Disney Star Wars: How do you guys feel about it...?

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
For real though, you can read back on the numerous SW threads we have here when the movies came out.

Summary..

Most people liked Force Awakens, it wasn't great, it was very familiar, but it was a nice step back into the SW world.

Most people disliked The Last Jedi for most of the normal reasons people didn't like The Last Jedi.

Most people (who actually went out and saw) SOLO REALLY LIKED IT BECAUSE OMG ITS MY FAVORITE ONE. A lot of people didn't go though (CAUSE THEYRE DUMB) and wanted to wait and see.

Personally, I'm in a 'wait and see' mode on IX, but Solo was so damn good I think I'll be there day 1. JJ Abrams will also make an entertaining movie, which in the end is more important to me than anything else.

Also.. you have to work really hard to get an infraction here, like spammer hard.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
And I'm okay with all that. What I have is issues with people who claim no political or slant post, ban a person as a "permanent ban" and then they come back two days later because they are the "correct ideology." Then turn around and hand out infractions like candy because you have a different opinion. That's grade A bullshit.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I didn't like TLJ because:

It felt too far off a 'normal' Star Wars movie.
It didn't do what I wanted them to do with a sequel (also TFA problem)
It had too many nonsensical parts.
Canto Bite was retarded.
It left me not wanting more Star Wars (my biggest complaint).

I don't care much, in general, about the SJW aspects, insofar that if they could have included them _AND_ made a good movie, I don't think I'd mind.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I very much enjoyed RO. I think those last 5-10 minutes have a LOT to do with that because if I'm being honest, it suffers from some of the same SJW issues as the main line films. The other films? Aside from Solo (that I boycotted for completely different reasons than literally everyone else) I disliked them. They of course visually looked great, but the SJW "White men evil! Non-white men good! Females bestest everrrr!" crap ruined my enjoyment along with the spiteful treatment of the OT characters. They clearly hate the OT majority white male fandom, and they WANT them to know it.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Both of you have valid points. The worst part of all is what they did to Luke Skywalker. I would list the complaints, but the article at the bottom of my original post does it. They turned him into Jake Skywalker. Not Luke. I blame this on nihilism and post modernism movie making. They hate the hero's journey and archetypes. Kylo's quote best describes their goals and ideals: "forget the past, kill it if you have to." And they've done just that. They continue to make things of lesser and lesser quality. I loved clone wars and rebels was okay, but Resistance is a dumpster fire. As for the official movies, I liked Rogue One. Everything else? Not in the slightest. (The Farce Awakens and The Last Joke) They have betrayed everything that made Star Wars great. I don't think these peojple even understand it to be honest. This comes from someone who played thevideo games, read the books, and read the comics. Those enhanced the movies...they weren't completely dependent upon them to tell a story. Which the newer movies suffer from terribly.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I completely forgot about Rogue One (how dare I!). It was my favorite until SOLO came ou, and I still really like it, but its a heavy enough movie that I don't find myself rewatching it a lot. It felt very much a part of the Star Wars universe. I didn't think it was any more "SJW" than the OT. We never saw evil women or minorities with the Empire, only with the Rebellion, and I don't never worried about that. I did like that SW Rebels (and books in old canon) introduced evil women as part of the Empire.

My biggest problem with the Sequel Trilogy is they did a shit job of world building in the movies. How/what/when/why/where is the First Order a thing? Last we saw, Luke & Co were celebrating bringing DOWN the Empire.. now they're back? You have to read books and dig into things to figure it out, and it just seemed like they could have done so much better. It's why I like the prequel and OT timeline stuff, they don't need to do a lot of explanation because we know (more or less) what to expect and what is going on. I really liked Rebels for this reason.

Like I said, wait and see on IX. I am hoping it somehow makes TLJ better. Maybe whatever they do in IX will make you look back at TLJ and go "ohhhh, ok". That's the best I can hope at this point.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
JJ won’t fail us. He was in a tough spot bridging a 30yr gap while avoiding anything like the prequels and so just fed us what we were all familiar with while bringing in the new peeps. Unfortunately Rian destroyed every bridge created and now JJ has to come cleanup that mess and save Star Wars yet again. Ron Howard found the formula of how to make a fun SW movie relevant to both groups of fans, so hopefully JJ can learn from that.

Rogue One is my favorite, but Solo sure is the most fun of the 10 films so far.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I consider myself a fairly big SW fan, and I was generally "meh" about RO and I haven't seen Solo yet. It's on my to-do list. VII was generally good, VIII was less good. I'll see IX, probably in the theater.

