JoeCon 2011 Claymore Review

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
In the 80s, before repaints and kitbashes were really all the rage in Pawtucket's boardroom, Hasbro would sometimes toss together a few parts and make a Frankenjoe that was a new character. Sure, this was done early on with the Original 13, but once the non-greenshirt Joes starting flowing forth, we didn't get too many Frankenjoes until many years later. Similar to Steel Brigade and Starduster, Claymore was one of the few guys that stood out on his own as an individual design, when really all he really was, well, was a kitbash.

Wearing a full yellow and orange jumpsuit that looked essentially like giraffe camo with a green vest on top, Claymore really stood out. Literally. While most of the other straight repaints in the Special Mission: Brazil set were flashy, Claymore was the only "new" guy in the TRU exclusive set, and he definitely had his own style that made him stand out. Made from various figure parts cobbled together (a kitbash or Frankenjoe if you will), the defining sculpt features were the reused Footloose head and helmet with the Tele-Viper vest.

Personally as a kid, I don't remember Claymore or the SM:B set at all, and I was not too impressed when I first saw Claymore over at the YoJoe archives. But over the years he grew on me, and I was excited to hear that he was coming out in the JoeCon set. While I was slightly puzzled that we're getting Claymore before we've even heard mention of a Footloose (more on that in a bit), the new head sculpt and helmet made me really happy.

So he looks like Tom Selleck. Or Burt Reynolds. People can't agree, butt I personally think it's Thomas Magnum all the way. The GI Joe Collectors Club really did outdo themselves this year with their set, and while I only got 2 Joes from the set (Claymore and Wet-Suit) I was very impressed with the others. What impressed me the most was the newly-sculpted heads on Dial-Tone and Claymore. Since DT got a dual use out of his sculpt (with the single release and the SM:B2 repaint) I imagine that we'll see this tooling again for Footloose. But Hasbro may be doing their own thing with FL, so who knows. Take a look at the new noggin below, it's a pretty great sculpt with a lot of character. He has a slight grimace, and looks like he means business.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Claymore has a new head and helmet, but the rest are reused verbatim from the 25th Outback. Pictured below, you can see a comparison of the two. While many folks were upset that they didn't reuse the Tele-Viper vest (and the mold was technically available for use by the Club since the Python Patrol Tele-Viper was used in the SM:B2 set) I was happy. the T-V vest is ill-fitting, and one of the worst figures from the 25th line. The Outback personally just looks better. Also, gone is the zany giraffe top, although the pants retain that wacky camo. For me, I think that if they'd gone with a different camo for the pants, he wouldn't have seemed so much like Claymore, so I'm glad that they kept the pants, but gave him a black t-shirt instead (omitting the matching shirt altogether). It tones down the design while retaining enough vintage charm and feeling of this character being Claymore.

The painting is crisp on this guy, and the head looks pretty good, although range of motion isn't that great in the head, and the head/helmet seem a tad large. Overall, Claymore is a tad short and stocky, which makes him look a little funny, but does give some variety in height amongst the Joe 25th figures.

For gear, Claymore has a removable flashlight (the same as Outback, which is a retool of the Cobra Trooper legs with new lower legs and the flashlight assembly), backpack and 2 guns. The 25th-style stand says "Captain Claymore", probably due to trademark issues, and he comes with a file card cut as well.

I can't say that this figure is a total win, as his proportions are a tad odd, but I do like him a lot. Since I didn't get the full JoeCon set, I opted for eBay, which makes this my second most expensive 25th "new" Joe to date. At a whopping $65 shipped, which was my "top limit" range to pay, I finally pulled the trigger and Claymore was mine. He's not shown up too frequently on eBay yet, so I assume that most people that got him are keeping him. I don't blame them, for the price that they paid for the full set, he's a really cool figure to have, despite some flaws. I can't imagine buying the full set and selling off this guy before others.

