Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
and damn that turned out nice!!
Dont forget the site needs review material.. hehe
Awesome job!

Sheesh, just peeked in the door and can't believe what I saw. That's awesome Rex!

I wonder how well walls like that would ship.....

Haha, "hint-hint". Thanks guys. By the way, thanks for all the kind words fellas. I get caught up in this in nerd mode and sometimes forget to say thanks. Geez, nerdiness to the max. I stopped by Michael's tonight to pick up some basic stuff, like greens for foliage and I got a cool sheet of "astroturf" looking grass. No idea what I plan on doing with it, but something.

The bitch at the register goes "Building a fort, are we?"

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So like I said in the previous post, I stopped by Michael's tonight, and lost a good deal of time due to that plus grabbing dinner. I wanted to get the styrene bits done and painted, and do 2 more brick sections, but I barely got the doors and windows carved and assembled by 2am. Sheesh.

Here's a quick pic showing the all-white, pre-painted doors, windows, vents, grills and manhole covers. They turned out pretty good, but 1/16" styrene is a bitch to cut with an X-Acto with any sort of speed and accuracy. If you can find thinner, I'd suggest that. I don't even know what I'm going to do with the 1/8" sheet that I bought, I'll have to use a saw to cut that nonsense.

I tossed on some greenery just to get a sense of how it could look, but it's not final, or really carefully placed. I want to spend a little more thought on placement and maybe painting some faint green mossy/moldy areas in the brick mortar and cracks first before gluing anything down. But it really adds a level of detail that I was missing. I've become semi-obsessed with checking out details in sidewalks and buildings the last few days, and actually I've been taking detours to cut through alleyways to get some inspiration. Wow, what a dork. Anyways, there is a LOT of overgrowth in alleyways that I never noticed. Also, cracks galore.

Anyways, here's the pics:

Time to paint the doors and get me a few more brick walls so I can set this sucker up and take some proper photos.

(Also, to add: drainage pipes, clear coat, signage, maybe a little graffiti?)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
...but 1/16" styrene is a bitch to cut with an X-Acto with any sort of speed and accuracy. If you can find thinner, I'd suggest that. I don't even know what I'm going to do with the 1/8" sheet that I bought, I'll have to use a saw to cut that nonsense.

at least with the styrene i have, if you score it, it'll snap along the line, even in a curve...i'd also recommend a straigh razor or box cutter...easier to put pressure on...

it all looks really good though...judging by the windo coverings, i'd say this was a bad neighborhood? :D

I've become semi-obsessed with checking out details in sidewalks and buildings the last few days, and actually I've been taking detours to cut through alleyways to get some inspiration.

lol...i've been there...whenever i get into something, i get like, really focused on it...and suddenly everything has potential to "work"...when i was going crazy with BAT attachments, everything i saw had me wondering...and here, at work, in a parts warehouse, oh boy...i always find myself wondering if something could work as something else in 1:18th...yup, i'm a dork too...

(Also, to add: drainage pipes, clear coat, signage, maybe a little graffiti?)

all those things sound good...BTW, that link, OMG!!!...that man must have erectile disfunction

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
at least with the styrene i have, if you score it, it'll snap along the line, even in a curve...i'd also recommend a straigh razor or box cutter...easier to put pressure on...

it all looks really good though...judging by the windo coverings, i'd say this was a bad neighborhood? :D

Yeah, I'm actually using a boxcutter for the heavy lines. The blade lasts WAY longer.

This does the same thing, I have to score it at least 8 times to get it to snap remotely clean. The problem lies when I want a solid frame with the knocked-out inside... Sort of hard to score and snap without the styrene snapping the entire thing. Really, it was just the grates, windows and that damn vent that I needed a solid frame. I guess you could cut and reassemble them, but I made them solid with the core punched out. THAT is what took so damn long.

But you're right, if it's just squares or even curves, you can score and snap it pretty clean. For the manhole covers, I just cut them with sturdy scissors.

lol...i've been there...whenever i get into something, i get like, really focused on it...and suddenly everything has potential to "work"...when i was going crazy with BAT attachments, everything i saw had me wondering...and here, at work, in a parts warehouse, oh boy...i always find myself wondering if something could work as something else in 1:18th...yup, i'm a dork too...
Oh yeah, I totally am hoarding dumb shit and looking at things going "What can I make out of that into 1:18?" How sad am I? I plan on making my toothpaste tube into a toilet. The cap is perfect for the lower half. So I know exactly what you mean.
all those things sound good...BTW, that link, OMG!!!...that man must have erectile disfunction

Which link? I added a few more, they're awesome, huh?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
oh sorry, i didn't know you posted them in this thread...i was talking about the Gargage one you visitor messaged me...freaking amazing...i mean, all the plumbing?!

score an X thru cutouts...that usually helps

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Shit's about to go down:

More pics on page 1. I had to add the last 10 pics to my post after Blue and Eddie's posts.

I'm more or less done, but still plan on making lights for the doors, adding signage, pipes, some street trash, and I'm doing 2 more wall sections.

I'm thinking of doing a separate tutorial on doing the "detail" stuff like pipes, etc. Windows don't have glass in them yet, but the grills are removable, so I'll add windows with some broken panes. I think that would be a better place to show things like that. What do you guys think?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i kinda have a boner right now...OMG that is some sick work Matt!...that looks so awesomely good...you weren't kidding when you said you were studying the details of the world cause that greenage is so freak'n killer...i don't know why, maybe because they look so cool, but the round manhole covers are my favorite thing, lol...

how'd you bend your styrene for the door handle?...did you heat it or does yours just bend well?...mine would snap if i did that...

