Cosplay: good, bad and the ugly

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Wow. Nice work. Where does one get a helmet like that?
Mine is heavily modified. Like, heavily. More padded foam inside. Cooling fans (need better ones and a better battery pack), and custom paint weathering. To give you an idea JUST how different google Titanfall Vanguard Edition and look at the stock helmet. Night and day difference.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Ah. So it's something you can buy. I didn't know if it was a 100% custom job. Maybe some EVA foam work to a regular helmet. I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen some insanely impressive EVA work.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
The whole titanfall cosplay ran me $1,250 start to finish. Tools, 3D printed props, the like. It is highly realistic though. Movie quality, I would say. Removable magazines with rounds/bullets in them. Plus the glow factor. Soldering and wiring that was a SOB.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I wasn't heavily into cosplay, but I had a few costumes. The expense was one of the reasons that drove me out. Plus the fact that I was only wearing most of them once and then had to find a way to store them. I just no longer had enough interest. And then if I wanted to sell a costume, I had to take a huge loss, and that's IF I could find anyone to even buy it. I had a kick-ass Predator costume, I really went all out on it, lots of working features, lights, sound. I sold it for like 1k when it was worth $1500. I paid shipping so my actual profit was maybe $900. After that I was like "nope, no more".

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
I wasn't heavily into cosplay, but I had a few costumes. The expense was one of the reasons that drove me out. Plus the fact that I was only wearing most of them once and then had to find a way to store them. I just no longer had enough interest. And then if I wanted to sell a costume, I had to take a huge loss, and that's IF I could find anyone to even buy it. I had a kick-ass Predator costume, I really went all out on it, lots of working features, lights, sound. I sold it for like 1k when it was worth $1500. I paid shipping so my actual profit was maybe $900. After that I was like "nope, no more".
I've been trying to go to every con worth going to in my area to my money's worth out of it.

IMG_20180806_004150_964.jpg IMG_20180806_004324_150.jpg

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
That would have probably helped, but I live in an area were there are not many cons. Well, I say that, but my brother in law and his wife go to cons all the dam time, so I guess there are plenty, I just didn't feel like driving to all of them.

Also, at least in regards to the Predator costume, I needed help getting that costume on and moving around, which usually meant my wife. If we BOTH go to a con, we would also have to take our three kids...which I'm sure they would love, but that gets expensive. Add to that my wife has to help me AND watch our three kids....it's not an easy situation on her end.

And that Predator costume was all sorts of uncomfortable. After the few times I wore it, I just couldn't get excited about wrestling it again.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
That would have probably helped, but I live in an area were there are not many cons. Well, I say that, but my brother in law and his wife go to cons all the dam time, so I guess there are plenty, I just didn't feel like driving to all of them.

Also, at least in regards to the Predator costume, I needed help getting that costume on and moving around, which usually meant my wife. If we BOTH go to a con, we would also have to take our three kids...which I'm sure they would love, but that gets expensive. Add to that my wife has to help me AND watch our three kids....it's not an easy situation on her end.

And that Predator costume was all sorts of uncomfortable. After the few times I wore it, I just couldn't get excited about wrestling it again.
They really need to do family tickets or groupons for cons. I have suggested this for ages to make it more financially feasible for families. I think that also would have helped. I do get you on the uncomfortable bit. My uniform and knee pads rubbed my legs raw. I had blood blisters for 2 weeks straight. Also when the fans weren't up to snuff so my helmet would fog and be a pain in the ass.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, most dude cosplay looks pretty awful. A husky pop culture character that's not supposed to be husky does not look cool. Girl cosplay is so much better and easier. All they have to be is skinny. Dudes have to be muscular and tall to be accurate most times. Stupid patriarchy drawing male comic characters all hunky! :shakefist:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, well, I imagine there is a fair amount of 'dude cosplay' where costumes/armor/etc can cover up not being in shape if you're creative.. the Predator isn't really one of them.

Girls.. yeah.. just being skinny and/or having big boobs means you're securing a cosplay win in most eyes.