Whiskey Desert / Mountain Ambush Squad

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm going to keep them all in this thread going forward. With the new Lanard Corp vehicle I'm calling the ATGT (All Terrian Gun Truck), I wanted to make a 3 or 4 man team to go with it. I have 3 now and may add a fourth possibly the alrenate head for Zartan I'm calling Blaze with MAS3. I'm using the POC Dusty as a base. The ROC Desert Duke vests with various pouches from FOV & bbi figures and misc other gadgets like radios, cords and mic's.

I left the torso and arms as is, but painted the legs a simple Model Master "US Army/Marines Gulf AR."

Painted soles and laces on boots and scuffed up the knee pads with sand paper.

So we have:
Dusty, Tacoma (Ateam Head) & Rusty (Ateam with Hat), who I use to have on an ROC Duke Desert body, which I'm moving away from because I think Dusty is a better base. It's taller and more realistic looking.

I just threw my Desert low Light in here for comparison and he'll show from time to time on certain missions, errr dios.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 46
  • lowlightdesert1.jpg
    lowlightdesert1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 41
  • lowlightdesert7.jpg
    lowlightdesert7.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 39
  • wambush1.jpg
    wambush1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 43

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wish I got into video games, but I think I know what you're refering to. Call Of Duty?Thanks dude

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
You've done some great work here, making this a cohesive and believeable unit.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Yeah. Sorry, should have written it out. The dio pic looks a lot like a beach landing. Most of the plants look close to in-scale. It's very nice.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
great looking unit, i mean team Rick :D...the color of 'em is real easy on the eyes...they seem more fluid than they used too, kinda blend together better...

nice getting to see some better shots of LL...he looks bada$$ man...

might i suggest a wash on them?...ya know, dirty them up a bit?...they look fine as is, but it sure would up the awesomeness of them

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Consider it done Eddie. That makes perfect sense.

It may be tough to see, but the sandpaper on the knee pads looks great

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Consider it done Eddie. That makes perfect sense.

It may be tough to see, but the sandpaper on the knee pads looks great

Thats a really good idea scuffing the kneepads up with sandpaper. Once you put a wash on them, that little detail should show up nice. What grit did you use to do it.

They all look really great. I love the uniformity yet individualism approach you did here with the subtle differences.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
These are all great Rick! I really enjoy your customs and your photos! Desert Low-Light is the bomb...I have never seen one on pegs - but if I ever do...I will be copying that! :D

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, finished the forth member of the ATGT Team. I want to dirty them up as GI Eddie suggested and agree is needed. Can't have a dirty truck, arms and not the uniform.

I'm looking for feedback or suggestions.

1. Should I use a darker brown or black?

2. Use the same method as the tank tutorial by thining it out with water?

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
black should be fine. Water it down, brush it on, let is collect in the cracks and crevices. I sometime use a wiping method where i leave the black a little thicker and them wipe it off with a paper towel or rag- this gives a super dirty, months out in the field look. Then, if you're feeling adventurous and/or lucky, you could try dry brushing with a light tan or gray color to bring out the highlights. I'll sometimes dry brush the boots and knee pads with a mud/dirt color. The wash/dry brush combination really makes all the texture and detail pop, but definitely practice both on figures you don't care much about or plan to repaint anyway to get the hang of it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
the corps technique sounds really good, but personally i'd go with the dark brown instead of black...you want them to look dirty, but not painfully obvious dirty...check NSAs figs for great examples