casting tires...

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
If I were to cast some tires, what would be a good resin to use? I'd want it to have a little give, especially so I can shove a rod in the hole(settle down Eddie), and it'd hold from the friction alone. Any tips? I don't want it to be too rubbery though.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
You could use Smooth-On Colormatch 327 and adjust the levels to 20-25% more part B so it's more flexible plus you could add black color tint.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
If I do 25% more part B, do I do 25% less of part A or just add an additional part B?

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
What I usually do is pour part B into a cup, weigh it (subtract the weight of the cup if you didn't zero it out), and then multiply by .25. Subtract that number from the weight of part B and that's what you need for part A.

For example, if you use 1 oz of part B, use .75 oz of part A. Use more part A if it's still too flexible for you.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I did and most the shops tires look like this:

or this:

I actually took the tire I wanted to replace to one shop and most are too big and the ones that are the right size are the wrong style, lol.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
You could also try 60D it's kind of similar in feel to rubber as far as flexibility.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I've been casting slot car tires of late. The Simpact 60a has been working well for an open sided tire mould. I've tried it in some of my other closed moulds and it has not worked as well. Air seems to get trapped very easily causing imperfections.

Try making the mold KIND OF 2 part. make it in such a way that you pop the center of the tire mold into the mold after you fill the mold some.

I've been using Simpact 60A for my coats, and capes lately, and it really is a fantastic material.