True 1/18th Scale purist

wolfwarrior690

The Wolf
Nov 18, 2016
Bowman, Georgia
How many of yall are true 1/18th scale purest? In other words how many her are absolutely neurotic about one of your models being 1/18th scale to the tee? In other words if you found a model that was lets say actually 1/14th scale but would fit a 1/18th scale figure would yo buy it?

Reactions: mutt71

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Ha....thats a loaded question here brother....... if you have looked through lots of the posts made throughout the site.... you can see that these guys are 80% purists and 20% colorful GI Joes..... This is a custom site so most of the time we take those 'other' toys and make them better. Or fit a GI Joe. For example ....I made a CH-47 out of two Hero's brand Sea Knights.... Pickle will make something absolute to scale that GI Joes don't deserve.... Hind anyone? As long as we can make them look like they belong beside Joes.....that's cool.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I'd say most people here are 1:18th scale fans, but not 'rivet counters' who demand 1:1 scaling or detail for everything.

Of course I'd prefer if it was the correct scale, but sometimes we don't have a choice, especially if going for customs or dioramas etc.

In some instances, 'true scale' 1:18 die cast vehicles don't work well because figures don't fit in them, since figures don't bend like people do.

Ultimately it comes down to what you're trying to achieve, which I think is more important than scale. Are you doing photos? Scale doesn't matter since you can adjust with perspective. If its for your own peace of mind..? Well.. good luck!

blackblast

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I like more in 1:18 than other scale, but if there's not any option, i can take some GiJoes stuff with my items.
Anyway i have some GiJoe vehicles like whale and looks cool.
I have some 1:16 items from merit that works cool, too.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I use 1:16 scale R/C tanks as my vehicles of choice. They just seem more imposing, are much better detailed, individual linked tracks, torsion suspension and can actually play with them the 2 times a year I get the itch to.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I don't like to mix scales. t doesn't have to be correct down to the millimeter, but really darn close. Transformers drives me absolutely bonkers! That stuff is all out of whack. Ask nacho. :D But yeah, the only thing that I'm a little loose on is construction equipment considering it comes in multiple sizes in real life. I'm also flexible on vehicles that there are no real life counterparts for. Sci-fi stuff for example.

Certain things also get a pass if for comical purposes.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
*cough* Megatron *cough*

:trollface:

I'm a purist, but not an overly detailist, if that makes any sense. Mainly for me it has to look legit, if only at a slight distance. I don't care about rivets...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
*cough* Megatron *cough*

:trollface:

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
I wish just one joe vehicle was 1/18 scale, say the warthog, Mean Dog, APC, etc. the warthog is 1/3rd the size it should be, mean dog 1/2 size, I get that they are smaller to
sell and fit on shelves and keep price down, but it would be nice to have one true scale vehicle.
If the joe club would do a vehicle and take preorders to get enough money to pay for something like that I’d be all in.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
It's almost a moot point these days, since there's basically nothing new coming out in this scale. Most of the stuff available now is Chap Mei/Lanard stuff which are great for your kids but for the most part look low class next to Marauders/Joes/Bravo Team/What have you and would require obscene amounts of work to make into something that looks great. That basically makes the only viable option on the current market right now being Power Team Elite toys, which are a dieing breed as Big Lots weeds it out from its shelves, the price rises every year, and all the cool new stuff that isn't two decades old that M&C toys makes pretty much have to be imported directly from China.

However, most people here would make a solid argument that M&C toys isn't perfect because the stock paint work is awful, the figures though well articulated are cheap looking garbage that your kids should be strapping fireworks to, and of course their vehicles are under scaled. The larger the vehicle is suppose to be at scale, the more they will cheat proportions to make it look the part for a kid to play with. That said a lot of folks on here have done a lot with PTE stuff to make them look way better than they had any right to, so they make a great template for the talented and enthusiastic.

Last edited: