Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm not concerned being in the middle of the US and the fact it would really take an overwhelming number of cases to fill up all the ICU beds before it turned into a deadly matter, but I feel really uneasy with the world's governments trying so hard to control the narrative. I understand and expect Chiner to lie, but why are the other governments trying to keep a lid on it? It's not comforting and it's really easy to see their actions are not mirroring their words.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
One example is it was racist to put up a travel ban for EBOLA, yet they seem to be falling over themselves to shutdown air traffic for a little cold that lots of people under 40 don't even know they have.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'll go ahead and add this. It's a week or so old now, but it does seem to contain some decent research and comparison discussion, as well as some relatively local information from a guy in Hong Kong (and an interesting theory on the potential origin of the Corona virus - Lyme disease part deux?).

Not sure if I'm ready to decline all travel, stock up and hunker down just yet, but the RO factor on this virus is a little scary, versus that of previous false alarm viruses and even some of the actual nasty ones (Spanish flu). Needless to say, I'll be paying serious attention to it, particularly if I might be heading toward the infected regions in the future.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Overall Risk of Coronavirus in the U.S. is still low, CDC says
Government officials and corporate executives around the world are scrambling to limit the damage from the fast-spreading coronavirus as Russia tightened its border with China and the U.S. announced plans for a second evacuation of the Chinese city at the center of the epidemic.
In response to the virus, companies including Tesla Inc. and IKEA were forced to temporarily halt operations in China.
Coronavirus Triggers Damage Control From Governments, Companies

Actions are louder than words you assholes. You didn't do any of this with Ebola.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The best hope for limiting the damage on this is for Corona to adapt away of being dangerous to humans. This is how a lot of nasty viruses peter out. Now if it turns out that is an engineered virus, all bets are off. Who knows what it will do, besides what it is doing now.

The real question is this: Is this an elderly and compromised person killer (regular flu, SARS, MERS, etc.) or a (Spanish flu like) young, healthy and vibrant person killer. Has anybody read anything regarding that?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Seems to be hitting the old and compromised the hardest, which.. I guess is good.

It's hard though because the only data we're really getting is out of Chiner.. which, is suspect at best.

I'm not super worried, but if it starts expanding like crazy in nearby countries like India, Japan, Australia, then I'll be ready to push the panic button. Hopefully it's expanding so crazy because China is a shithole in a lot of places.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, if it was engineered by them, "yer doin' it wrong!" I don't get worried about the viruses that only actually kill the compromised. The common flu does that every year. It sucks when the rest of us get it, but at least we don't have to worry about dying from it (no matter how much it feels like it). I wonder if the numbers are exaggerated by the sheer number of people over there. I also have not heard of any fatalities outside Chiner so far. That much is good news.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
here was a prediction model from a couple days back, and not a good prediction:

I am not 100% sure where this came from, but it's still pretty close.

Predicted Confirmed Cases: 11,090, actual 9,171
Predicted Deaths: 229, actual 213

And these shouldn't be the final #s for the day yet.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
For fucks sake people

The responses are priceless...

While I'm sure this is a serious issue that needs plenty of attention from our most qualified infectious disease experts, I have a hard time getting excited over this. How many people even knew anyone truly affected by SARS, bird flu, ebola, or the myrid of other third-world, snake-eating, monkey-fucking viruses? Those were all academic exercises, as the number of people actually affected was microscopic in the grand scheme of things.

The TV is selling ads, and the gubments are distracting from impeachment, brexit, flagging chinese economy, and a worthless shit-pile of democratic candidates that have no chance of beating President Cheeto. Everyone wants you to get excited when in reality, NOTHING is going to happen to anyone. Look over here, never mind what the left hand is doing.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm gonna call fake on that. I mean, it sounds like something the chinese government would do, but why would they be bothering people in the middle of nowhere outer Mongolia? Police drones in the middle of Bejing, sure, but in rural BFE? This seems... manufactured.

Still, it would have been better if they started chucking rocks at it ;)