Now, as for Footloose... I did a quick parts swap with the JoeCon Wet-Suit, just to show a simple kitbash of how FL could look. Barring the fact that Wet-Suit has long sleeves and not short sleeves, most all the other parts are there to make a Footloose if you add Falcon's webgear (or similar) and Claymore's head and helmet. Check him out below, and also with my custom Footloose. Part of me hopes that we don't see the head reused, as I'd like Footloose (when/if we ever get him) to have a unique sculpt, but I just know Hasbro loves the repaints, and I can easily see this head reused again due to the vintage repaint.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
AESTHETICS:

7 out of 10

The new head and helmet paired with the black t-shirt (proudly sporting the Special Forces crest in a crisp tampographed logo) and the vest (which I've liked the sculpt since I got Outback) more than balance out the gaudy pants deco and slightly awkward shortness. I think more people would have been happy to see the vintage shirt, but I personally think their edit was a great choice, and the t-shirt graphic makes him that much more badass in my eyes. I also like the Flint style arms, and don't dislike the Trooper legs like a lot of people do, so parts use was decent enough. My biggest issue is that the helmet feels a tad big (as does his head) or his body is too short and stocky... It's one or the other, or perhaps a slight mix of both. It still looks like Claymore, but is a great 2011 update, and I like him. :)

ARTICULATION:

6 out of 10

The head moves fine left and right, but there's not a ton of up and down movement. The legs and arms are what you'd expect if you have Outback, but due to the vest and slightly large helmet, the head movement really bothered me, and for some reason he seems a bit more cumbersome than Outback, although it's the exact same mold.

ACCESSORIES:

6 out of 10

The accessories are adequate, but nothing amazing. the best thing is the helmet, but neither the guns nor the backpack or flashlight excite me much. They are what they are, but not as cool or unique as the gear that came with Wet-Suit or the iconic Dial-Tone backpack, etc. It's not bad, mind you... Just generic gear. I personally hate the rifle that came with Sergeant Slaughter, Tunnel Rat and the Range Vipers, and we get it yet again with this figure. I would have much preferred a sidearm or another smaller machine gun.

PAINT:

10 out of 10

Just like the Wet-Suit, I was highly impressed with the paint on mine. The tampo'd artwork on the chest is sharp and very legible, and the camo is cleanly painted with no crazy overspray, runs, or wonky eyes that have plagued some main-line Hasbro releases.

FINAL VERDICT:

7 out of 10

Claymore is probably not worth $65 unless you're an obsessive idiot like me who really wanted to have him. It's also kind of badass that he looks like Magnum: P.I., and I actually liked the figure from the first time he was shown. I really like the new update that they did to him. Since the SDCC TTT Sgt. Slaughter is the only modern figure I've paid more for than Claymore, I would say that Sarge is a "must-have", but not everyone is going to want Claymore. Plus, Sarge was all new tooling, while Claymore just sports a new head and helmet.

Do I recommend him? Well, yeah, I really like him. I think his new head and helmet make me like him just a tad more than Wet-Suit, but both are my top picks from the JoeCon set (which is why I only bought these two, by the way, as the rest of the set didn't seem worth it). I doubt we'll see Hasbro release any other version of Claymore, so this is probably your best bet to get him. His uses are probably a bit more limited than Wet-Suit, but the fact that this is a totally new character makes me urge you to get him if you can find him... Just don't pay too much for him unless he's a must-have for your collection.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
oh no, Capstick thing all over again :D

really nice review MR...the added FL kitbash was cool to see too...

and thats totally Tom Seleck...maybe a pic of that head on Chuckels?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Personally i think the head looks more like John Russell in Lawman.

I see this as further proof that ARAH designs should be relegated to the past. Helmet good, vest, good, shirt, good, O HEY THER! Clashing Trousers, boots, ok.

Not sure what it is about the Starduster/Cobra Flint/ Tunnel Rat arms, though it could be the useless hands.

Would i buy him on the peg? Yeah, granted i also had a replacement hand/forearm set up in place, or the option to buy multiple Con Wetsuit also on the peg to do head swaps.

Definitely not a figure i'd pay a premium on.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

really nice review MR...the added FL kitbash was cool to see too...

and thats totally Tom Seleck...maybe a pic of that head on Chuckels?

Capstick?

Thanks man, I tried to put everything in that folks would want to see (so I put in everything I'd want to see, haha... So yeah, I'll do a shot on Chuckles' body tonight or tomorrow and add it for folks... I forgot that one). I need to scan the file cards in for folks to see, too (for both Wet-Suit and Claymore) because taking a pic just results in bad glare and perspective/warping.

