Deal with the devil

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
"Why the f%$k did they have me come to this cesspool of a urban dump to talk? I see the briefcase is here, now where is......"

"Who's there?! Don't move or I'll air you out!"

"It would be in your bessssst interest to put that down before you get hurt hunter"
"Don't tell me what to do. Who are you?"

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
"It's not for you to worry about who I am, just what I want. I have a few "problems" I want you to take care of. Just lower your weapon hunter."
"Why should I help someone that I don't know?"

"Because my name has no relevance. What I have to offer is all that matters"

"You're right, I don't need a name. I know all of these guys right here"

"Exactly. That is the down payment. Upon completion of the job you will get the rest. There is a cell phone in there that you will be contacted by when the time is needed for you. It will be in the comfort of the jungle so I figured you'd be perfect for the job. Do we have a deal?"

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks Jim. It's tough to not get a glare on the background every now and again. Damn glossy photo paper. :mad:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That city skyline works really well. I am mixed on that figure still. I just have no idea how to use him well. He's kind of odd out of the jungle, but he's odd in the jungle, too.

I would like to try printing on matte paper (i.e. like a desktop), but our home printer doesn't print larger than letter, and my work computers are laser and only print on gloss with a shiny ink... Have you tried a clear coat? Or would that ruin/wrinkle it?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I like it, but must wonder how he walks around a city like that. ;)

Is he from ET?

Nobody can see him. His in camo. Dduuuhhhhh. :rolleyes:

ET? Dude, he's totally Predator. Like, for realz.

Most of the time I spray the pictures with a matte finish Rex but didn't with this since I had it up. If you do it lightly it doesn't ruin anything.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Thanks Jim. It's tough to not get a glare on the background every now and again. Damn glossy photo paper. :mad:

Just add an evenly lit blue or green screen from behind the dio and later replace it with the cityscape using Photoshop or something like it. By using this approach you can easily go online and choose from a wide section of cityscapes rather then just rely on one or two posters that you have to buy. You will also have a better time tracking down a background image that will line up with your shots too. Not only that but this allows you the opportunity to scale it down to match the scale of the dio itself. I did this a lot in my line of work in the past. Certainly comes in handy especially if the shot is in motion.

RED

MY M-1 DOES MY TALKIN'
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
South of Atlanta---North of Macon
Hey brother!!! Nice pics---and I really like where the story is headin'!!!;)
I tried the printed pics as a background years ago!!! If they were glossy I did a poormans job of pureing sand over the pic---it takes the glar off!!! Keep in mind that I was doing beach-jungle shots so it didnt matter if the background looked dusty---it was always out of focus!!!---RED---

Starfighter

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Just add an evenly lit blue or green screen from behind the dio and later replace it with the cityscape using Photoshop or something like it. By using this approach you can easily go online and choose from a wide section of cityscapes rather then just rely on one or two posters that you have to buy. You will also have a better time tracking down a background image that will line up with your shots too. Not only that but this allows you the opportunity to scale it down to match the scale of the dio itself. I did this a lot in my line of work in the past. Certainly comes in handy especially if the shot is in motion.

Now that is a cool tip. Thanks.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I've tried the green screen Bee. Didn't have the best luck with it. I could never get the green hue off of the figures. I even tried other colors to dull it an still no luck. I may give it a shot again sometime.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Well he is a pretty cool figure but his range of motion for his head is nothing. The camo pattern is kind of silly too but he has a little function. I took an exacto knife and cut in between the dreads to give it a bit more mobility and to be able to put the back pack on.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
I've tried the green screen Bee. Didn't have the best luck with it. I could never get the green hue off of the figures. I even tried other colors to dull it an still no luck. I may give it a shot again sometime.

Just make sure the screen is far enough back not to interfere with the dio. Also keep in mind that the screen doesn't have to be overly lit either. Too much light and the color is simply washed out and you'll most likely get color bounce. As long as its somewhat evenly lit then your good. Another thing to watch out for is the the semi reflective sheen on the G.I. Joe figures your using. By keeping the light on the screen low while pushing back the screen itself then the problem shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes I had to resorted to using back lighting while using various colored gels to offset the color bounce from the screen. The screen also needs to be non reflective too. You can also use flat green/blue spray paint and paint over a solid board that won't wrinkle on you during shooting. Make sure to use an approperate color that isn't found anywhere on the dio. For example if your doing a jungle scene which makes use of numerous shades of green just go with the blue screen. If blue or green doesn't work go with another color that does work. Another thing to keep in mind if your figures are wearing the same color as the screen but are far enough away from overlapping the screen in the shot then you can easily isolate that part out during the selection process. Hope this all makes sense.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I smell a Beeavision greenscreening tutorial. :)

Although I've sometimes found that using a green screen for a jungle dio or similar setting could benefit from using green instead of blue, but only of you're really comfortable in using clipping paths in Photoshop and have patience. I may do that myself for my jungle dio because I don't have a continuous back drop that is big enough to capture the entire shot.

Another option would be to do a partial backdrop and photoshop in the rest...

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Although I've sometimes found that using a green screen for a jungle dio or similar setting could benefit from using green instead of blue, but only of you're really comfortable in using clipping paths in Photoshop and have patience. I may do that myself for my jungle dio because I don't have a continuous back drop that is big enough to capture the entire shot.

Another option would be to do a partial backdrop and photoshop in the rest...

The rules can always be broken as long as the method works in achieving the perfect shot you need within time and budget. If your not limited by budgets and deadlines the sky is the limit when it comes down to establishing the same effect in any given shot. Of course whatever method is the easiest or quickest for that matter tends to be the most often path taken.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
sweet pics MB...you did a great job of getting the glare out as i couldnt find any at all...

and this may seem a bit racist, but that figure seems more appropriate in an urban enviroment than the jungle...hmmm, now that i say that, even vice versa woulda seemed racist

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
You racist bastard, Eddie... :p

Anyway, I think what I find I like most about this is that the background isn't in focus, providing a sense of distance.