Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
A lot of (normally hard working) people are getting desperate... to go back to work. Many have had little to no income for over a month now. We should be happy it has been entirely peaceful. If certain government support programs were to be cut off for over a month, I'm pretty sure the "protests" would be a bit less peaceful...

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I've talked to a few people and no one can figure why he would off himself. He was in the "top tier" of the company, even on the board of directors. He practically started our part of the business and had been with it for 33 years. AND he was pretty well married into the company, his mother was the sister in law of one of the two brothers that started the company.

-He had money...his wife came from money, so that wasn't an issue.
-I doubt they were going to give him the axe considering how much he knew....he knew that place inside and out, knew all sorts of people no one else knew...that sort of thing. Getting rid of him would have just been stupid, especially at a time like this.
-I thought maybe he couldn't handle being part of letting go so many people if it were a board decision, but surely tht wouldn't have been the first time he let someone go. You'd think he would realize that would come with the territory and be ready for it.
-Maybe he had a serious health issue that popped up....inoperable terminal cancer? I don't know.
-Maybe he was having marriage problems and his wife was going to leave him? Again, who knows.

He never showed any sings of having depression type issues, but that's the thing with stress/depression, it often doesn't show on the outside, and chances are he wouldn't have shared that with me or anyone else anyway.

What gets me is that there are lots of people who will boo-hoo about his death, how he was such a great guy, wonderful, blah blah blah.....and I just never saw it. I think the whole time I worked there he told me maybe twice that something I did was a "good job". He did tell me all sorts of things that make me wonder if he wasn't trying to get a rise out of me so that he could either fire me or make me quit. Hmm....maybe he had some sort of mental thing after all...maybe he had a brain tumor, that would certainly explain some of the things he directed towards me.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Crazy is crazy & there is no way to truly understand it. Guy offs himself in the office he is trying to say something, but even the biggest jerks in the world still have people say nice things about them when they die. It’s more of a defensive mechanism for ourselves. If you didn’t like the guy chances are others are thinking the same thing.

maybe his wife was leaving him, maybe he was stealing money for years, if he thought he might be going to jail, seems like a good time to get out of there.

Reactions: pcsguy88

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I may never know. I still have one contact on the inside and if it ever comes to light that he left a message behind, I might be able to find out. Either way, I just need to move on with things. I've had this crap running through my mind for nearly a month now and I'm really getting tired of it, to many nights staying awake till 4 in the morning.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
From day 1 we knew there would be idiots claiming this whole thing would be an over reaction
These people either
1: are to self absorbed to be taken seriously
2: Think they have something to gain. (See doctors above who own a series of clinics, & would love to have more covid19 cases)
3: people who failed Darwinism.
4: Unable to take responsibility for themselves forget about everyone else.

Maybe history will claim we could have avoided this mess, but until someone here & now comes up with a workable plan, we have to deal with this the best we can.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
We definitely overreacted. It’s impossible to say by how much until this is all over, but we just are not seeing a difference in numbers between places that completely stopped and places that continued on with life. Rona was going to kill the very old and the weak no matter what the rest of us did and I feel pretty certain more of us have already had it this winter than we will ever know unless antibody testing is done. What we do know is we have lost many small businesses and local restaurants forever. Some here had been open for 30yrs and were considered staples of the community. That’s as sad as someone’s 80yr old grandparent dying.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Many of the studies in europe are concluding that cases and deaths are relatively independent of whether or not a country went into lockdown. If that's the case, it's not a matter of one's opinion on the virus or it's impact, it just means we killed our economy for nothing.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The thing that really bothers me is why China reacted the way they did. Welding people in their homes and having fleets of trucks fogging the streets of entire cities? This is what had me so freaked out since it was right out of a dystopian future. I wonder what the saw that caused all of that to take place.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Many of the studies in europe are concluding that cases and deaths are relatively independent of whether or not a country went into lockdown. If that's the case, it's not a matter of one's opinion on the virus or it's impact, it just means we killed our economy for nothing.
^^^This. Based upon panic driven by self serving "scientists and doctors" who (WHO) missed the mark on their "scientific" models my orders of magnitude, and a complicit media that was more than willing to spread panic and demonize anyone who wasn't/isn't on board with their economy wrecking hysteria.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm just thankful that we're largely past the stage where anyone that thinks we should reopen is the devil. For a while, you were accused of wanting to kill grandma just to help exxon's stock price. Like with most hot-takes, there was zero recognition of nuance or differences in circumstances. There was only the court of twitter.

But now people need to work, they're tired of staying home, and all indications are that the virus is far more widespread than thought, and thus also far less deadly than previously thought. At some point, the urge to resume a semi-normal life will outweigh the risks. That will come at different times in different places, but the world can't stop forever, and shy of a vaccine there is no way to make the risk near-zero. At some point you just decide to play your quarter and take your chances.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think cities and towns should be able to reopen if they feel it is safe. It's not a one-size fits all kind of thing.

I do think there is benefit in opening in phases though, as if the worst were to happen, you're not fully committed. The biggest fear was always the overwhelming of the medical system, and even in NYC, while it was super stressed, it didn't collapse. Hopefully the states that are already committed to reopening do so fast, and we'll see if there is anything to fear or not.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
And GA. Some businesses here in TN opened monday, and the stay-at-home order expires after tomorrow, but social distancing still applies. We'll see.

Virus aside, the nagging concern in the recesses of my brain is the potential protein shortage. With so many processing plants closing, even though there are plenty of animals, we could see a bottleneck in the amounts that get sent to consumers.

I had the wife put in an order of about $300 worth of beef and chicken at the butcher yesterday. She'll foodsaver it, and it'll keep for a long long time, even though that's really only about a 3-week supply for us. There might not be a meat shortage, but I'd rather be on the front end of that curve than playing catch-up. Better to have the freezer stocked than eat canned tuna for a month.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Better be prepared to eat like a SOY BOY!

Crazy how there are so many outbreaks at meat plants. It still seems to spread like wildfire in those settings.

I wonder if enough people will have gotten sick so they can go back to work once they recover and be immune?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I had my wife add a couple hams to our already strong meat supply... just in case. She’s smoking a pork butt tomorrow. That should get us through the weekend... :thumbsup:

Trump is keeping the meat plants open, so there’s that. Sorry vegans... :pirate:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Better be prepared to eat like a SOY BOY!

Crazy how there are so many outbreaks at meat plants. It still seems to spread like wildfire in those settings.

I wonder if enough people will have gotten sick so they can go back to work once they recover and be immune?
They should probably stop packaging bush meat.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's not as hard as it seems, but it does help to have an experienced teacher or two (and I wife with a strong stomach that likes to cut meat :eek: :p). I can do it and do help, but I'm mainly trigger and muscle and she's the butcher.

We do hang the deer, but the bleeding part happens naturally as a function of the hanging and cutting. I think the main thing is to get it hung and then cut up relatively soon after the kill. The processing and preparation afterwards also helps with the quality/taste of the meat.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I could bring home a pickup load of deer without leaving my porch. But that would have to be a last resort. Fishing is a much simpler solution, one that I'm intimately more familiar with. When I was a teen, my dad decided we were going to supply the sunday school with enough fish for a 50-person cookout. So he got a commercial fishing license, and without going more than a 1/4 mile from our dock, we caught/cleaned about 5500lbs of catfish that year.

If I never go fishing again, it'll be too soon.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Wow, that’s a ton o’ fish. I wish I liked fish, but alas... My wife makes it occasionally and I’ll eat it, but it’s rare that I enjoy it very much, even though she does a great job with it.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
On the hunting thing, after getting a license I wouldn’t even know where to go. What are the rules of the land? How do I avoid getting shot? How do I setup a blind and cameras to stalk the deer before the season and not have my shit stolen. There is just so much.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Wow, that’s a ton o’ fish. I wish I liked fish, but alas... My wife makes it occasionally and I’ll eat it, but it’s rare that I enjoy it very much, even though she does a great job with it.
Actually, it's nearly 3-tons o' fish ;)

Catfish is good when you deepfry it in cornmeal. Especially blue-cats, they don't have any fishy flavor at all. I still love to eat it, but I'm done with catching it, you know, unless shit gets real.