For file card collectors, of note is that the card stock that the file cards are printed on is much flimsier and feels cheaper, and the quality of the "thumbnail" image is very bad. It's very pixelated, and the file card (and the fact that they don't come carded) are the only tell-tale signs that these aren't "full-fledged" Hasbro offerings. The figures themselves are above par, so that more than makes up for the silly card. Just wanted to mention that. I'll add that back in the review once I get scans to show what I mean. (Although filecard copy is copyrighted, so hopefully there's no issue there.)

Personally i think the head looks more like John Russell in Lawman.

I see this as further proof that ARAH designs should be relegated to the past. Helmet good, vest, good, shirt, good, O HEY THER! Clashing Trousers, boots, ok.

Not sure what it is about the Starduster/Cobra Flint/ Tunnel Rat arms, though it could be the useless hands.

Would i buy him on the peg? Yeah, granted i also had a replacement hand/forearm set up in place, or the option to buy multiple Con Wetsuit also on the peg to do head swaps.

Definitely not a figure i'd pay a premium on.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. Definitely not worth the premium unless you really want him, but I think that it's a perfect outlet for a character like Claymore. It's not like every kid had him to begin with due to the original exclusive nature of the SM:B set, plus he wasn't in much media (if any? Fogger, was he in any of the later comics?) so I doubt many folks knew who he was from their childhood. I personally don't remember him at all. But for a sort of novelty character, as an exclusive is a pretty good way to get him I guess. I would much rather exclusives be more obscure characters like Claymore than more popular guys like Dial-Tone or Leatherneck, and even great "troop-builders" like Wet-Suit.

And I've liked the Flint style arms enough for posing, although it's funny that everyone has that exact same level of ripped "Popeye" forearms on the team. To me, that's the more ridiculous aspect of them.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, i could trim the biceps and make the arms work, so they're not what it is.

It is those poncy hands. Though, if you could get them to cross over enough you could do a pretty good pistol/flashlight pose with that sissy right hand. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Definitely not worth the premium unless you really want him, but I think that it's a perfect outlet for a character like Claymore. I would much rather exclusives be more obscure characters like Claymore than more popular guys like Dial-Tone or Leatherneck, and even great "troop-builders" like Wet-Suit..

exactly...we've made that point many times....just wish it would sink in with Hasbro so that we don't have to go insane trying to get popular figures like Zarana, Sarge, D-T and whatever other popular figs they decide to bone us on...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm telling you, they should release these guys with a Duke head on the figure and the proper head down in the bubble.

Walmart get's it's prerequisite Duke, fans get figure X-Y-Z.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
agreed K-T...just make EVERY figure Duke on the card, and the right name on the stand...though, MOC and file card fanatics would loose their sh!t in that scenario

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
agreed K-T...just make EVERY figure Duke on the card, and the right name on the stand...though, MOC and file card fanatics would loose their sh!t in that scenario

Well, it'll teach MOCers the inferiority of their ways. ;) You got to pick your battles.

Do you want Footloose with a Duke head on it in the card, or do you want to do without?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Note for future reference: Eddie likes his men muscular and strong, not weak and limp-wristed.

oh c'mon now...who wouldnt want that?...i mean, ya know...anyone choosing the contray is having it by defalt...

like a fat ugly lady who doesnt have a man and says she chooses not to because shes a lesbian...

NO, you have no man because your fat and ugly and have no choice BUT to be a lesbian...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
While many folks were upset that they didn't reuse the Tele-Viper vest (and the mold was technically available for use by the Club since the Python Patrol Tele-Viper was used in the SM:B2 set) I was happy. the T-V vest is ill-fitting, and one of the worst figures from the 25th line.

true, but if you don't plan to ever remove the vest from the TV, its really easy to make the vest lay flatter....just dremel out a divet behind the clasp....or cut the bulk off the clasp in the back and glue the ends together...

also, the new wall section looks so freaking real you forget its a fake backdrop

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
true, but if you don't plan to ever remove the vest from the TV, its really easy to make the vest lay flatter....just dremel out a divet behind the clasp....or cut the bulk off the clasp in the back and glue the ends together...

also, the new wall section looks so freaking real you forget its a fake backdrop

I may do that to my non-exclusive TVs. I've already chopped them up and customized them beyond reselling them anyways, to make them more vintage-accurate. Still, they're a really bad figure. Most of the Cobra troop-builders are decent, but that one is perhaps the worst (barring ROC turtle-vipers, that is).

