Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ooo nice! Straight to the source! Let us know what you find out..
So my buddy in Houston got back to me today. Fortunately for him, he's able to work from home. He said their peak number of covid patients per day in march was 200, while now it's around 500. He said they're having to flex spaces into new COVID wards and he's having to come up with incentive packages to entice staff to take on extra shifts. It's not pretty.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So my buddy in Houston got back to me today. Fortunately for him, he's able to work from home. He said their peak number of covid patients per day in march was 200, while now it's around 500. He said they're having to flex spaces into new COVID wards and he's having to come up with incentive packages to entice staff to take on extra shifts. It's not pretty.
I was just going to ask about your InsideMan(TM).

Interesting.. Garrison.. fuck I can't remember his username garrison99? Anyway, PCS & I talk to him on the book of Face and he lives outside Houston and he said things are getting a little hairy with people not fulfilling orders and stuff.

Would be interesting if it's mostly BLM adjacent, but with the way it spreads, it might not be so easy to tell.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Oh, if he's HR, he's probably trained to not disclose inconvenient yet relevant information like that.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Not so, apparently. Ok, so he said it's definitely skewing younger, averaging in their 30's! When they were peaking at 200 patients/day in march, it was about 100 regular beds to 100 ICU beds. Now it's 400 regular beds to 100 ICU beds... so the silver lining is that on average, the average patient is less sick than before, assuming because of younger/healthier. But they're crowding out everyone with other non-covid problems and elective medicine.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Here's a pretty sensible doctor's perspective on the COVID response:

I recommend watching this at 2x. It's still fully comprehensible, but takes half the time.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Not so, apparently. Ok, so he said it's definitely skewing younger, averaging in their 30's! When they were peaking at 200 patients/day in march, it was about 100 regular beds to 100 ICU beds. Now it's 400 regular beds to 100 ICU beds... so the silver lining is that on average, the average patient is less sick than before, assuming because of younger/healthier. But they're crowding out everyone with other non-covid problems and elective medicine.
Which I think was the big fear from the getgo.. that while this wasn't a superkiller on it's own, it did put enough people needing medical care that it had the potential to overwhelm systems that couldn't compensate.

I guess TX will be our live fire exer-cise.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I ran across this today in my feed. I put a marker at the part most pertinent to our earlier conversation about what's happening in Houston, but feel free to watch the whole thing:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I've hear Parler is picking up steam as FB and Twitter remove deplorables.
I signed up for Parler earlier this week. I don't know why exactly, but I heard it was the place for those not down with the twitter mob, i.e. where the sane-but-canceled voices go, so I figured I might as well.

Sick river pirates headed your way nacho
Nah, I'm in the big white space between knoxville and nashville. We have the healthiest pirates around!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deslock

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I signed up for Parlor earlier this week. I don't know why exactly, but I heard it was the place for those not down with the twitter mob, i.e. where the sane-but-canceled voices go, so I figured I might as well.
I'm considering it. What are your impressions so far?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It definitely feels like "conservative twitter" though. Top users are Team Trump, fox news hosts, infowars, Dinesh D'Souza, Stefan Molyneux, etc.

On one hand, I like it because these are the people being silenced/censored elsewhere, but on the other hand, it's got an echo-chamber feel to it, kinda preaching to the choir.

Eh, I'll leave it on my phone, but I'm not sure how much use it'll get. At the very least, I like the idea of poking twitter in the eye.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I actually hate Right-wing echo chambers more than left-wing... because it's all too easy to stop thinking and just go with the flow. Very few people, anywhere, on either side, really have your well being at heart. It's all about $$$ or something else they can gain. I don't trust no one!

That being said, less censorship is good, though Twitter really isn't that bad if you actually look at it. The sheer number of people allowed to complain about how terrible they are shows they're not doing it in any kind of serious manner. I think "Shitting on Twitter on Twitter" is 95% of a lot of "internet personas" strategy.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I’m of the opinion that more positives w/o more hospitalizations/deaths is a good thing. We can’t build herd immunity without people “getting it” - preferably asymptomatically. Only other option would be to let the economy burn to the ground entirely until we someday maybe have a vaccine, if we don’t starve first...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I can't find it now but there was a story out of Europe where they 'beat' it so to speak and the herd immunity idea seemed less and less a possibility. I still haven't seen anyone state IF or how long you're immune once you've recovered.

But as long as hospitalizations don't spike, we're good I think.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I got email from my kids' school yesterday, and they're going back later this month, 7/29. They do have an online curriculum that you can opt into, but it's not the same as the in-school curriculum (likely not developed in-house), and you have to commit to do one or the other for the whole academic year, no going back and forth.

Needless to say, my kids will be going back in person. There is practically no risk to their age group, and according to studies out of europe, transmission from kids to adults is pretty rare. I'll likely have to work from home to keep from exposing my parents, but that's pretty easy to do in my position.

While I don't look forward to potentially being exposed, it'll be nice to return to some semblance of "normal".

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think a good (young, without underlying conditions) immune system kills it before it can be transmitted. Anything they would transmit would be something akin to a beaten down version you'd find in a vaccine.