Corona Virus |OT| Kung Flu Fighting

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah it's wild.. those numbers are more in line with what we thought we'd be seeing.

Really seems to come down to them having bad/not enough testing kits to really get a handle on how big it actually is.

Still not seeing the exponential growth outside of Wuhan though, which is surprising.

Read somewhere that it took 40 days or so to get from 40 cases to where we are now, so it might still just be a couple weeks out.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Still such a weird pattern and spread.

Wuhan is like a wildfire, but everywhere else in China is just spot starts.

Reading that China has locked down something like 750 million people from leaving their homes. That's like double our population! Insane. I suppose something that authoritarian governments are good at.. Keeping everyone locked up seems like it SHOULD prevent exposure and spread.

But at what cost? At some point soon their economy is going to be spiraling if people can't go back to work.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don't care about the Kung Flu unless it hits my parents, but I do care about what happens when Chinese factories have not been running for 6 weeks or longer. We are about to find out unfortunately and all signs point to empty shelves at Walmart for an unknown span of time. Once people figure out shortages are unavoidable, they'll rush the stores just like before snow storms to empty out the bread, milk and eggs aisles. The difference is that they will probably only get >50% of the normal trucks to restock causing a snowballing panic.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
But what will they rush to buy? They're not going to indiscriminately buy everything just because they fear china's production has slowed down. "I might need this plastic doodad..."

We still produce the vast majority of our own food, so until that gets tight, I couldn't care less if cheap shit from china slows down. It hurts them far more than it hurts us.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Fortunately we do not rely on Chiner for food. But, panic can cause all kinds of problems. Better to have your preparations made now, just in case COVID-19 makes significant landfall here.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Korea has also shutdown public gatherings and regional travel within the country, so I don't think that I can scream loud enough that it's time to be stocked up on consumables. I made sure everyone in my house has a month supply of personal care products and stuff like TP and paper towels. After seeing the financial news broadcasts warning everyone this morning, I think it's time to get water and damn close to hoarding food. This is not how I wanted to have a baby. :shakefist:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Chiner outside of Hubei/Wuhan is starting to report zero new cases per day.

Is that possible? I don't know actually.

If they did indeed get everyone locked down inside their house, then it SHOULD be effective for the most part. If people are not out and about, it has a very limited range to spread.

If you could lock everyone up for a month, and treat and separate those who do get sick.. wouldn't that be effective?

I don't have a ton of faith in Chiner numbers, but theoretically I guess it could be true.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Would you put it past the chinese to do that? No, you would not.

I don't for a minute believe that they have no new cases. There are probably tons of new cases, people that are quarantined WITH sick people who then get sick themselves, but they haven't been diagnosed b/c they either died, couldn't leave the house, or got turned away at the hospital.

Nothing about this is normal, and I think it's far from over. If/when china goes back to work, I suspect there will be another round of outbreaks. Imagine what this is doing to their economy! What if we just all stayed home for two months?!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Probably be here sooner than we thought. The bike-riding dick-weed in my office just came back from a trip to Spain. The virus is currently in Italy....which isn't that far away from Spain.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Three things difficult to overcome in an outbreak situation:
1. Ignorance of basic scientifically proven procedures (hand-washing, sanitizing, avoidance of crowds, avoidance of handshaking/social kissing).
2. Ignorance of flawed procedures and beliefs (old wives' tails like going outside in the cold will give you a cold).
3. Panic, and what it causes people to do.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, people are the biggest problem.

Having this hit places without a strong infrastructure or government is going to be bad.

For all their ills, China was probably one of the better equipped places to deal with the epidemic because they CAN lock their people away and no one fights it. I wouldn't say it's an ideal solution or humane or anything good, but it's one not a lot of other places could get away with.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Agreed. Perhaps their dominance over their people can override rampant ignorance, but I still wouldn't bet on it. The genie may already be too far out of the bottle.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, I've air traveled already this year and will again. When it's your time, it's your time.

That's not to say I didn't notice the sweaty Chinese dude in front of me in a line at an airport... :rolleyes:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Agreed. Perhaps their dominance over their people can override rampant ignorance, but I still wouldn't bet on it. The genie may already be too far out of the bottle.
Their control over their people can't stop them from having festivals to live-barbecue dogs, so I seriously doubt their ability to override rampant ignorance. It's the wild west over there, just that the gov wields a big stick. But even their 26mil cameras can't delete generations of bad information from getting passed around.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe these days. Part of me wants to start hoarding stuff, and part of me thinks it's just media blowing things out of proportion to sell ads.

- Oooo, it's scary!
- Flu is regularly worse. Relax.
- Ooooo, it's coming this way! I don't have a tiny paper mask to pretend I'm safe behind!
- Flu kills 60k people each year. This is nothing.
- Ooooo, life as we know it is going to end. Better stock up on shit! I'll definitely need extra bacon and WD40 during the flupocalypse!
- In a month, all this will seem silly and irrelevant, just like SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, and all the other scary diseases the news wanted to get us worked up over.
- So many new cases! Run for the hills! Keep your kids out of school! Lock the bunker!
- It's probably just the DNC establishment instructing the liberal media to distract us from the dismal set of candidates they've trotted out in front of america, and they'd rather cause a panic than admit that President Cheeto is destined for 4 more years...

I'm tired of thinking about it. I wonder if I will die faster if I just turn off the TV and let the Commie Cough come at me if it dares.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe these days. Part of me wants to start hoarding stuff, and part of me thinks it's just media blowing things out of proportion to sell ads.

- Oooo, it's scary!
- Ooooo, it's coming this way! I don't have a tiny paper mask to pretend I'm safe behind!
- Ooooo, life as we know it is going to end. Better stock up on shit! I'll definitely need extra bacon and WD40 during the flupocalypse!
- In a month, all this will seem silly and irrelevant, just like SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, and all the other scary diseases the news wanted to get us worked up over.
- So many new cases! Run for the hills! Keep your kids out of school! Lock the bunker!
- It's probably just the DNC establishment instructing the liberal media to distract us from the dismal set of candidates they've trotted out in front of america, and they'd rather cause a panic than admit that President Cheeto is destined for 4 more years...

I'm tired of thinking about it. I wonder if I will die faster if I just turn off the TV and let the Commie Cough come at me if it dares.
You live far away from people and you pay yourself. I wouldn't be worried either.

A lot of the deaths that I saw with detail were older folks. As far as I've seen, it hasn't really made an evolution to hit younger folks yet thankfully.

Iran is also still a shitshow apparently.

If only we could figure out why the death rate in the ME is so high. 🧐

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

- Oooo, it's scary!

Pretty much all the studies in all of the countries have shown it is 10-40 times as deadly as the regular flu. The "normal flu" kills something like 500,000 people per year, but that is because it infects like a billion people.

*IF* this spread as much as the normal flu does (which is hasn't, but isn't completely out of the question), it'd likely kill 20-40 million people which would be nutso.

There is no downside to stocking up for a couple weeks of supplies. Hell, living in the boonies you should already have that stashed away in case of a River Pirate epidemic. Worst case scenario is you have to plan some boring dinners to eat the shit before it goes bad.

The Trump administration has been making itself look stupid with their responses. While I no doubt thing the Left is trying to capitalize on it as best they can.. Trump/Republicans are (typically) not doing themselves any favors. Shutting down traffic with China was a smart move, but since then they've been pretty stupid.