Dead celebrities |OT| Knock knock knocking on heaven's door

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
His last movie was League of Extraordinary Gentlmen. Which was such a bad experience for him that he retired from acting.

Not sure what health issues he has had I vaguely remember something recently but since he was a private person who knows if it was even accurate.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I would not want to be the guy that tries to replace Alex, as he is synonymous with the show. It's funny how we get attached to game show hosts, especially the good ones. In my head, I still can't imagine Drew Carey trying to fill Bob Barker's shoes or Steve Harvey replacing Richard Dawson. I miss Wink Martindale. Tic-Tac Dough, FTW!

But Trebek was one of a kind and the classiest guy in every room he entered. He will certainly be missed.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
One of my friends is the biggest Jeopardy fan, she's watched it forever it seems like, I think it was something she did with her parents as a kid/etc. She's pretty broken up about it, but I guess we all knew it was coming.

She will absolutely RIOT if they fill the slot with a diversity black/woman hire though.

I honestly think they should just retire the show. Maybe bring it back in 5-10 years or something, but he deserves to let it rest.

I guess the final Trebek episode will be aired on Christmas Day :crying:

• Sad
Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I would not want to be the guy that tries to replace Alex, as he is synonymous with the show. It's funny how we get attached to game show hosts, especially the good ones. In my head, I still can't imagine Drew Carey trying to fill Bob Barker's shoes or Steve Harvey replacing Richard Dawson. I miss Wink Martindale. Tic-Tac Dough, FTW!

But Trebek was one of a kind and the classiest guy in every room he entered. He will certainly be missed.

I wasn't even aware that Drew Carey was hosting TPIR until I saw him doing it. He actually did a pretty good job. Not as memorable as BB, but solid. I was used to seeing Carey on Whose Line is It Anyway, so I already considered him a solid host. Did he ever host Family Feud? I feel like I've seen him on there at some point, pre-SH.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I think they'll let it rest for 2-3 months while they find the right person and get a few episodes in the can, but no way it just "goes away" for any length of time. It's a ratings juggernaut for a syndicated show.

Quite frankly, the new host needs to be an unknown. It needs to be the right kind of person... not talking about race or gender, but the personality and temperament required for that specific job.

Anyone watch Jay Leno's Garage? Donald Osborne the car appraiser, THAT's who should be auditioning for the jeopardy jorb.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I wasn't even aware that Drew Carey was hosting TPIR until I saw him doing it. He actually did a pretty good job. Not as memorable as BB, but solid. I was used to seeing Carey on Whose Line is It Anyway, so I already considered him a solid host. Did he ever host Family Feud? I feel like I've seen him on there at some point, pre-SH.
Oh, I have nothing against Drew Carey, and he does a very nice job... but he's no Bob Barker. Just like Rod Roddy was no Johnny Olson as the TPIR announcer (yes, I was an avid watcher as a kid). Change is bad. Fuck change.

But seriously, check out Donald Osborne... the guy is perfect for Jeopardy. The voice, the pronunciation, the demeanor. Yes he's black, but that would not make him a diversity hire, as the guy is awesome and a qualified worthy successor. He's very successful in his own car-centric appraisal career, so I doubt he'd be interested, but he would be a great fit.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Seems like a decent choice. I have no experience with him besides watching part of the above. Nice Viper BTW... :thumbsup:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Sad to see such a fearless pioneer pass away. Honestly though, it's truly amazing that he lived to pass of natural causes. A real American hero.

:salute:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
This one hit hard.
Tanya Roberts

Kerry Vincent - Food Network

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
You never watched That 70's Show ? I enjoyed the show more in syndication than I did when it ran originally. But I've rewatched the whole series mutable times. It's a great show to just play in the background while doing other stuff.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I had that exact same reaction when it first aired. Screw the 70's. I don't want tie-dyed, hippie, pot-smoking jibber-jabber.

But truth is, it's a damn good sitcom that happens to be set in the 70's, but that aspect doesn't dominate the show. It's just a classic kids-coming-of-age sitcom. Aside from the Simpsons, it's my go-to show to turn on when I want background noise. I don't have to intently watch, I've seen every episode so many times I can quote the lines. You should give it a shot.

It's also nice in that it was originally shot in high-def, looooong before that was common. It's crazy to think they had the forethought to shoot in 1080p in 1998! So it doesn't look nearly as dated and shitty as other shows made in that time. There is a beautiful blue-ray box set that I ripped to my media server. Video-quality-wise it looks generations ahead of contemporaries like Friends, Seinfeld, King of Queens, etc.

What's funnier, I find myself quoting Red (the hard-ass dad) when dealing with my own kids. I have to work hard to tone back my inner-Red.

R996bd14c24676b87f19ffb90baa0ad91.gif

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Nice! It's a running gag on That 70's Show that Midge has a great rack. I can now confirm...

I'll have to toss it on the "maybe when I'm dead" pile of things I want to watch that I never have time for.. that does sound like a fun time.

I get it. There are just too many good things to watch. I still have never seen an episode of The Office, Parks & Rec, Game of Thrones, The Wire, The Shield, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc. I have a massive "when I'm dead" pile. But this is a show I go back to like comfort food, just stupid fun. I rewatch the whole series every 2-3 years.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

I shall commit to watching her Beastmaster rack in mourning, again.

Reactions: Videoviper