Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
This isn't really a conspiracy story (OR IS IT) but I am not sure where else to put it (OR DO I) so I guess I'll post it here (OR WILL I? Oh, yes, I will)

So I guess CA passed a law that is supposed to limit water use due to our shitty droughts. It was signed by our shitty democrat governor and shitty democrat legislature..

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-03/its-now-against-law-california-shower-and-do-laundry-same-day

Highlights from the article, but do read the article first (it's short) to really understand the post.

Governor Jerry Brown is retiring but not before he passes a few draconian laws as parting gifts for California. Two bills were signed into law on Thursday of last week to “help California be better prepared for future droughts and the effects of climate change.”

The mandatory water conservation standards will be permanent, according to their wording, and not just for use in times of crisis. To make a long story short, now that these bills are law, it’s illegal to take a shower and do a load of laundry in the same day because you’ll exceed your “ration.”

Assembly Bill 1668 is where it gets personal. This establishes limits on indoor water usage for every person in California and the amount allowed will decrease even further over the next 12 years.

The bill, until January 1, 2025, would establish 55 gallons per capita daily as the standard for indoor residential water use, beginning January 1, 2025, would establish the greater of 52.5 gallons per capita daily or a standard recommended by the department and the board as the standard for indoor residential water use, and beginning January 1, 2030, would establish the greater of 50 gallons per capita daily or a standard recommended by the department and the board as the standard for indoor residential water use. The bill would impose civil liability for a violation of an order or regulation issued pursuant to these provisions, as specified.​

What if you don’t comply?
If you don’t plan to comply it’s going to be way cheaper to move. Here are the fines Californians will be looking at – and it’s not a typo – these fines are PER DAY.

(1) If the violation occurs in a critically dry year immediately preceded by two or more consecutive below normal, dry, or critically dry years or during a period for which the Governor has issued a proclamation of a state of emergency under the California Emergency Services Act (Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 8550) of Division 1 of Title 2 of the Government Code) based on drought conditions, ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for each day in which the violation occurs.
(2) For all violations other than those described in paragraph (1), one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each day in which the violation occurs.​
So.. yeah.. sounds pretty shitty! MUH WATUR! $10,000 fine for using too much water? If it's yellow let it mellow.. if it's brown.. leave it around? Dirty stinking (more than usual) CA people! Ugh! Just another way for the gubmint to pin the people under their thumb. $10K fines will probably go to the people registered as republicans!

So I was outraged. OUTRAGED! So I, you know, looked into it instead of posting angrily on social media about it first.

Here's the actual law stuff: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1668

So.. the article left out one small part about the fines, the line preceeding the part they quoted

(a) An urban retail water supplier who commits any of the violations identified in subdivision (b) may be liable in an amount not to exceed the following, as applicable:

Wait a second.

So the fines wouldn't be for the people? They're for the water company? Well that explains why it's so high. They have to come up with guidelines for per person (or house?) use and then meet them, and if they don't that's on them? I assume they'll adjust rates accordingly (as the capitalist market desires).

Nothing about this seems terrible to me, other than not using a ton of water, which.. I mean we shouldn't be if there isn't any water to use.

So anyway.. this is the kind of shit that makes me hate the internet. I think ZeroHedge is a conservative type place.. I'm not 100% sure but the way to write I'd assume so. It is totally misleading it's readers. These readers then go and share the story, and those people share it.. and by the time anyone really looks at it, the misinformation is out there. "OH MY GOD THEY'RE GONNA CHARGE ME $10 GRAND TO DO LAUNDRY! F THIS!" This kind of BS happens on the left and right, there is no monopoly.. but I don't know how to change it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Isn't the water company a gubment regulated entity already? If not, wouldn't they just pass the costs along if consumers consume too much? If they are, wouldn't they just cut off the problem areas that cost them so much and can't curb their consumption to the level of stink required? So is it all the illegals using up all the water? I keep hearing all the legal, productive and/or freedom loving people are moving away from Cali. I don't understand how this hasn't been a problem but now is. Shouldn't technology be helping with this?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, everyone uses a lot of water. Old washers, old equipment. Long showers.. etc. I would think the market could correct it.. but it's kind of hard since it's not always 1:1 usage. If you have an apartment with no lawn you might use less than someone with a law. This is them trying to come up with a baseline to go off of.

