battlefield 3

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Dude, that's what I LOVED about MW2! the whole time I was "whoa", just kickass, popcorn blockbuster, mindless entertainment. It was like watching a Michael Bay flick.

While I'm all for portraying the military in a realistic manner, I don't want to stray too far into that since I do it for a living and the. It'll just feel like work... Or just bring back some bad memories.
True, well in that case this seems more like Black Hawk Down or Battle: LA than say a Michael Bay movie for sure. At least the plotline makes a little more sense I think.. haha.

To each their own! It is fun though.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
here's a video of what appears to be one of the earlier missions in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojblb0OKfPw&feature=feedu

It doesn't look like the absolute bullshit and fagotry that happened in Bad Company 2 or the Modern Ware-fare games, but I'm not holding my breath until I know for sure that the last half of the game doesn't degenerate into you saving the world by either yourself or with an invincible squad that hides behind you and doesn't shoot the enemy.

Also I'd almost bet money that you end up fighting an army of Russians at the end of the game. I don't know if it's because they're the only other nation bad-ass enough to take us on other than China but it's getting boring. I wonder how long it will be before people start complaining about constantly killing Russians like they complained about the abundance of WW2 games all those years ago.

And one more thing, if I find out that the Earthquake depicted at the end of the second level turns out to have been caused by a Russian super-weapon I'm going to be so pissed.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Okay so I beat the single player. It's about 6-7 hours on normal I'd guess for someone who plays FPS's.

I still really enjoyed it. BF2 had no single player, so I guess it's a bonus that they included it (though most military games now have single player, so I imagine it was somewhat required). It ended up being a good mix between realism and CoD.. so I think tomcat will enjoy it more than poopy pants lancelot (Save your money, unless you want the multiplayer Lancey.. I think you'll get angry(er?)!)

It was worth the price of admission for a good movie at least, for the single player that is, so that's like $10-$15. Amazon.com had the PC digital copy on sale for $40 a week or two ago, so I really feel I got my $$$ worth with this plus the open-ended multiplayer component.

Game is simply beautiful on the PC, and I have no idea how great it looks on high end hardware.. I can only imagine. It ran surprisingly good on my old PC, with an ATI Radeon HD 4850. I played the single player @ 1920x1080 on somewhere between medium settings (Some high, some low, mostly what it auto set at). I wouldn't say it was buttery smooth, but it was completely playable the entire time. Make sure to use CHROME browser on PC for the battlelog.. way better than using Firefox for memory management.

I'd give the single player a 8.5/10, there were a couple parts that dragged on, or seemed blatantly ridiculous.. but not many. It was reasonably hard even on "Normal" mode, and I died a bunch of times. There are "quick action" sequences.. where you have to hit [E] or [SPACE] or whatever during cut scenes, but it's not completely over-used thankfully.

Replayability? Ehhhh. Not as a whole, no real reason to finish it on "HARD" that I can see, though since the mission breakdown (11 missions) is pretty clear cut, there are some that I'd for sure play again just as a demo reel for friends.

Multiplayer is still a work in progress.. it's fun, but servers can be laggy, and I had to turn my settings down for big 64 player battles. I imagine it'll have legs, and be around for a while.. but we'll review that a little ways down the road.

Again, on PC my OriginID is "TheNSA". Hooah!

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
It's a shame that the game does reveal some sort of Russian antagonist in the single player, especially when the first view spinets I saw of the single player suggested other wise. Of course, like any proper shooter set in modern times the game follows the cliche of having the plot revolve around the use of nuclear devices and bad evil Russian guys. I think I'll pass on playing it. Perhaps I should just rent Medal of Honor (2010) instead.

I don't mind the Russians being the opposition to America in the multiplayer because, to be honest, who the hell wants to play as terrorists? Furthermore I remember that Battlefield 2 had the MEC (middle eastern coalition?) which was just about as believable as Cobra. I always pretended they were Iran.

I'm a little conflicted on having the Chinese as opposition (like in BF2 and Flashpoint: flaming Drag-queen) because on one hand they do make a good enemy in terms of fire power and technology (relatively speaking) but on the other hand we're so economically intertwined these days I just don't see us fighting them.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Perhaps I should just rent Medal of Honor (2010) instead.
Do it! You'll like it. It's based on real events with Al Qaeda/Taliban as the baddies. It was a lot of fun without breaking nearly as far from reality as most shooters do. Though short, it was my favorite campaign of all the COD/BF titles I've played, by far. It had just a couple of AI quirks, but generally ran smoothly. I loved playing as some of the US's best SOC ops.

I'm not planning to play the BF3 campaign until/unless the PSN goes down for a while again. I'm having way too much fun with the multiplayer for now.

