Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah it's wild.. those numbers are more in line with what we thought we'd be seeing.

Really seems to come down to them having bad/not enough testing kits to really get a handle on how big it actually is.

Still not seeing the exponential growth outside of Wuhan though, which is surprising.

Read somewhere that it took 40 days or so to get from 40 cases to where we are now, so it might still just be a couple weeks out.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Still such a weird pattern and spread.

Wuhan is like a wildfire, but everywhere else in China is just spot starts.

Reading that China has locked down something like 750 million people from leaving their homes. That's like double our population! Insane. I suppose something that authoritarian governments are good at.. Keeping everyone locked up seems like it SHOULD prevent exposure and spread.

But at what cost? At some point soon their economy is going to be spiraling if people can't go back to work.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don't care about the Kung Flu unless it hits my parents, but I do care about what happens when Chinese factories have not been running for 6 weeks or longer. We are about to find out unfortunately and all signs point to empty shelves at Walmart for an unknown span of time. Once people figure out shortages are unavoidable, they'll rush the stores just like before snow storms to empty out the bread, milk and eggs aisles. The difference is that they will probably only get >50% of the normal trucks to restock causing a snowballing panic.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
But what will they rush to buy? They're not going to indiscriminately buy everything just because they fear china's production has slowed down. "I might need this plastic doodad..."

We still produce the vast majority of our own food, so until that gets tight, I couldn't care less if cheap shit from china slows down. It hurts them far more than it hurts us.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Korea has also shutdown public gatherings and regional travel within the country, so I don't think that I can scream loud enough that it's time to be stocked up on consumables. I made sure everyone in my house has a month supply of personal care products and stuff like TP and paper towels. After seeing the financial news broadcasts warning everyone this morning, I think it's time to get water and damn close to hoarding food. This is not how I wanted to have a baby. :shakefist:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Chiner outside of Hubei/Wuhan is starting to report zero new cases per day.

Is that possible? I don't know actually.

If they did indeed get everyone locked down inside their house, then it SHOULD be effective for the most part. If people are not out and about, it has a very limited range to spread.

If you could lock everyone up for a month, and treat and separate those who do get sick.. wouldn't that be effective?

I don't have a ton of faith in Chiner numbers, but theoretically I guess it could be true.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Would you put it past the chinese to do that? No, you would not.

I don't for a minute believe that they have no new cases. There are probably tons of new cases, people that are quarantined WITH sick people who then get sick themselves, but they haven't been diagnosed b/c they either died, couldn't leave the house, or got turned away at the hospital.

Nothing about this is normal, and I think it's far from over. If/when china goes back to work, I suspect there will be another round of outbreaks. Imagine what this is doing to their economy! What if we just all stayed home for two months?!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Three things difficult to overcome in an outbreak situation:
1. Ignorance of basic scientifically proven procedures (hand-washing, sanitizing, avoidance of crowds, avoidance of handshaking/social kissing).
2. Ignorance of flawed procedures and beliefs (old wives' tails like going outside in the cold will give you a cold).
3. Panic, and what it causes people to do.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Yeah, people are the biggest problem.

Having this hit places without a strong infrastructure or government is going to be bad.

For all their ills, China was probably one of the better equipped places to deal with the epidemic because they CAN lock their people away and no one fights it. I wouldn't say it's an ideal solution or humane or anything good, but it's one not a lot of other places could get away with.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Agreed. Perhaps their dominance over their people can override rampant ignorance, but I still wouldn't bet on it. The genie may already be too far out of the bottle.
Their control over their people can't stop them from having festivals to live-barbecue dogs, so I seriously doubt their ability to override rampant ignorance. It's the wild west over there, just that the gov wields a big stick. But even their 26mil cameras can't delete generations of bad information from getting passed around.