Ultimately the problem is too many people and not enough rain, but since neither of those is going to change, you need to figure out other solutions.

But that wasn't really the point of the post in this thread, the bottom part was :p

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yes, yes, you had a point. But I'm a solutions guy (I keep telling my wife this too), it's what I do. CA needs to develop affordable desalination. Put Elon Musk on it... and keep the enviroweenies and gubment regulators off of it... Problem solved. :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, lots of ocean there to use too. Not sure why they haven't tapped that. How hard is it to remove a little salt!

But I can see some things being helpful to regulate.. people with giant lawns etc. Let them have them, but charge them accordingly. We did a drought tolerant thing a couple years back and got a rebate.

At some point there are going to be places where it's not economically sound to have people living there.. and either you push forward anyways or you tell them tough luck you live in a fucking desert.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I understand that your main point was about the spread of misinformation... but at this point, I don't know how/why any sane person can still live in Cali. All of their rules are draconian. All of their rules are designed to make life harder. All of their rules are aimed at micromanaging life and sucking your soul and wallet dry.

We have no smog, we have no droughts, we have no wildfires, mudslides, or floods. We have no state/local income tax, no auto inspections, no wheel tax, no chronic traffic, common sense building codes, and our own politicians tell us to ignore redlight camera fines. No unions, no mafia, no gangs, and little crime. Homes are affordable, gun ownership is encouraged, wildlife is abundant, and people are friendly. Every little annoyance in life just magically went away when I moved back home to TN.

To be fair, I'm glad that most people don't know this, as we'd be overrun by yankees and liberals who move into our state and tell us how backward we are and how they used to do it "up north". The few imports we get always try to turn it into the place they just fled. It's astoundingly moronic.

Bottom line, intentional, politicized misinformation sucks, but so does Cali - you don't have to live that way. Get the hell out. You won't regret it.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's funny. IRL, I've noticed a definite indifference to privacy. People really don't care to spread every last detail of their life on social media. Even things that think are private, like emails or "private" messages. You inform them that they are not actually as private as they think and they shrug. You tell them that people DO have access to their "send nudes" they've sent and they just don't care. I guess if you've grown up with no illusions of privacy from the start, you don't expect it and in turn are apathetic.

I mean, I guess we share a lot here? But we have 12 people viewing what we share...so, who cares? AHHH! I'm one of them!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, it is a consequence of our now digital lives.. so it does seem to 'mean' a lot less. Your nudes are are just a few in a huge sea of everyone elses nudes. Who cares? It only really matters if you're somehow famous or rich or important.. or find yourself facing a vengeful rival.

I don't think we're at the point yet where saying something and your spying Alexa turns you in is here yet.. mostly because we can't even agree as a country as to what is right or wrong. How is Alexa supposed to narc on you when everything is a grey area? Are they speaking spanish? Are they illegals?! Wait thats not illegal in CA..

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We know that literally every word we type is stored...somewhere. I suspect that someday our undefined, up to interpretation "hate" words will be used retroactively against us in an as yet unknown capacity.

I guess I am guilty of "who cares" as I often type things that would be considered "hateful".

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's a huge concern. If they get pushed into a corner and are desperate, there are going to be attempts at lashing out. "Better to rule Hell than serve in Heaven." How absolutely f'ed up does someone need to be to follow that rationale?

I just pray that all this is a.) prevented by people who will not comply with immoral directives or b.) it blows up in their face if they try something. Mostly I just pray.