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Haha, thanks man. You sure that boner's not for another reason?

I like the level of detail, but I feel like it may be too much. I also like the cleaner version prior to it. But I guess for a "how to", it shows every step up to the weathering to give you a good solid "base" to add other details too. I won't be doing all my dio streets so weathered.

I cheated on the door handles. One is a handle from one of those PTE SWAT riot shields. The other is a bunch of these little plastic rings I got from a craft store. They were in the needlepoint section, so I have no idea what they are used for. I just cut one ring in half, and voila, instant curved handle.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i can see the over detailed point, but the thing is, you could actually find something to this level of degredation...

i like all your other ideas...the lights sound really cool...i have a sheet of extra dry rub white lettering if you'd like it for signs...

but yeah, a new tut for the detail stuff like lights, pipes, glass etc would be nice...especially since yer out of room at the beggining of this thread

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You know, you're actually right about some alleys being that nasty. I really did push it, but I'm glad I did. Now I will know how to gauge the amount of "moss 'n mold" next time. Alleyways are pretty nasty though, and even in SF (which is a generally cleanish city) from one block to the next it can go from pristine to almost forgotten.

Plus I can always repaint it. The painting is the easy part.

Yeah, the front is full, and the tutorial was really about the foam into walls. The hardware and fittings are just the finishing touches.

A question for everyone: is the tutorial helpful? Confusing? Too wordy? Not detailed enough?

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You know, you're actually right about some alleys being that nasty. I really did push it, but I'm glad I did. Now I will know how to gauge the amount of "moss 'n mold" next time. Alleyways are pretty nasty though, and even in SF (which is a generally cleanish city) from one block to the next it can go from pristine to almost forgotten.

A question for everyone: is the tutorial helpful? Confusing? Too wordy? Not detailed enough?

its funny...around here, its just not humid enough to see much moss/mold outside of wooded areas, so i'm not used to seeing it on buildings, but dang it if it doesnt look awesome...

as for the tut, for me, it was just right...maybe not as detailed as it coulda been, but if your a customiser, at the point of trying to make buildings, there are some basics that should already be known and don't need to be detailed...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
What a contribution!!!

Great stuff can't wait to try. I can do a friggen city block to on my dio table.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
What a contribution!!!

Great stuff can't wait to try. I can do a friggen city block to on my dio table.

That's awesome man, wish I had the room. Post pics!

You even found away to do Manhole covers!!! Awesome!!!

Thanks to both of you, that means a lot. Both of you did a bunch of work that inspired me to get off my ass and do this. Hopefully my stuff will inspire others too, it's not as hard as it looks, and the foam is a great medium and very forgiving to work with!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i finally finished my HI55 tank custom and the wife is so happy that the mess is cleaned up...just she wait till i start on this :D

you see Hasbros dio from the con MR?...you need to get some ideas from there...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Post pics man, I don't mind. Part of the "teaching" angle is how well the "follower" can interpret your direction or example. I may have left off a lot of info, that I could correct. I'm also long-winded and kind of suck at explaining stuff.

It is tedious, but worth the effort in the long run.

ONE thing that I'm going to add in my next tutorial or maybe even show here when I try it, is a cheat on texturing the brick. Instead of jabbing all the tiny dots individually, I read that you can roll up a ball of aluminum foil so that it's jagged and rough, and then just roll that over the foam. It should give a rough texture like concrete or brick depending on the pressure used.

Firefly76

For the Emperor!
Mar 27, 2011
Black Mountain N.C.
Post pics man, I don't mind. Part of the "teaching" angle is how well the "follower" can interpret your direction or example. I may have left off a lot of info, that I could correct. I'm also long-winded and kind of suck at explaining stuff.

It is tedious, but worth the effort in the long run.

ONE thing that I'm going to add in my next tutorial or maybe even show here when I try it, is a cheat on texturing the brick. Instead of jabbing all the tiny dots individually, I read that you can roll up a ball of aluminum foil so that it's jagged and rough, and then just roll that over the foam. It should give a rough texture like concrete or brick depending on the pressure used.

I'll Post some. I have a section of wall that's supposed to be concrete too. I am going to try the foil thing

Firefly76

For the Emperor!
Mar 27, 2011
Black Mountain N.C.
Here are some pics of my walls. I am using Mandingo Rex's tutuorial. I also just used a trick he mentioned about using a rolled up ball of foil for texture. I have posted those results as well. I think it works great.

Attachments

• Foam walls 001.jpg
    Foam walls 001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Foam walls 002.jpg
    Foam walls 002.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 26
  • Foam walls 003.jpg
    Foam walls 003.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Foam walls 004.jpg
    Foam walls 004.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Foam walls 005.jpg
    Foam walls 005.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Foam walls 006.jpg
    Foam walls 006.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 27

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Looking good! I need to do some more wall sections this weekend, but I'm beat. My girl is out of town though, so it'd be a good time to make a mess while she's gone...

Once paint goes on, even just that first layer... Things will really come together. That's the point that I knew it was going to turn out pretty decent.

Big Jim

Thread Derailer
Mar 15, 2011
Occupied PRK
Damn you guys, I was just fine having my stuff sit on my shelf in battle and now I went and ordered a tech deck rincon set and am envisioning an Arbco wherehouse being overrun by zombies for a dio

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
looks good FF...looks like the foil trick worked out well...did you use a pen to draw your brick lines?

Looking good! I need to do some more wall sections this weekend, but I'm beat. My girl is out of town though, so it'd be a good time to make a mess while she's gone...

stop being a lazy pussy and get some work done before she comes back and ruins it for you...

also, you gonna post up the Wet-Suit mini review?