tomatoes and talking to Ricks daughter, then the scenes from next weeks show show Rick going after Negan saying "this is where you die".

Yeah, Negan ain't going to be picking anything at the end of this season.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Last weeks episode was okay I guess.

Glad to see the stupid trash people get it finally.

They really just need to wrap up this nonsense and go in another direction or something.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Last night was a Zzz fest (again).

Killed the doctor, which was okay I guess, seemed kind of dumb. Gabriel did a good job with his acting though. The whole bear trap thing was typical TWD stupidness though.

I think I'm in it till the end, but man this show is getting bad. They need to kill off 2/3rd of the people, have the interesting Rick's people and Saviors combine into one small group and get on the road to somewhere else.

The show needs to figure out what it is trying to be.

I'd be interested in a "rebuild society after zombie apocalypse" type of show, which they sorta touch on, but not really, because they're too busy being stupid or fighting with other people.

I'd also be interested in a deep, story-driven survival-type show, where they have to scrounge and scavenge to survive. The show used to be like this, but they've always tried to transition into something else.

Whatever they're doing now is just.. not good.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
The only way this works:

Is if somehow Morgan is a crossover character!

I mean it sounds kinda cool. but I don't think I'd bother. I hope they just massacre everyone in the finale though. Wipe the damn slate clean.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I guess I was right, Morgan is a crossover character :) Call me Paulstrodamus..

Spoilers or whatever ahead.

I REALLY liked both episodes, and I haven't liked an episode in a long time. I read somewhere the spoilers about the bad ammo, so that wasn't a surprise to me (would have been cool), but everything else was just fine. The only thing I didn't like was Maggies little squad at the end saying they're going to need to teach Rick and Michone something or another.. just not needed. I get that she wants to kill Negan.. but everyone just needs to move on already.

Hopefully we'll see the huge herd slam into the area next season and everyone has to work together. Of course they'll have human drama during this.. but hopefully it's okay.

Morgan going to FTWD? Seems perfect to me. He kind of ran his course with the normal show, and I couldn't see his character doing much new. He'll get to play off the new people now.. so I'm excited for that. Loved the FTWD premier.. as that is how these shows used to be, smaller in scope and more personal.. I guess they're in Texas now? Should be interesting.

At least for a night, Walking Dead was great again.