Cartoon Networks Thundercats Discussion

alcinde4

Kicker of asses and such
May 16, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The animation will have to grow on me. I love the storyline so far. It's definitely ten million times better than that Voltron horseshit. I think they're seriously trying to fuck up my childhood nostalgia with Voltron.

I could really see myself getting into this new Thundercats though.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I just watched the premier of it on Cartoon Network. It wasn't bad, some of the voice acting was phoned in at times though. I don't remember the original cartoon having Cruise missiles, lazer rifles, giant robots, or various weapons of mass destruction. I also don't really remember the original having so much politics. The original as I remember was just 6 or 7 cat people who occasionally fought some evil hobo in rags. At any rate it didn't suck and I'm really glad that people actually died in the show. I'm so glad to see Cartoon Network to be officially past that dark post 9/11 time in history when everything with balls (like mobile suit gundam) had to be cancelled and replaced with pussified cartoons like Hamtaro (a boring show about fucking hamsters) or SD Gundam (which was basically Gundam for special needs toddlers).

Good job Cartoon Network.

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Isn't there an episode where the main character flips off one of the antagonists with his middle finger? I had a friend in high school who could never shut-up about it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I can relate... my son watches that crappy version Dragonball Z Kai - so I got him Dragonball Z season 9 - 6 disc set for Christmas - it's a whole other animal - much grittier!

I won't say you can say that about most Japanese children's cartons that get ported to America, but most of them certainly have themes that won't fly on American TV.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So i watched it (shhh, tell no one!) and it really isn't bad. Definitely not sold on most of the main character designs, but it gets points for having the original Lion-o voicing Claudus, and Grun (Groon?) really makes me want to get the figure for that tetsubo.

It's definitely a better watch than [i[]Renegades[/i], and while the into/outro from '85 is better, overall i say the new 'toon outstrips it's forefather.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i think i like all the designs except the two tots...and i'm not a huge fan of anime, but i think this shows animation will grow on me

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't care for the anime character design of this particular style. I guess i can live with them all other than Cheetara, really don't like her.

It's no Wicked City, but then again it's not Pokemon, either.

It's a shame the figures aren't likely to be any good.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Just watched the first two episodes and I'm in for now. That's how you make a cartoon! Fighting and small character building right out the gate. I'll be interested to see where they take this.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Think we've got a proper thread somewhere else. ;)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The toy thread IS the correct place, i think. Besides, i don't feel like typing out my review again.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
can we merge the three TC threads?

liked last nights episode...sorta...gonna miss his dad with Lion-Os old voice

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
can we merge the three TC threads?

liked last nights episode...sorta...gonna miss his dad with Lion-Os old voice

You want just a general Thundercats discussion thread?

Maybe we could just make a new site for it instead. ;)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
heh heh heh..nice MB...cause there is SOOOOOOO much TC related stuff to discuss :D

which i guess is the reason why i think one thread is plenty...but what do i know...clearly not as much as the HT genious'

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
What are the other threads? One is toys so that will stay but where is the other TC thead? We can at least get those merged.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
What are the other threads? One is toys so that will stay but where is the other TC thead? We can at least get those merged.

Whoa big fella! settle down. You have done enough modding for one day. I know you got the big bad red letters now but you need to take it slow. No need to blow your wad in 1 day

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I'm kind of digging the story of this show. Not really a fan of the animation but I can look past it for how they are doing some decent action and doing some character building. It has potential.

CAPT. GRID-IRON

SerpentorsLair Commander
Jul 25, 2011
serpentorslair.info
If you want to get a little sneak preview of this weeks episode, where the "Real" Panthro is revealed Check the video out HERE!

Oh and for those who didn't realize technically Panthro was not in the initial episode it was only Mum Ra Masquerading as Panthro :)

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I looked at the thunder cats Action figures on the toy r us website. I'm not too excited about how the articulation was carried out. I'm also none too excited about the lack of details.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
yeah, it's a shame because Bandi use to make awesome stuff. A decade ago they made awesome Mobile Suit Gundam figures with bad-ass articulation. Now they've lazily gone a few steps backward in the name of cheapness. I wonder how long it will be before they merge with Cheap-Mei.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think the Japanese arm of Bandai makes some decent stuff. Bandai America, however.....

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I gotta' say. I like what they are doing with this cartoon. Really hooking me in to the damn thing. Can't wait to see what they do with Panthro. Not sure if I could really dig the toys though. Don't need anything else to clutter up my place. They probably would be nice displays at least.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Saw them yesterday, but really didn't have time to look hard at them. I liked this week's episode, too, even if the lil fellers looked like Whos from Whoville.

Usually don't get that kind of story in kid's 'toons. Lion-o gettin' schooled on life and shit.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Exactly! They are really doing this cartoon good right now. I'm actually surprised that there is such a thing out there. It's kind of like the old one where they would try to instill values. On top of that it had some decent action. With Panthro back the core characters are now together and this should get real interesting.

Hard to believe it but I'm actually anticipating each week right now. Wonder if they will bring in the robears or whatever their names were. They always seemed to have to save their asses.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I too am anticipating episodes now. Never got that from Renegades.

Yeah, I was pretty stoked when Panthro popped that lizard in the puss with his nunchaku.

And the THUNDERTANK!

Lantern_lad

Vintage Graphic Designer
Jul 4, 2011
Southern California
Fantastic cartoon! Horrible toys, but a fantastic show!

This weekends episode "Song of the Padalars" was incredibly sad and uplifting. It had my wife crying at the end of it.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
So far it is well worth it Midge. They really have a good formula they are working with on the story. The animation is not really my gig but I watch them in HD and it is worth it. Not choppy like Renegades and they have already brought in the core villans within basically the first few episodes.

I'm wondering if Jekyl and that condor dude will show up. I like how Sly was cold enough to say his guys were "expendable" on the last episode. He was willing to torch them alive just to get the cats.

And like LL said, they did have some touching moments in the last one. For a kids cartoon it can thoroughly be enjoyed by adults.

And yes, the Thundertank is back! Now the Thundercats finally have some tech and I bet more is coming with Panthro on the scene. He always was the gear head.