Takara Transformers

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
If it were just a re-release or just new extras I'd skip it, but the remastering looks really good. The idea of seeing more detail than the theatrical release is kinda cool.

I remember seeing it in the theater, summer between 5th and 6th grade. So conflicted at gaining new cool characters while losing old ones that seemed like family. I didn't cry myself to sleep or anything, but I was quietly sad and confused for a day or two. I was the happiest kid alive when they finally brought Prime back.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Abso-fuckin-lutely. TT's Ironhide and Ratchet look like complete shit, IMO. Hip flaps, butt wheels, pot-belly, derpy face. TT seriously phoned it in on that mold, and I'm glad we have options. Hell, even the TFC versions, while less-G1 in appearance, are far better looking.

I'm not sure about the face on this voodoo ironhide. The original one didn't look great, then they showed a render of a much improved version, and the BBTS pics look nothing like either. Worse case, I'll use the TFC IH head on the voodoo body to make an ultimate version.

But no, there will be no TT vans. Even at cheaper prices, I couldn't look at them on my shelf without feeling profound disappointment and shame.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Holy duck lips. Fuck that thing. I prefer the official TT versions. While they could stand to use a bit more line work and detail, they're far from the featureless abominations most folks get worked up over. I do dislike the butt wheels not being able to be covered by the hip flaps (a few adjustments would've likely allowed that if planned properly) but overall the figures are some of my favorites. Not perfect, mind you, but closer to the mark than either of the 3P attempts.

XTB and FT are the only 2 companies I trust almost 100% to match Takara in styling in fitting in with official designs. Afraid this isn't one of them.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Funny how different all of our tastes are as I'm firmly a butt wheel guy. ;)

Thank goodness we are spoiled with companies willing to make different versions for every one.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Abso-fuckin-lutely. TT's Ironhide and Ratchet look like complete shit, IMO. Hip flaps, butt wheels, pot-belly, derpy face. TT seriously phoned it in on that mold, and I'm glad we have options. Hell, even the TFC versions, while less-G1 in appearance, are far better looking.

But no, there will be no TT vans. Even at cheaper prices, I couldn't look at them on my shelf without feeling profound disappointment and shame.

This! The diaper crotches are especially awful. No. Just no.

Having said that, I'm still not 100% behind Voo-Doo's versions either. While I find them VASTLY superior to TT's, things, I still find myself wanting. Not sure I want them as stand-ins or if I want to wait on what may never come. :grumpy:

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
which KO are we talking about? There seem to be so many seeker projects now I can't keep up.

BB7 Skywarp. BB7 Seekers seem to be utilizing the full MP-11 mold with some upgrades to ratchets, pegs, etc. The KBB one uses most of the MP-11, MP-03 hips, a remolded back panel, upgraded ratchets, etc.

I'm sticking with BB7 who is apparently doing the full run of Seekers, Rainmakers, Welcoming committee, and coneheads.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Shit, that's a lot of seekers. While I dedicate a sickening amount of money and space to my toy collection, I'm not sure I can go that far down the rabbit hole. Never been a S2 conehead fan... I might replace skywarp, and I'll be tempted by the Rainmakers just in case I ever do a Cybertron dio and don't want Shockwave to be lonely. But I'm not buying a dozen new seekers. Those days are over.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I wish my Takara MP-11 Starscream had the fixed hip lock of the US Hasbro release, but fuck buying anymore versions of the seekers. He's floppy as hell but I refuse to buy another Starscream and deal with selling off the old one.

I've got the Takara versions of the MP-11 S1 Seekers plus the Takara Ramjet, and I'm waiting on the final 2 before I jettison my iGear coneheads, but I'm fucking done with the bastards. 10 years and what seems like 22 coneheads is enough.

I finally sold off my remaining TRU Thundercracker and Takara MP-3 versions of SS, SW, and TC, and can't wait to clear out the iGear guys (and maybe get $$ for them). In fact, I just eBay'd the KO Ratbat and I'm going to sell off Soundblaster (complete). Just makes no sense in keeping the set and big box, and while I didn't pay for it (it was a birthday gift for me to get Ratbat, that my ex got me, hah) it's not worth keeping for a tiny cassette. I did a rough inventory of all my nerd shit the other day and got nauseous. It just takes up so much fucking space, especially storing the empty boxes. Time to clear out some shit.