Got your friend request, Midget. We'll have to squad up in multiplayer sometime after you get done with the campaign.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Awesome. It's going to take me a bit- I wish we had a seperate gaming TV and TV-TV, because my wife will want to watch her shows tonight and tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll be on the single player missions for a bit. Has anyone tried the co-op?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Nope. I was actually wondering about it when I was writing the last post too. Is it like the special operations in MW2?

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I dunno, I haven't tried it either. I wish I had some more time to play today. Stupid dinner with my new L-T....

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Ha! I'll see if he has a PS3. He may be up for it, he is sort of a computer nerd. A jacked one, but a computer nerd none the less.

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
i can fly a black hawk pretty good. i just have to get the game.......which may be a long time from now. :(

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm getting better with the vehicles (customized my controls a bit). Did some major carnage with T-90s last night. Still working on the jets and helos. I'm getting better at not crashing, but need to learn how to actually shoot things with them...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Used to be mine too, but having played the beta, I was way too eager to jump into the multiplayer before everybody else outpaced me to the goodies. Also, since I've traded in all my other games, I need to save the campaign for if/when the PSN gets hackattacked again.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
This weekend. Release the inner video game nerd. I'm having a 48 hour mtn-dew-fed video-game-marathon while the wife is out of town.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Heh, I'll be having a month and a half of that following the holidays. Not sure if I'll survive it, but I'll be giving it my best shot. Work, game, maybe sleep occasionally, shoot, repeat. It'll be good for me to get it out of my system I think. One of the most frustrating things now is that it's not easy to get dedicated game time with the wife and 4 kids. I've been up way too late the last couple nights simply because I am too interrupted to get very far when everybody's awake. I think my dad skills are suffering though... :(

The customization is pretty good. You can choose to be Assault (+Medic), Engineer (AT), Support (LMG) or Scout (Sniper). You unlock guns + perks as you rank up, so you get more and more lethal as you go. I usually play Scout or Engineer, and inevitably when I play Scout I need my RPG/SMAW, and when I'm Engineer I need long range firepower, but as I rank up, I think those issues will lessen a bit with perked out guns.

Right now, I'm really digging the tanks. Nothing is as cool to me as rolling up in an MBT and dominating an objective, blowing up everything in sight (at least until another tank shows up or a pack of opposing engineers, but I'll at least take some of them with me!). That's where BF3 excels IMO. Nothing quite like it in COD.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I liked playing the tanks sp mission. It was a little disorienting at first, but got much better as I got used to the controls.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Pretty much the same trying to learn the vehicles and aircraft, but you get better at not crashing the more you drive/pilot them. Tanks and IFVs are fairly quick to learn, but the aircraft are definitely a challenge to get pointed in the direction you want them, let alone kill stuff.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I've heard they have "stick" type controllers available for PS3, but you'd have to be hardcore dedicated to flying (or I suppose tanking) or else you'd have to learn to fight as infantry with it too. You'd have to play conquest or rush mode pretty much all the time (not necessarily a bad thing) to have the vehicles, and be pretty good at jumping into jets before the other guys.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So far I haven't had too much trouble. You have to remember on console there are a lot fewer players 12/team than on PC 32/team in conquest. So, pretty much everybody can use vehicles/aircraft at some point in the game.

I remember one point in a conquest map last night when literally jets, helos, tanks, IFVs, Humvees, and Jeeps were all swirling around me in my little hideout guarding an objective. As the enemy helo rocket strafed my vicinity repeatedly, it really felt like I was likely to be blown apart at any moment. Kind of a crazy feeling. You have to be pretty savvy when tanks, helos and aircraft (against which most infantry types have no offensive weapons that can do significant damage) are gunning for you. Lucky I'm pretty good at snake-in-the-grass...

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I prefer accuracy by volume of fire. I get antsy and can't stay in one place long enough to be an effective scout.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Heh, you'd love using the AA vehicles for ground warfare then. A couple of electric rotary cannons chops up infantry real good...

I'm more of an accuracy by caliber, 25mm to 120mm preferably. Rockets are fun too...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You betcha. I took out a T-90 with one last night (using a TOW). 'Course he killed me at the same time, but it was worth it. I really like the LAV. That 25mm cannon is wicked too.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Really enjoying playing this game right now! I hear there's a new patch coming that will fix the initial match connection issues. Other than that, it's been solid.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I played MP for the first time this weekend. I really enjoyed it. I like that your score is more dependant on what you do, rather than how many kills you have. I got into some tank action, which was fun, but I kept getting waxed by the A-10/Froggfoot in this one level. And I haven't been able to get into a plane or helo yet, which is frustrating.