Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Perfect storm of open borders, tourist economy, older population and an overwhelmed medical system.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My county still isn't on there, but like I said this morning, I'm pretty confident there is at least 1.

Restaurants here are closing dining rooms, but otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual. I'm renting units like it's friday in the spring, which is to say, a lot. At lunch I went to buy stuff to service my riding mower so I can get it going for the season. My lawn certainly did not get the memo to shut down.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Wow, I assumed they would be leveling off by now as the oldest/weakest/most-compromised died off. How are they still accelerating?! That's unreal.

I feel bad for them. In any other kind of disaster, the whole world would be pitching in to help, but when everyone is either facing or preparing for the exact same thing, there isn't much help anyone can send.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
My company is certainly exempt, so if T-Mo wants us to return to the office on zero day (scheduled for April 1st) then the police could not stop me, but I honestly could never step foot in there again and it effects my job none. My job is 100% portable.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I figured they would keep you in the field, since I assume "distancing" isn't a problem. You're not exactly working around the public a la retail or near a lot of other people in an office-type setting. What's the logic to keeping you on the bench?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m a network engineer that designs virtual templates of all our physical equipment. I’m only useful for when they decide to use a new shelf/router/server/card/sfp into the network, but I have made it to where I’m the only one on Sprint’s payroll that knows what I do.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Spain update:

COVID-19: Spanish minister says older people found 'dead and abandoned'

Soldiers drafted in to help Spain tackle the coronavirus pandemic by disinfecting and running residential homes have found a number of elderly people abandoned and dead in their beds, according to the country’s defence minister.

News of the grim discoveries came as Spain experienced a further rise in the number of coronavirus deaths and cases, and as health authorities set about distributing almost 650,000 rapid testing kits.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Not to my knowledge. Supposedly testing has been ramping up, but it's possible that maybe less tests were given over the weekend, and thus less new cases 48-72 hours later. I guess we'll see in a few days.

Still only 2 deaths (no new), which is also good.

The kids' school system announced they're going to burn through the unused snow-days built into the calendar, so the earliest they'll go back would be 4/15. And they also announced that state testing is off, no big surprise there. But I don't think the kids will miss much actual instruction when you throw out the test-taking and the wasted weeks of review beforehand.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Our idiot Gov. Blackface announced no school until next fall in VA... but daycares remain open. :rolleyes:

I'm even happier than usual that my kids are homeschooled.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Our kids are out at least until 5/4 and very likely through the end of the year, but we don't have confirmation on that yet, which is annoying.

Coronavirus Southern California update: Health officials confirm 4 new deaths, 128 new cases in LA County

March 24, 2020

12:30 p.m.

Los Angeles County public health officials on Tuesday confirmed 4 new deaths and 128 new cases, bringing the total to 11 deaths and 662 cases in the county. County public health director Barbara Ferrer said one of the deaths was a person under the age of 18, which she said is a "devastating reminder" that COVID-19 affects individuals of all ages.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Just hours after telling us school is out until 4/15, they came back and said that by recommendation of the governor, they now won't go back until 4/27. I hope they really do go back. They need to not be lumps of shit for six months. It'll take until x-mas just to get them back to where they were if they're off from march to august.

The wife has already announced that she's giving the kids her own homework... and it was not well received. The only thing worse than school homework is mom homework. But she was a teacher, and she knows how to crack that whip. Sucks to be them! :ROFLMAO:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
TN at 784 cases, only three deaths so far. But it's interesting that in today's report, they state that only 53 required hospitalization. I think that's a stat more reporting should include. It might calm fears quite a bit if people see that 93% of cases don't require advanced care.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
TN at 784 cases, only three deaths so far. But it's interesting that in today's report, they state that only 53 required hospitalization. I think that's a stat more reporting should include. It might calm fears quite a bit if people see that 93% of cases don't require advanced care.
That stat is hard though because most people don't need hospitalization right away. If they're getting tested sooner, the better.

NY is something like 13% hospitalization, and 3% ICU. I would guess it could normalize, but the longer the outbreak goes on, the more chance people will develop issues that require hospitalization.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
That stat is hard though because most people don't need hospitalization right away. If they're getting tested sooner, the better.

NY is something like 13% hospitalization, and 3% ICU. I would guess it could normalize, but the longer the outbreak goes on, the more chance people will develop issues that require hospitalization.
I understand it's not perfect, the same way the death rate isn't perfect. Some of those 784 people might still die of it but just haven't YET. But with imperfect information, it's all we have to go on. Still, I'd rather see hospitalization numbers than not; I think most (some?) people are able to see the nuance and understand what they do and don't mean.

V V, that's no good. Are they having mild or severe cases? It seems like one strain is far nastier than the other.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I take comfort in the conclusions of smart math people.

Coronavirus turning point in US could be sooner than predicted, Nobel laureate claims

"Levitt, who received the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, was able to predict with a high degree of accuracy when China would begin to see a decline in COVID-19 cases in a report he shared with friends early in February. He forecast China would see around 80,000 cases, with about 3,250 deaths. As of March 16, China had 80,298 cases and 3,245 deaths.

"Numbers are still noisy [in the U.S.], but there are clear signs of slowed growth,” he told the Los Angeles Times.

Although the scientist has not offered a specific date for when America may see a turning point against the pandemic, he added that “the real situation is not nearly as terrible as they make it out to be.” "