Thanks on the walls. Blood was asking about the review, and I caved and went ahead and did it early. The stupid white baseboard bugs me, though. You can see it through the floor window/vent. I didn't have time to finish that part and put it in, but I wanted to use a different backdrop than last time, so I just shot it as-is.

I have a jungle one in the works, which would have been perfect for Claymore, but it won't be done till the weekend or later. Expect to see Wet-Suit and Claymore pop up in some jungle dios before long. :)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
can't wait to see what you did with a dio piece for a jungle...ruins?

and what do you hate about the TV so much...hes one of my fave figs, after the fix up...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
can't wait to see what you did with a dio piece for a jungle...ruins?

and what do you hate about the TV so much...hes one of my fave figs, after the fix up...

Yeah, jungle ruins. :) It's a corner of a dilapidated stonework building, with a rock floor and... should be interesting.

The Tele-Viper head is decent enough but it's barren of any detail paint (tan teeth? really, Hasbro?), and the vest is okay, but it fits weird and seems to be small. Like it shrank in the wash. For the figure, the lower arms and legs just suck. When I have to replace 30% of a figure to make him look decent and paint basic details, that makes the figure bad.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
okay, i'll give you that....fresh from the factory, yeah, the TV sucks balls...but like i said, after a fix up, i love him

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

Copyrights/trademarks was only ever Zedhatch and Warzone, thanks very much. :)

Sorry, I work in advertising so it's all about copyrights left and right. So I tend to say it out of habit. And pointing out little things like that is a pet peeve of mine so I'm gonna leave it in to be a dick. :)

S'ok, I work in trademarks and patents. Leave it in, ya bastich! :D

(if any? Fogger, was he in any of the later comics?)

Not in any of the ones I read.

Oliverbox

I Ride with CLAYMORE!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Alexandria, VA
I got mine in recently. Claymore was always one of my favorites, so this set was the first full Con set I've ever ordered.

The head: Tom Selleck. No question. The hair is not as curly, but from the eyebrows down, it's all Magnum. No question.

I'm not crazy about the pants, but the t-shirt is awesome. I'll probably do a few customs to give him some different uniforms for differnt environments. Again, he's not perfect, but the head is SO good (I'm a HUGE Magnum, P.I. fan) that I'm just glad to add an "official" Claymore to my 25th Joes.

Starfighter

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Great review. I will soon have my set sent to me. I only have the 4 attendee exclusive Python figs at the moment. I can't wait.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The skin tone on this guy looks pretty good. I broke down and found a painful but tolerable deal on a carded dialtone, and when he arrived, he looked like he was either badly sunburned or secretly 1st cousins with Spirit. He's a dark reddish brown. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed in ole' pedo-tone.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That sucks. I read that elsewhere. I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Brazil version, so I can put the head on my custom DT and call it a day. I really dislike the color of flesh tone that the Club has used previously, and it sounds like the single-carded/loose DT has the same problem.

Of course, I have yet to see one in-person, so I have no idea how bad he is, but I've heard the same issue from several people.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Well, in a sense I guess I'm slightly relieved that it's a common issue and I didn't get THE gimpy one. I'll be curious if the loose ones have that problem. When does the club start shipping those? I struggle every year with the club figure, as it's always lost in the mail or they send me the 12" figure. Every year it's something.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Eddie, the last I saw, $65 for the SM:B2 DT. Originally, he was in the $30 range, and I wish I had gotten one then. I think more and more people are catching on that the single-carded one's not that great loose.

Nacho, I'm assuming the loose figures are the exact same as the carded ones.

As happy as I am with the Con figures that I got, the Club really needs to get their shit in order next year. I can't believe that they handled things like they did with the Club exclusive this year. I realize it's a non-issue and a "white whine" but the membership figs should have shipped and arrived by now, considering all the nonsense with the carded figure pricing and drama over that at the Convention. This is the first year I signed up, and could be the last. I've been very unhappy with the handling of it all.

Call me an armchair quarterback, but I've been amazed at how awful the entire thing was handled this year with the membership figure. They've been doing this shit for years. It's their thing, and they can't manage it better than that?