Overall, they're just movies, and I don't get super worked up about them good, bad, or otherwise. I only collect toys from the original trilogy, and as far as I know, those remain *mostly* unchanged.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Overall, they're just movies, and I don't get super worked up about them good, bad, or otherwise. I only collect toys from the original trilogy, and as far as I know, those remain *mostly* unchanged.
WHAT IS WITH ALL THIS SJW ARTICULATION IN THE NEW STORM TROOPERS HUH? WAS 5 POA NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU? NEED EXTRA ARTICULATION TO BETTER KNEEL LIKE YOUR BOY KAEPERNICK HUH? SJW SCUM!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
SCREAMING ON THE INTERNET FOR NO REASON IS FUN!!! :p

My kids really like SW. They like the prequels and eps 8 & 9 way more than I do. I'm very much an OT guy, but not nearly as much as I was when I was a kid. Unfortunately, the Lucas edits, prequels and latest Saga episodes have all diminished the originals as well in my opinion. I am a fan of Rogue One and do look forward to seeing Solo, but not so much that I ran out to check it out. I wasn't boycotting it, but really didn't have much of a desire to run out to see anything SW after ep 9.

Johnson is an obvious douche and should never been given the helm. It's obvious as well what the attitude is toward the potentially strong male characters in the current franchise. All have been diminished at every opportunity to lift up lesser characters. And the franchise is worse for it.

We are currently below Droids/Ewoks musical TV special land in my opinion.

Luckily there is Marvel out there, blasting away on all cylinders.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
To be fair, the shitty Star Wars Battlefront II (2017 or 2018?) Establishes how the First Order rises to power. But all of that comes from the thing Disney hates most. Expanded Universe Material.

Once you see how many millions of neo-stormtroopers and hundreds of Capital ships the First Order has, you clearly realize how fucked the heros in The Last Jedi are...after being reduced to a single Millennium Falcon.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The last twenty years of Star Wars media has ranged from good (the various animations) to complete horseshit (prequels, most of the sequel content). Lucasfilm's Head-twat-in-charge's agenda has done so much damage that I'm actually starting to dislike the Orginal Trilogy, which shouldn't even be possible.

They had a chance to make great sequels, and they've mishandled it on just about every level imaginable. The mere thought of what could, nay, what SHOULD have been fills me with rage. Jesus, I'm not even an SW fanboy, it's just how badly they've fucked this all up.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
The last twenty years of Star Wars media has ranged from good (the various animations) to complete horseshit (prequels, most of the sequel content). Lucasfilm's Head-twat-in-charge's agenda has done so much damage that I'm actually starting to dislike the Orginal Trilogy, which shouldn't even be possible.

They had a chance to make great sequels, and they've mishandled it on just about every level imaginable. The mere thought of what could, nay, what SHOULD have been fills me with rage. Jesus, I'm not even an SW fanboy, it's just how badly they've fucked this all up.
Makes you wonder just how bad things must be to make you hate the OT...? I do think the PT is better than the ST however - I'll take Jar Jar over Tico any day... purely because he didn't stop a good idea that could have changed the direction of an attack. I'm talking about when she stopped Finn from ramming his speeder into the assault cannon.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, dude had a chance to go out like a man and make up for previous cowardice, and she ruined it. [Insert joke about how Asian women can’t drive here]

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
I've seen every SW movie on opening day. It's a tradition. So naturally I have toys, shirts, cups, all that crap. I am a fan. The new movies? I think they're just OK. Rogue One was super cool, though. When I first heard Disney was buying the franchise, I was horrified. But a friend pointed out that they took an idea, basically a park attraction with no premise, and made some pretty decent movies out of it (Pirates of Caribbean). They surely wouldn't put some chowder head at the helm to take it some weird direction and piss off the fans, right? I don't know, man. It seems everything Disney spits out now is SJW preachy. I've come to expect it. I got 5 kids, the oldest a senior, and the youngest in kindergarten. Anyone else in my shoes knows Disney has been preachy a long time. The prequel trilogy movies were good stories, just horrible acting by a few major characters. They did have their moments, though. The new trilogy movies may be annoying with the subtle SJW messages, but nowhere near as annoying as Lucas's constant tinkering with the original trilogy. I'll take the original releases over the "special editions" any day. Actually, all of the changes to Empire were OK, except changing Boba Fett's voice from Jeremy Bulloch's to that fuckin soy boy who played Jango. Lucas even made changes to THX-1138. Sheesh what's next? Jawas scrambling out of the way of the drag race in American Graffiti?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
zodiacflash - I don't know if I would call Temuera Morrison a soy boy by any means. He's half (or close to half) Maori, which is kind of neat. And the accent definately plays a part in defining not only himself and the clones, but also anyone from Concord Dawn (where a large section of the Mandalorian people hail from and have similar accents). The Republic Commando books by Karen Traviss did a lot to flesh out the Mandalorians, Clones, and Jango Fett. They gave a people culture... before Lucas basically fucked Karen over in a book deal gone wrong and made her stuff not be accepted by the canon prior to selling to Disney. And then... they made what they did in the Clone Wars TV show about the Mandalorians. Which sucked. Bad. The only "accurate" bit in there was the Death Watch. Everything - pacifism included... pure slap in the face.

