On the Workbench

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks, fellas.

I've got a pistol case I need to finish up, and I should start "stocking shelves". Brainstorming some display stands for certain items as well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm wondering if I couldn't find a diecast car case small enough to work? Something larger than Hot Wheels/Matchbox, but still small enough not to be ridiculous. I'll have to look around.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I'm wondering if I couldn't find a diecast car case small enough to work? Something larger than Hot Wheels/Matchbox, but still small enough not to be ridiculous. I'll have to look around.

The 1000s of pieces of clear plastic from the packaging would be a good place to start, you could easily build out something with wooden coffee stirrers.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
EH, that stuff is good for some display case styles, but not what I have in mind here.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Okay, I'm asking for a little help getting a little head...

I have this new group of cannibals I'm planning on making, now that I'm almost done with my last Wastelander.

This new group are like the Wastelanders; survivors of the collapse who have done what they had to in order to survive. Unlike the Wastelanders, though, who were coastal urban dwellers, this as-yet-to-be-named cannibal tribe are from the Appalachia region. Mountain folk whose backwoods blend of Pentecostal fanaticism, superstitious ludditisim, and psychotropic moonshine resulted in a twisted bielief that the one true communion is only with human flesh and blood.
The wild hogs of the mountains have become their totem animal, and members often wear hog's head helmets for their ritualistic hunts. Dried hocks, tails, and sow's ears often adorn their clothing, as do the bones of their prey.

So, I'm looking for some piggies to cut up. I need some that'll scale well for heads, as hogging them out for helmets seems like too much work. I figure one flesh head and one pig head per dude. I can use the rest of the bit to fashion other accessories.

I'm honing my sculpting skills along with turning stuff into heads, so cutting up a scale animal and having someone cast a few hog heads after I work 'em seems my best course of action... But I need to find the right donor toy pig first :)

Y'all's help is greatly appreciated!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I have this head bro - WhateverHead #0073 Using it for a Prof Pyg. The scupt is fantastic.

It is the first things I have painted since Nov. Ill get pics for you in a little while. Get ready, I am going to be a head painting machine in the next weeks. So much pent up painting aggression inside of me. haha

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Here you go. I put the guy on the right in the pic to show that those cheap ass rings for kids out of bubblegum style machine work great as helmet visors too. Not sure if any Pig ones are out there. Not my best paint jobs, hands still a little shaky yet. My son built the figures and the apron for me, I just added the paint.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd do a web search for pigs from Schleich, Papo and Safari Ltd. Having seen severed pig heads at the local Wal-Marts, they are gonna look large on a figure's shoulders. The bigger issue is sculpting a skin flap to cover up where you hacked it off of the body.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I have this head bro - WhateverHead #0073 Using it for a Prof Pyg. The scupt is fantastic.

It is the first things I have painted since Nov. Ill get pics for you in a little while. Get ready, I am going to be a head painting machine in the next weeks. So much pent up painting aggression inside of me. haha

Right on! I'm looking forward to see what you crank out, brother.

That is definitely a cool sculpt, and I love my AF parts, but it is a bit too anthropomorphic for what I'm looing for. Eschewing a picture of an actual severed pig's head, here is some pic of a pig head mask that is close to what I'm imagining:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Another option is to get a piglet and cut the face off of it and off of a donor head sculpt and then glue them together.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I'd do a web search for pigs from Schleich, Papo and Safari Ltd. Having seen severed pig heads at the local Wal-Marts, they are gonna look large on a figure's shoulders. The bigger issue is sculpting a skin flap to cover up where you hacked it off of the body.

I think I can handle the sculpting, as I've been practicing with GreenStuff lately.
I'm going to have to find some places that sell those brands and just bring a dude in to see it firsthand, perhaps.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's why I never did my ram mask. Couldn't nail out how I wanted it done.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Thanks to the female Cobra Trooper build I have gotten back into customizing. I've put together an ARAH Falcon and Oktober Guard Daina builds. Paint work on all 3 will begin as a soon as I have time. I still need a cast of the Club Daina head and need to cut down the harness. Falcon still needs the neck extended, a knife and flashlight from Marauder Inc that I need to dig out, and the neckerchief from Slaughters Marauder Falcon. I might also sand down the bottom of the forearms to better blend into that hands. Or I might just use Ret Colton arms, though I don't like the shape of the hands from that figure.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Angel Forge has a proper Ushanka available. I know it comes to what will fit, and that the Daina cast is kind of small( there's gonna be some dremeling to get it far enough down on that neck to get it to look right, but I digress), but Big Ben's cold weather DPM cap just doesn't work to me.

