Takara Transformers

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I don't hate Shockwave from TT. He's too short, the color is too lilac, and his build is a tad off, but I despise Quakeblast. There's not a fantastic version of any Shockwave, to be honest. I'd prefer something between FT's and TT's.

As far as Hound from MT, I guess I can't explain it. FT's looks great other than the jeep mode being about 10-15% too big next to the cars, but the MT one looks like an upscaled CHUG figure. Way better than that other one, but the FT one blows it out of the water. Day's is way more elegant in all aspects, including proportions and it's a slightly cleaner design. Gundog's side mirrors and front winch look like they're made of LEGOs.

I mean just look at them:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attac...oys-gun-dog-rm-02-mp-hound-gundog_vswilly.jpg

Simply put, Gundog isn't elegantly designed.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I find FT's hound to be very.... plain for lack of a better term. And his tiny cartoon feet look odd to me. He's boring on every level, and that's coming from someone that buys most of FT's figures.

I like the big chunky toy feet MT used, but that's just me.

They're both worlds better than the TFC hound figure. That thing just makes me sad. It should have been put down before ever seeing release.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I find FT's hound to be very.... plain for lack of a better term. And his tiny cartoon feet look odd to me. He's boring on every level, and that's coming from someone that buys most of FT's figures.

I like the big chunky toy feet MT used, but that's just me.

I gotta agree with all of that. I too find FT's attempt kinda boring. It's the legs that give that impression, the thighs more so.

And yeah, MT's big beefy legs/feet look so good. I LOVE his thick thighs. I don't know, he just looks so, manly overall.

Though, like MR mentioned, his mirrors are kinda LEGO-y. Haha.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Debating if it would be a crime to give QB a light drybrushing and what color to use. Flat Aluminum? A lighter shade of metallic purple? So much detail to uncover, but I want him to retain his sinister appearance.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Tamiya does not make one, but Model Masters has a pearl purple.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Flat aluminum will not work, too sparkly. I tested the inside of his chest.

I'll have to hunt down the purple and test it out since it seems to be the shade I am looking for.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I don't think that pic is right. The ones shown at the tokyo toy show indicate that all that white on the kneepads will be body-colored. The purple is still there, but it's not quite as garish on a burgundy background. Of course, the white looks like it's on the box art, so hell if I know. Maybe the proto is wrong.

Not getting this either way. I'm not sure I like coneheads enough to pay $100 each, much less $200 for a shoddy "exclusive".

Attachments

• Tokyo Toy Show - MP-11NT Masterpiece Thrust First Look At Vehicle Mode And Preorder Info__scaled.jpg
    Tokyo Toy Show - MP-11NT Masterpiece Thrust First Look At Vehicle Mode And Preorder Info__scaled.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'll hope for a KO, but not a big loss if I never get one.

Did you guys notice they actually painted Inferno red? TT needs to find some consistency with their builds.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, and then gave him some accessories that make him even more bland and boring.

TT seems to be going for transforming PVC figure.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ironhide and Ratchet are both painted though right?

I dunno, I guess I don't get the hate for Inferno. I'd much rather have gotten Trailbreaker but Inferno's not a terrible choice or design. The legs are a little flat but I dig it.

I find it funny that Takara is including all the extras now. 3P has definitely spoiled us in that regard, and I'm glad to see Takara is including options now.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
My Ironhide is completely painted in car and bot mode (probably the best/most of any of my MPs) which is funny considering he is one solid color. Then TT releases Laserwave with almost no paint for almost double the price. :whatever:

Inferno actually has me intrigued since it looks so finished and the ladder transforming into the chest looks magical, but I never cared for the charater or the toy and Ironhide has filled my all red bot quota.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't hate Inferno. I'd guess most don't. But compared to MP's that came before the toonier restructuring, he's quite boring and doesn't blend in. He's different aesthetically.

You watch, all the figures that came before IH/Ratchet will get new toony designs. Hasbro/TT intentionally getting all the people that bought them before to buy them again.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got TW's Hook today. Pretty awesome figure. Too bad i don't like most of the others and/or they have too many quality/design issues.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I found the perfect color at Michael's today and performed the dry-brushing with ass cheeks clinched. It turned out really well since it's almost invisible and the Tamiya Clear cut the plastic shine. I couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, that looks good. Subtle.

Yeah, just enough to change the reflection of the corners and the semi-gloss clear lacquer cut the new car shine just enough to keep light from reflecting. My curio cabinet is lit from above on all 4 sides, so the unmolested paint would have produced a whiteout photo.

Here is what I used:

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Is that airbrush paint?

No, it's the crappy crafter's acrylic paint that costs a $1.50 for a huge bottle. Michael's only carry's Tester's enamel model paint and I refuse to it. The gamble paid off.

You have to get the Tamiya rattle cans from real hobby shops or online. It's the only spray I'll touch high end models with.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they carry both acrylic and enamels. They have a really nice selection too. Enamel, BTW, works quite well for drybrushing. Better than acrylic in my experience. It doesn't dry as quickly.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think that most here of us are so far down the MP/3PMP rabbit hole, no amount of paint can make a CW figure acceptable.

However, TF fandom is large and diverse enough to handle just about anything. I look over at the TF customs on radicons, and while I wouldn't want to own 99% of what I see, the skills that people display at making customs always astounds me. I have far more ideas than I have skill, and I'm always impressed by what members of this fandom (and this site too) are capable of putting together. No CW figures for me, but I'll be anxious to see your finished piece.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I started painting because of chugs back before the first Bay movie and forgot just how much fun it is taking garbage and making it look like it stepped out of the tv. All the molding detail makes good practice for washing, dry-brushing and detail painting. I could never get the hang of painting Joes and don't have the space (or supply) to paint 1:18 armor.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I couldn't resist buying the TW Constructicons. I don't know if I'll ever combine them, but for MP scale G1 likeness Constructicons, they work. Plus, I'm putting the UW heads on them. So even better.

Thus far I don't know why people are bitching, the plastic feels robust. But I don't play with my 100 dollar toys like I'm an 8 month old bashing them around, so there's that. And I tend to understand that the combined mode might have giant fucking hinges for the arms, but the hinges that connect them to the individual bots are not, and to not yank them around like a gorilla.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They are literally coming broken right out of the box. Its not even an issue of being gentle. I think Burden (Long Haul) is the biggest offender. Look at your back wheel attachment points. They are likely cracked.