But alas, let's end on a good note. To me, THIS is Star Wars. What the Force, Jedi, and Sith mean.

I know it's long, but please give it a watch. I promise it's worth your time. This is some of the very best content that ever had the Star Wars name on it.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Ok. Well the guy may very well be a badass in real life, but the parts in Empire where he spoke sounded a little wimpy... Just sayin. Anyway, I guess overall my take is, I don't HATE the new movies, but they do make me roll my eyes a bit.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
AHA you made me google it and I was wrong. Bulloch only played Boba Fett in costume, but someone else did the voice. Then Lucas changed it to Morrison. And now Lucas is laughing at my confusion.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Star Wars - My take

the Good
Even the bad movies aren't THAT bad. I think like many movies overzealous fandom can ruin anything.
As much as I want to love Star Wars as an adult, it still is a kids movies, but one with an adult 2nd audience. Which is why it has lasted as long as it has.

Unlike most fans I enjoyed TPM, because I didn't have ridiculous expectations. Can't say I still love the film but like many of the series its got its good & bad. But I enjoyed most of 2 & 3.

As far as the OT, well lets be honest, I barely remember seeing them in theaters, & Showtime was a scambled signal. So the OT is more about the toys & the adventures I created, which I believe is the real heart of Star Wars.

Extended media movies/books/comics are usually 50/50 & I don't blame Disney for getting rid of most of it, since it really creates a no win situation for them. But they can feel free to include or re-adapt whatever make sense to do so. Thrawn I'm looking at you!

If you were to continue Star Wars after Lucas, Disney is really the best place to grow it. However Disney also has a few issues of its own.

The Bad.
Disney is great at marketing Princesses to young girls, Which unfortunatly they have chosen to do with Star Wars a traditions Boys toy line. Now its not like girls don't like Star Wars, they were just never the main audience.

TFA - Disney in many ways tried to play it safe, unfortunatly since TFA is a retread of ANH, even seeing the movie for the 1st time, you kind of knew what was going to happen. Disney also made the same mistake that New Ghoustbusters made, in that it spent a lot of time reminding the audience of the previous versions without fully embrassing the new characters, So in a way the new characters are playing second fiddle to OT characters who are mostly only doing cameros.

Rouge One - While I enjoyed R1 the 1st time, it really is a movie that has gotten better as time goes on. (partly because other SW offerings are not doing any better)

The cartoon series I watch once maybe rewatch a few episodes but I can take them or leave them.

TLJ - 1st SW film I really diddn't know if I liked it coming out of the theater. There are parts I liked. (Throne room scene) & definately parts I didn't, storyline issues with timing, glaring plot issues & a general ignoring of any clues/plot from TFA. The dismissal of any threat the 1st order might actually impose.

& as others said a general not caring about wanting more SW.

Solo- I did not see it, not because I was boycotting it, like Amazing Spiderman 2 I really couldn't get any excitment for this movie so I look forward to seeng it on HBO/Netflix.

As for IX, I will wait to see before judging, but my gut feeling is I will not be seeing it on opening weekend, (Basically putting it in the Solo camp.

Now the real impact for Disney, is they are building a Star Wars park, a park I no longer have any interest in seeing so my vacation dollars won't be going to Disney neext year which was the plan. I suspect I am not the only one.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Lucas should have just stopped with Return of the Jedi. I get that he had more he wanted to tell, but in the time between ROTJ and Phantom Menace....too much time had passed and his story writing/directing style had changed drasticly.

Then Disney got ahold of it and the only reason they are in it is for the cash cow.

Some things I like abouth the recent movies, some things I don't, but none of them newer movies really capture the old feel. I did like Rogue One very much and Solo to a lesser degree, and I like the two of those much better than Force Awakens or Last Jedi. Any more spin-offs I'll go see unless they start phoning those in as well. Anything directly linked into the main story (New Hope - Last Jedi) , I'm getting to the point I might not go to see them in the theater.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Know what's funny as fuck though? They CAN'T put the OT or PT on the streaming service because they don't own the rights. In the words of Rian "Roundhead" Johnson, "HAHHAHHAHAHAHA!" the earliest they could get them if I remember correctly is like 2025.
Not if the Fox merger completes soon.. then they'll own it all.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Let's ask the guy who worked for a TV programming department.... Hey Video Viper!

For our purposes streaming via computer & broadcasting through TV are essentially the same thing.