Speaking of, does anyone here want the iGear Ratchet/Ironhide for customs? I just want rid of them. XOC, do you want those FP Insecticons? Same deal, I just want rid of them. (Basically I'm to the point of practically giving them away, if someone will just pay shipping plus a few bucks for the figures.)

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Shit, that's a lot of seekers. While I dedicate a sickening amount of money and space to my toy collection, I'm not sure I can go that far down the rabbit hole. Never been a S2 conehead fan... I might replace skywarp, and I'll be tempted by the Rainmakers just in case I ever do a Cybertron dio and don't want Shockwave to be lonely. But I'm not buying a dozen new seekers. Those days are over.

Well realistically I don't even have the money for that many. I'm committed to Skywarp and Thundercracker. Future ones beyond that depend on my getting a part time job, or the wife actually getting paid what she's worth at her company.

XOC, do you want those FP Insecticons? Same deal, I just want rid of them. (Basically I'm to the point of practically giving them away, if someone will just pay shipping plus a few bucks for the figures.)

Related to the above, my basement equipment is about to die and we already had to shell out 700 for a new sump pump. I wish I had the money for the insecticons, even a bit to spare. I bought the badcube bugs though, and am sticking to a Masterpiece scale collection, so even if I had it I'd have to pass.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Related to the above, my basement equipment is about to die and we already had to shell out 700 for a new sump pump. I wish I had the money for the insecticons, even a bit to spare. I bought the badcube bugs though, and am sticking to a Masterpiece scale collection, so even if I had it I'd have to pass.

Hah no worries. Life shit, being realistic, and not having last year's (or the previous several years') income at even 50% of the same influx, is part of the reason I'm evaluating keeping some things. Plus, well, 10 years of this shit piling up and it's gotta go somewhere.

I could be tempted by Insecticons. Let me look into them.

Cool, just let me know. They're not bad, but not in the MP style and they're small. They're complete with boxes (although one was fucked up by BBTS when it got to me, being smashed a bit), I don't even think I ever transformed them.

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
I bought two of them for $30 and later sold them for $100 each a couple years later. He was a junker.

Now the big question: is the new ko good enough to justify replacing iGear skywarp?
but he was exactly the same as WM Starscream repainted

yes it is good enough to replace iGear

I wish my Takara MP-11 Starscream had the fixed hip lock of the US Hasbro release, but fuck buying anymore versions of the seekers. He's floppy as hell but I refuse to buy another Starscream and deal with selling off the old one.

so that is my TRU Thundercracker's problem! I can't wait until BB7 TT

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
but he was exactly the same as WM Starscream repainted

Negative Ghostrider. SS was not painted and he had a solid plastic. SS was painted and the gloss was applied so thick, his panels would not fit and there were drip marks. Plus his plastic was cheaper. You know how bad something has to be to get me to return a $30 version of my very favorite MP mold at the time? Maybe I'd have loved him if I didn't already have the TT version of SS and SW plus the WM version of SS.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It just takes up so much fucking space, especially storing the empty boxes...

Ugh, I know. Not only empty figure boxes, but empty brown shipping boxes, "just in case!". :headinsand:

And speaking of taking up space...

...I have so little of it and I make this?! I literally have no where to put it once finished.

Attachments

• IMG_9975ps5.JPG
    IMG_9975ps5.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 50

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I dare you to make him out of Bruder vehicles!

Aside from the dump truck (Bruder doesn't make that style), they are Bruder. I picked up a Bruder bulldozer back in 2009 and have been planning this ever since. A good dump truck was the hold up.

what the hell does one use for joints on such a beast?

Maple 3x3. Nice, dense hardwood. Crotch flaps, forearms, hands, thigh covers and chest shield are all EVA foam to keep weight down.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Well, I see they have all the same uneveness of the molds in the flat surfaces. Can you take a pic without the flash so I can get a feeling for the finish and the plastic? The flash makes them (and most toys) look like a Big Lots KO.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
God, that MP-03 mold was so bad. I'd decided to keep the iGear coneheads because the proportions were improved with them, but I think I'll finally be glad to get rid of that mold altogether once the rest of the Takara ones are released.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I might have to get that Skywarp, but MP3 will forever be my TC. Otherwise he fits nowhere and will always be my favorite due to the realistic colors and printing. No way I can get rid of him being a military aviation fan.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Igears SS is the only seeker I have. Maybe it's just the constant seeker bombardment, but I've not had the desire to pick up the other original two.