She definitely needs the Dagobah Luke hands and some square mag pouches. Probably should lose the grenades, too.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I keep forgetting that the Club and Hasbro have given us 3 separate Falcons yet none of them are really very good, unless you're just really drunk or squint your eyes really, really tightly... Which is infuriating because there are plenty of available parts to make the figure almost perfectly. They just can't seem to do it.

Not bad! Will be great to see it painted up finally. It'll just remind me how horrible all the official offerings really are.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Just bought knee pads and Trooper helmet from Jesse. Apparently I had rewards points because the order cost me $1 shipped. And that made up for the $8 shipped I had to spend for a hat from Angel Forge.

I keep forgetting that the Club and Hasbro have given us 3 separate Falcons yet none of them are really very good

Falcon was one of the best vintage figures made and a very popular character. And that shit is what Hasbro releases for a modern version.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Thinking of revisiting Squaw here. I really need a new hip piece as I botched what turned out to be a completely unnecessary mod to the X-23 ball socket, then I fuckered up the t-bar end. I don't think anyone casts it, so I may have to sacrifice my Jubilee for the sake of having a functioning figure again. It also looks like I'll need to start hoarding Dagobah Lukes. *shakes head*

Oh, and the head is still butch as hell. That's what happens when you have to resort to using a male headsculpt on a female character :trollface:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I don't think the head looks bad, and I also wouldn't have known it was a male if you wouldn't have said anything.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

Thinking of revisiting Squaw here. I really need a new hip piece as I botched what turned out to be a completely unnecessary mod to the X-23 ball socket, then I fuckered up the t-bar end. I don't think anyone casts it, so I may have to sacrifice my Jubilee for the sake of having a functioning figure again. It also looks like I'll need to start hoarding Dagobah Lukes. *shakes head*

Oh, and the head is still butch as hell. That's what happens when you have to resort to using a male headsculpt on a female character :trollface:

MW's favorite custom, ever.

If you have X-23 fodder, does that mean you have those wrist guards too? :wave:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The sculpt is definitely masculine, it's just hidden by the war paint and lighting.

And yes, Rex, I do.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The sculpt is definitely masculine, it's just hidden by the war paint and lighting.

And yes, Rex, I do.

"Native" ladies aren't always the most petite, so I think it works just fine.

I'll have to find something to trade you for those wrist wraps, if you're feeling squirrelly. I don't need any part of the rest of the figure, but I've been looking for a decent price on an X-23 for awhile and there aren't any to be had.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They're sitting on my nameless Mara Jade-based LBC, but I am amenable to sending them your way.

And while what you say is definitely true, I would prefer a sculpt that was a little less salty.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The head is very temporary...probably until I ca get my hands on one of the Joecon ones.

Paint work still needs to be done, along with a little more gear.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Damn paint on the Trooper turned out too dark and too purple. I would have preferred a nice medium blue, but that would have offended my sense of order not matching my 50th Troopers. So I had to try and match the dark blue. Wet, the paint was damn close in color.

Has anyone cast the Young Indy neckerchief? I think I am going to use that one instead if I can find one.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, the joys of trying to match colors. Working on my former spook head, and wondering how I want to gloss his glasses. Normally I'd just use gloss paint, but my gloss black Model Master has turned into a useless mass. My options are multiple coats of Future or a coat of clear parts glue/maker.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Might put another coat of Future on, and I may need to trim some of that leftover neck meat. Still no coat solution, but the head was my bigger concern.

There's wuite a bit of detail on the head sculpt after I hit it with brake fluid and a brass brush. The left side of the head had flesh-tone paint on it for some reason. Really odd shit.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
...which brings me to a question, and I've never used it as I don't often venture outside of "paint" chemicals on customs aside from the casual rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol to strip paint... I've seen TF customizers jerk off to the versatility of Future Floor Polish (or whatever it's called) from using it to clearcoat stuff to building up joints, so is that what you're using here, too?