1/18th scale Sdkfz 251 C Back Date

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Well it has been over a year and this project is finally done. The master is almost complete. I just need to make the turning indicators on the side and she is ready for molding. Of course after the Horten.

The back doors swing open and shut.;)

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Man, you are truly a master. I understand making molds and such, but the thing I don't get is how you make the prototypes to make the molds so precise and detailed. Could give me a quick run-down on how that stuff works?

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, This is what I have been wanting for awhile! I for sure will get one of these!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Man, you are truly a master. I understand making molds and such, but the thing I don't get is how you make the prototypes to make the molds so precise and detailed. Could give me a quick run-down on how that stuff works?

I try to get scaled plans of the subject and a scale model is a must.

I measure the part and just scale it up.

When ever possible I will trace the part and enlarge the part to scale and use the drawing as a template.

It just takes time and patience.

The hardest thing to do is when you realize you have made a mistake throw the piece away and make a new one.

Sometimes it is harder to rework a piece made in error than to simply remake it.

Of course after spending hours on something then finding out it is all wrong makes your head explode.

Case in point. I was making the breech area in my M-10 and after checking everything on the 1/35 scale model it looked fine. Then I looked at one of my reference books and the model looked nothing like the real Mc Coy in the picture.:eek::eek::eek:

That sucked it took me an additional 3 hours to make a " new " one.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Thank you, that must be very hard. I'd like to know what sort of materials you use to make prototypes etc.

Thanks,

AJ:D

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Awesome, I may get two then depending on funds at the time of release... Or I may pre-order one. If you offer it.