"Army Builder" figures...

PathFinder

Enlisted
Aug 12, 2011
Hey guys. What are your thoughts on this sort of figure in regards to availability and what you would pay/do pay to build your squad or platoon... dare I say company or battalion?

I myself have a smaller goal in mind, mostly due to space, and costs. For example, I have about 8 or 10 Stormtroopers, and the same with Sandtroopers and Scout Troopers (Biker Scouts). The Rebel Commando figure was easy to build after a while... But the Gamorrean Guard figure was difficult. I found two at retail and that's all I've been able to get. Go to ebay and he's around $35 bucks... That's a little steep for me. I notice the Ewok characters are difficult to find at retail as well.

I would like to grab a few of the Rebel Fleet Troopers, but I have never spotted them at Wally or TRU or Target... Go online to ebay and I think the lowest I've found is $16... that's a lot but I might cave in to grab a couple there... Makes ya mad when you realize you should have 2 for that price.

So what are you guys doing regularly to get these? Just going online? And what do you think is a "fair" price for some of these?

I should mention that I'm really just talking the newer Vintage Collection stuff if that's not already obvious...

PF

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
I wouldn't army build or troop build star wars figures, personally. I dunno why either. I troop built a few Cobra guys. Clones and Stomtroopers are easier to find, even. I just grab what SW troopers I want and they're all part of the same SW army. .. They just all have slightly different/specialized uniforms ..?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Jesus, a battalion? I think anything over a squad (8-13) is wasteful.

Most things are well served in fireteam (4) numbers. I imagine the same numbers would apply well enough to those white plastic armor-wearing conscripts.

PathFinder

Enlisted
Aug 12, 2011
Yes a battalion is a lot.:)

But I know I've seen people post pics of 50 Stormies in formation. So I know people do it. But yeah most folks would never have that kind of space. Like I said for me 8 is a ton and a group of 4 makes a pretty good display...

When I was 8 or 9 or so I had ONE Stormtrooper... More than that was considered impossible back then, for a number of reasons. Parents would never have bought more than one figure of any character...

The same with Joes. 1 Cobra, 1 Cobra Officer. That's it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, army building is definitely an adult collector mania.

If you're gonna do ranks of Stormtroopers in parade formation you've really got to put the effort into a display base and back drop.

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I used to army build the SHIT out of clone troopers, imperials, etc. At one point, I had over 500 episode 3 style clone troopers of different colors before I sold them all. I still buy any snow troopers I see though, cause I luvs me some snowtroopers. Eventually gonna set up a hoth display with my bmf at-at's.

I might still have some pics somewhere.