There are different types of rights used to create secondary $$$ for TV & movies.

One of these is broadcast rights which allow a TV station to broadcast a film or TV series within a given period of time. Turner bought the TV rights for the Star Wars & have exclusive rights to broadcast the movies until 2024. There are most likely are set times when the movies can & can not play. (To avoid over saturation of a movie)

That is also why if you watch a national broadcast of a local channel some shows may either be blocked out or substitued with different low cost shows (LOVE BOAT) Because even though the local channel can broadcast the latest episode of show X, It is not allowed to do so in areas where other stations have paid for those rights.

Movies are usually bought in a packages for rebroadcast, 1 or 2 hit movies combined with lesser movies. Each time the movies are broadcasted the original production company makes more $. This is also how many TV/movie bombs have found new life & become cult classics. Because these cheap movies can be shown almost for free.

Now Turner paid A LOT of money for all the Star Wars movies, so they plan to make their money back via holiday marathons along with the commerical revene this creates. (The can basically rent out all the commerical space as opposed to sharing commerical space with national networks or the original TV production which may include their own commericals within the movie's runtime)

Disney of course now wants to stream the movies, but they don't have the rights to stream so they can either:
1. Buy back the rights which will be very expensive, given what Turner paid originally.
2. Make a deal to stream the movies, amending the turner contract, but neither would be able to broadcast when the other has rights.
3. Wait it out & retain the rights in 2024.

Disney wants it both ways but in the end they need to honor their contract with Turner or risk no one buying their movies/TV shows/media which may include several things you did not know were Disney. (Most of ABC broadcasting for example along with other shows produced but shown on other networks)

On the off chance nobody subscribes to Disney's streaming service they also risk a large portion of secondary media removed from traditional revenue sources.

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
Let's ask the guy who worked for a TV programming department.... Hey Video Viper!

For our purposes streaming via computer & broadcasting through TV are essentially the same thing.

There are different types of rights used to create secondary $$$ for TV & movies.

One of these is broadcast rights which allow a TV station to broadcast a film or TV series within a given period of time. Turner bought the TV rights for the Star Wars & have exclusive rights to broadcast the movies until 2024. There are most likely are set times when the movies can & can not play. (To avoid over saturation of a movie)

That is also why if you watch a national broadcast of a local channel some shows may either be blocked out or substitued with different low cost shows (LOVE BOAT) Because even though the local channel can broadcast the latest episode of show X, It is not allowed to do so in areas where other stations have paid for those rights.

Movies are usually bought in a packages for rebroadcast, 1 or 2 hit movies combined with lesser movies. Each time the movies are broadcasted the original production company makes more $. This is also how many TV/movie bombs have found new life & become cult classics. Because these cheap movies can be shown almost for free.

Now Turner paid A LOT of money for all the Star Wars movies, so they plan to make their money back via holiday marathons along with the commerical revene this creates. (The can basically rent out all the commerical space as opposed to sharing commerical space with national networks or the original TV production which may include their own commericals within the movie's runtime)

Disney of course now wants to stream the movies, but they don't have the rights to stream so they can either:
1. Buy back the rights which will be very expensive, given what Turner paid originally.
2. Make a deal to stream the movies, amending the turner contract, but neither would be able to broadcast when the other has rights.
3. Wait it out & retain the rights in 2024.

Disney wants it both ways but in the end they need to honor their contract with Turner or risk no one buying their movies/TV shows/media which may include several things you did not know were Disney. (Most of ABC broadcasting for example along with other shows produced but shown on other networks)

On the off chance nobody subscribes to Disney's streaming service they also risk a large portion of secondary media removed from traditional revenue sources.
Well I'm a noob here. So I don't know what I don't know haha. As for the other members...☠

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Thanks for that explanation.

I wonder if they can work it so if you subscribe to their service, you get "X" discount off buying the Star Wars movies digitally through Movies Anywhere or something. Make it seem like its a bonus for subscribing.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
I don't tell anyone about my real life & very little about my past life, makes real life easier that way. :cool:

I have no doubt Disney will make it seem like a bonus for subscribing then turn around & make it a need to subscribe.

I also worked for URGE music (MTV) & found out rather quickly if you buy media online it will only last as long as the service since you don't actually own anything, you have a licence to stream similar to computer software. Same applies to cable, Apple & other online sources. In short just because you buy a movie on Amazon does not mean that you will be able to keep it for 20-25 years. You or spouse change accounts due to computer hack, death or said service changes it services in the future, then you could lose everything "purchased"

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa, FL
The biggest problem is internet speeds honestly. So many different problems related to streaming and such because of that. Going forward, I think infrastructure needs to be a concern for the US. All of ours is 15-30 years outdated. And most internet is still copper wire...I'm lucky and have fiber optic.