Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I think kids *generally* don't really get it to start with, and thus can't spread it. It's not like they have it sans symptoms and can spread it around as carriers. They simply don't get it or carry it, at least not in meaningful numbers.

Reactions: pcsguy88

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ok, 8%? Was he trying to reassure people that it was okay, or is that supposed to be bad somehow? How is this a scary scary pandemic? A nasty flu season has to be worse than that. Just sayin'.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I guess if it was 4% two weeks ago, it could be 16% in two more weeks and then 32% 64%.. 128%.. or something.

I guess we'll see.

I do know hospitals still aren't doing elective stuff, so they're staying purposefully empty "just in case". It remains to be seen if this surge in cases will have an exponential curve or not.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Gotta build that herd immunity. Death rates keep dropping, to the point where the CDC is considering dropping the "pandemic" moniker for the outbreak. By now we have the right approaches in place to keep all but the most compromised from succumbing to the virus, should they be infected, so it truly is the time to let the cure be less detrimental than the disease.

I think TN's no mask/no shutdown will ultimately be just fine. Those who are afraid can simply take the precautions that help keep them comfortable. Unlike VA, where our donkey governor is threatening to conduct undercover stings on businesses who don't enforce the mask mandates (seriously?), while our infections/deaths continue to drop except in the inner cities which continue to burn.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My county's TOTAL case count over the entire pandemic just today broke out of double digits. We're at 100 even with only 43 active cases. Our total deaths are at zero (0). More people die from pirates and cornhole accidents than this disease.

I welcome the opening of my kids' school in 14 days. The number of kids age 11-20 that have died in TN due to COVID: 0. The number of kids in Cali that have died from COVID: 0. So clearly the two different lockdown strategies have no correlation to whether or not kids get sick.

The Wuhan is dangerous for the old and sick, but I'll be damned if the world has to stop. It's hard not to feel like the whole issue isn't 97% political at this point. I would really love to peek at an alternate universe where this virus got out in a non-election year. I suspect the reaction would be supremely different. Fortunately, my kids' school district is in a town full of government scientists. They of all people will focus on the science above everything else when it comes to reopening.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think you can look at the last swine or bird flu "pandemic" for an approximation of that.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Probably Cali's infected are younger people, vs. the retirees that Emperor Cuomo and his ilk stacked up in the rest homes.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Aside from dead people being no laughing matter, I find it amusing that TN's death rate is below Kentucky's considering that their Dem governor blasted our guy for not locking down like Cali in early march. The KY gov is the moron who announced that he was going to give free health care... just to black people, as if that were legal. Such pandering nonsense. I don't know how he got elected. He really is a far-left moron.

(cue VA governor saying, "Hold my beer...")

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Right? That's what happens with good people don't show up for the elections when the GOP puts establishment candidates from outside the commonwealth up as their guy/girl. The GOP needs to get serious again with the state races. Run popular homegrown candidates that can win.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The big question now is if this big uptick in daily cases is going to translate into an uptick in deaths. We SHOULD be seeing it already (and some places are increasing).

60K/day new cases SHOULD eventually lead to 600-3000/deaths per day (1% CFR to 5% CFR).

We peaked at around 2700/deaths per day back in April, got down into the 600-700 range at the beginning of July, and is now trending up into the 900-1100/day range.

Because it takes a good while to finally die from this, things may look fine, when they're not. My bday, July 17th, was the highest new case ever.. 75K in a day. That'd result in 750-3750 deaths... le sigh.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Deaths are certainly a lagging stat. But Cali would have to lose a massive number of people to approach NY/NJ numbers. Even accounting for Quomo throwing a ton of old people to the wolves in nursing homes, it's hard to believe that they lost that many.

Our cases/day number seems to have peaked over a week ago, so we probably are a few weeks from peak death. But the numbers are so small and haphazard that it's hard to discern solid trends.

My kids start school in seven days, full steam ahead (with a separate online curriculum for those who don't want to show up). Masks and temp checks at the door are mandatory, but there is no talk of calling it off. I'm glad. The science supports going back. I don't know what some states are going to do or how far behind they're going to let their kids get. The powerful teacher lobbies in big cities are the major obstacle in blue states I suspect.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The deaths should never be at NY rates again, unless some other governor starts killing off the old and infirm and hospitals start reporting every death from any cause as COVID again. Actual rates across the board are now considered to be around .5% and have steadily dropped. Add that most of the new cases are young people and the actual mortality rate will likely be less than half that going forward.

It'll clean out a fair number of those with pre-existing conditions (diagnosed or otherwise), just like the flu does. The regular folks will experience nothing or mild symptoms.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Arrrrrgh! My kids' school system had a picnic basket of retard sandwiches and have now decided to go back part-time. Sonofabitch. The kids will be in-person two days a week (staggered half-and-half) and online the other three days. I really thought they had more sense than most of the systems that are doing this with zero scientific basis. Such utter stupidity.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It’ll be interesting to see if public school ever fully returns to status quo. Like so many things, sometimes adversity is what it takes to bring education into the 21st century. Of course if the teachers’ union has any say...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It’ll be interesting to see if public school ever fully returns to status quo. Like so many things, sometimes adversity is what it takes to bring education into the 21st century. Of course if the teachers’ union has any say...
Teachers unions are the groups fighting against opening. I know in KS all teachers are still being paid.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
They all have gov't jobs that get paid whether they work or not. Of course the teachers' unions are going to resist going back, despite there not being one single case in the entire world of a teacher getting covid from a student. Not one. It's just insanity driven by agendas divorced from facts and logic.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s impossible to know and nobody has been in school since the beginning to find out. I would look to daycare numbers to get a better idea of potential numbers.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I want some school to be the Texas of schools and just reopen so everyone else can see how it goes.

I know my wife doesn't want our kid to go to school at this point, just not worth the hassle of worrying about it, especially with the stupid modified schedule. I don't think he'd get much out of a couple hours every other day and remote the rest of the time.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
COVID (legit or otherwise): making bad situations worse all over the third world.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think it goes something like this: A person dies (from whatever cause) or is found dead. They draw blood at the hospital and send it to the lab. They get the results back on weekdays because that is when they/the lab are open for business. Viola, there are COVID antibodies in the blood sample! Cross out the original probable cause. Replace with "COVID" and record it! Send cash requisition to DC!