ثعبان - Type-98 Prototype

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
عبان is Arabic for 'snake' and will be incorporated into my 9th Special Forces Group (Airborne) stories and customs as an al-Qaeda aligned group operating in Afghanistan in 2001/2002 and across the world...

Excerpt from AFGHAN-SITREP:
SNAKE/Type-98-Prototype
DATE REQUESTED: 22 JAN 2002
Covert Operator Codename: Chuckles

"... The Commander loved his tank. It was probably his most treasured possession in the province. He had money, wives, even young boys at his beck and call, for he was a man of influence in the Shah-i-kot Valley. Above all else though, he cherished the tank. It was a relatively new Chinese prototype for their 'Type-98' series of tanks, and was given to him from a Pakistani weapons broker in exchange for his sisters hand in marriage. He never heard from, or saw her again, but I don't recall him ever musing on if it had been a bad deal.

When it arrived a couple years back, the Commander was as excited as a school child, climbing all over the tank before they had even unloaded it from the Pakistani Air Force's C-130. His elation quickly turned to angst though, when he realized none of his men had any training in actually DRIVING a tank. He started going on and on, and I quietly informed him that the Soviets had trained me to operate some of their armored vehicles during the occupation and that'd I'd give it a try. That certainly brightened his mood.

The Chinese had removed most of their new tech gear, but it was still a fully functional tank, easily surpassing the old Soviet T-55's that still lumbered across the country in service of the Taliban. The Commander had us drive all over the countryside, shooting at whatever he felt like. I think he enjoyed the cramped Chinese cabin, as it probably made him less aware of his own height shortcomings.

The Commander used his tank almost every day, even for trips to the local bazaar, that was until the US started their air campaign. No armored vehicle would survive long out in the open, so he generally left it parked in the entrance to his cave compound..."

This is a PTE Chinese Type-98 tank that I've customized to somewhat approximate what it would look like in-use by the terrorists in Afghanistan 2002.

I still have a few tweaks to do most likely, but this was a fun 1-day project to see if anything could be done with the terrible original paint scheme :)

It's hard to find concrete stats on the Type-98, as it never made it to full production (They went with the Type-99 instead), but it seems to be maybe 1/19th or 1/20th scale instead of 1/18th.

This is how it started:

Thanks for reading, and be sure to let me know any criticisms or complaints! It's how I improve!!

Attachments

• SNAKE-Type98-01.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-01.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 14
  • SNAKE-Type98-02.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-02.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19
  • SNAKE-Type98-03.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-03.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SNAKE-Type98-04.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-04.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 14
  • SNAKE-Type98-05.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-05.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 12
  • SNAKE-Type98-06.jpg
    SNAKE-Type98-06.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 18

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That turned out sick! Too bad the factory paint sucks ass on it.

Painting vehicles is the last thing I need to get into. I'm already in deep shit as it is since all our closet space has been filled up with boxes-o-plastic, and the guest bedroom has a few boxes in it. I'm 2 boxes away from being turned in to that Hoarders show...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I know the feeling.. thats why I've made it a point to go through stuff I ALREADY have, and not buying new stuff.. this damn tank sat in its box since last September or something! Finally did something with it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Now you're just talking crazy. I've had MP Rodimus for over 2 months now, and still haven't transformed him.

I've got a Stinger from Ross that I got over the summer (2010) that I've not bothered to open. What an ass, I am.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Razor sharp custom, NSA, and I understand the pain that you and Rex have with regard to buying too much stuff!!!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks Great NSA. For someone who says he can't paint camo you sure have every other aspect of painting down.

Your details are excellent. I like the RPG's being wrapped up like that. Research matters.

Mandingo, I'll still take the PTE paint job over Joe's dyed solid color glossy finishes any day.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Looks good, but don't think for a second that you are done with it. ;)

As you learn different steps of weathering, you'll keep returning to the older stuff to add more details, apply new techniques and that is what makes it fun.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
its the speed at which you pop these out that amazes me...you must have a lot of time to work on stuff...just another bonus of not having a time sapping woman...

came out awesomely BTW...only thing i would add is some fuel lines from the tanks...i've seen them on other customs and it looks really good

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
When I get a second one :)

And yeah I wanted to add hoses but don't have any in my fodder bin.

I need to do some more weathering, and need a bigger black backdrop too!

Like I said, it was a fun quick project, there is a surprising lack of detail, and the side stowage things are too small for almost anything.. But we make do!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
yeah i too found that almost nothing fits in the side bins...you could just hang packs off them when you get some...throw some chain/rope/barbbed wire in there...

BTW, i like the little tank bio...the "little boys" part for the Commander being the best :D

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Fat Fingers Rex said:
I hadn't really paid attention to the non-Joe 1:18 vehicles prior to joining this site, but that Abrams was pretty slick. Way bigger than I had ever realized it was in passing.

its too big for your 1982 hands huh? :D

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I liked the story. Would the Taliban have tanks though? Don't they just have pick up trucks with a mounted gun? I did like the extras you put on it and the wrap around the RPG's was a real nice touch. I still am in awe you do these all by hand. That is some patience right there.

The tank looks great. Just some quick notes:

Paint the outside of the road wheels black. Paint the commander's AA gun a "gun" color. Paint the mesh inside the engine area a blackish color. Get the smoke launcher covers a green color. Paint the headlights and the tail lights the right colors. This will break up the desert tan, and get those elements the appropriate colors.

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
South of Atlanta---North of Macon
Hey brother!!! You did a KICK-ASS job on this tank!!! I always thought that it would look so much better with a more realistic paint job!!! I think tha WT is right and some chip and scratchs would look good to!!!;) I cant wait to see it when its done---keep up the good work brothers!!!---RED---

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Thanks Paul n Red... yeah I wanted to do more with the commanders view ports etc.. It's hard finding decent pictures of the Type-98 to base things off of. Where do the Aux. fuel tanks connect to?

I still have yet to drybrush it, and I really want to get a bigger black backdrop (not a fan of the white anymore). It's all stuff to muse on for the future.. for now it actually FITS in with the rest of my stuff.. finally. Now I have to attack that little Chinese FAV I took apart...

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Pretty damn nice. And I honestly don't care that about it being a Chinese tank instead of rat shit 50s soviet tank. We're not exactly swimming with options when it comes to Eastern Armored vehicles, so one has to make do with what we can and make it work.

My hat is off to you good sir.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here's what you do with the side racks: Stop using them as such and sculpt some ERA blocks there. They really don't pack anything up there, the narrowness is not a toy design oversight.

The aux drum lines run somewhere over to the starboard side of the tank, i want to say. I used to have a pic on the old board

Also, toss that cupola gun and replace it with the one from the BJ2020. Or maybe combine them.

Lots o' pics

http://otvaga2004.narod.ru/otvaga2004/china-tanks/0tank_t98.htm

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Thanks.. I'll take a look when I get home, I hate the little gun.. on this and the FAV, one thing PTE sucks at! I wish I had something else to put there.

In "my world" as the little accompanying story depicts.. the tank is in the hands of Islamic terrorists, so I imagine they have not been doing the correct upkeep/upgrades, and they see baskets as a seat/storage :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You've got a bunch of ragtags operating a tank period, so nothing is sacred.

The only issue with the 12.7 on the FAV is that it sits too far back for a figure to use.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mine came loose, but i glued it back, then painted it.