Funny thing about that level of intense immersion, you don't forget it. Even though it's been 30+ years, I could do every bit of it right now, without even thinking twice. From the trot-line prep, to setting it out, baiting it, running it, the pithing board, the cleaning... just like it was yesterday.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
On the hunting thing, after getting a license I wouldn’t even know where to go. What are the rules of the land? How do I avoid getting shot? How do I setup a blind and cameras to stalk the deer before the season and not have my shit stolen. There is just so much.
Yep, I was there a few years back. Main thing is checking your state and county laws. It's tedious, but they do spell everything out (as clearly as lawyer speak ever does) on the rules and necessary safety attire. As far as where, there are state and federal gamelands that most people use that don't hunt their own property. I don't think you can do much semi-permanently on those, but you can probably do deer spotting and figure out your preferred spot ahead of time. Or find somebody who has a lot of land and nuisance deer (farmers?). They are usually more than happy to have you cull their deer population.

Best thing would be to hook up with somebody who's been there and done that. Most hunters are very happy to pass knowledge along (so long as you aren't hurting their chances). I'd say these days there must be online forums and such out there for KC guys that hunt. I've heard they even have forums for manchildren who like plastic toys! :p

Actually, it's nearly 3-tons o' fish ;)

Catfish is good when you deepfry it in cornmeal. Especially blue-cats, they don't have any fishy flavor at all. I still love to eat it, but I'm done with catching it, you know, unless shit gets real.

Funny thing about that level of intense immersion, you don't forget it. Even though it's been 30+ years, I could do every bit of it right now, without even thinking twice. From the trot-line prep, to setting it out, baiting it, running it, the pithing board, the cleaning... just like it was yesterday.
Indeed! You do make catfish sound appealing with the deepfried cornmeal recipe! My wife fixed it once for the family, pan fried I believe. It wasn't my favorite. I can tolerate tilapia, tuna and salmon pretty well, but haven't found the right recipe for catfish apparently.

Reactions: NSA

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Aside from the less-fishy taste, the really appealing part of catfish is that it's one of the few freshwater fish in these parts that doesn't have scales. Skinning one is far easier and (relatively) less messy/troublesome than scaling something. And they yield a hell of a lot more meat than a bluegill or crappie. And they're waaaay easier to catch than bass. It's definitely the bang-for-your-buck fish in the meat vs effort category.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Catfish are bottom feeders. Thank god my body began rejecting fish before I moved to the midwest where they eat garbage fish like cats and crappie. You are what you eat.
Funny you mentioned that. It was on my mind when I was eating it and a lot of the reason I don't do shrimp. They are bottom feeding bugs... :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I like fish, but my wife hates the very smell of it, so we don't eat anything that lives in the water usually. If we go somewhere, I'll sometimes be allowed to order the fish, but don't expect a warm homecoming! lol

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I have issues with the smell of fish and even with the small of venison (mostly because of it reminding me of the butchering smell). But I do love the meat and can handle the less fishy fish, particularly if the preparation is right.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I like salmon so much that once I became allergic to it and all other fish, I’d eat a small amount every time my dad grilled it until I built an immunity back up. Now I eat it all the time.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Catfish are bottom feeders. Thank god my body began rejecting fish before I moved to the midwest where they eat garbage fish like cats and crappie. You are what you eat.
To each their own. Catfish is some great eating, don't let anyone kid you. It's really good white meat, and if you know what you're doing, it's not fishy at all. Since moving out of south TX, my wife has come to love catfish too. She orders it at restaurants more than I do.

And shrimp are the best. Scallops. Clams. Calamari. Fried seafood in all it's forms are glorious.

Carp and Drum are the true bottom feeders. No one eats those except... certain poor ethnic groups.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I love fish. My dad was big into spearfishing when I was growing up, so we'd always have fresh fish / lobster on the table every week. I just thought it was normal. Then I grew up and was like "damn, it'd be expensive to eat like this every day!"

Many years back my now-wife and I went out to dinner with a friend and his wife for his birthday. It was some SUPER DUPER posh snobby restaurant in Beverly Hills.. a place we'd never go in a million years.. but my friends Uncle was the head sommelier (wine dude) so we got our whole meal/drinks/everything comp'd (It was like a $700 meal). I had a swordfish steak that.. my God. To this day I've never had a better piece of meat (fish, steak, pork, or otherwise). It was simply transcendental. Now I am always chasing that high.

Reactions: nacho

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Everything is on a(n up to) two week delay. The last four days were likely just when people got tested. And the person who died likely did not get infected, get sick and die w/in that timeframe. Sensationalism by the "orange man bad" crowd... as usual.

What's strange is that, shouldn't people handling meat be basically working in PPE all the time anyway? Infections, bacteria, salmonella, e coli? I know I would be.