Elite Force Chaos (Private Military Contractor)

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014

Full Review:
That Figures: REVIEW: Elite Force Chaos (Private Military Contractor)

As ever when looking at ''cheap'' toys, it's very easy to get the impression that they're good simply because they're affordable. That is not the case with the BBI Elite Force line and certainly isn't true of Chaos.

The sculpt work is great, with some fantastic up-close detail and a great overall look. From the folds in his uniform to the straps on his holster and facial detailing, the figure's sculpt is, quite simply, superb and stands up well beside any recent offering from Hasbro or Mattel at this same scale. There's a great realism and lifelike quality to the design and the sculpt does a fantastic job selling that this is, indeed, a real-world military figure.

As with all the Elite Force figures, the T-crotch articulation is a disappointment. It's a shame BBI couldn't come up with a way to give us a little more movement here, as being able to ''widen'' Chaos' stance would add a completely new dimension to his pose-ability. But when you look at other figures of a similar scale and/or price-point it becomes impossible to argue too hard about the articulation and it's a fairly minor annoyance you'll quickly get over.

Add to this a neat (enough) paint app and a couple of great accessories and the result is a figure that I'm sure all fans of military figures and toys will really dig. No, he isn't as articulated as a GI Joe and yes, the ''bolted on'' pieces would benefit from being removable accessories but these are all very minor points. For kids the figure is solid enough to survive a vigorous play session and pose-able enough to allow a range of options during said session. For older collectors the figure's looks and range of articulation are more than enough to allow him to stand beside your other 1:18th scale military toys and (in some cases) even put them to shame. It's a win-win.

Unless you're the most die-hard GI Joe fan (to the point of excluding all other toy lines) or you refuse to buy anything with less than 32 points of articulation, there's no sane reason why you shouldn't have Chaos (and indeed, his cohorts) in your collection.

A great addition to the Elite Force line that will appeal to all military figure enthusiasts.

Full Review and Pics:
That Figures: REVIEW: Elite Force Chaos (Private Military Contractor)

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I like the figure, but it irks me that he comes with the MP5 and not the M249 his loadout is set for.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I like the figure, but it irks me that he comes with the MP5 and not the M249 his loadout is set for.

Yeah, I mentioned in the (full) review that the MP5 feels a little wimpy. I know it's something the buyer shouldn't have to do, but I'd imagine a lot of collectors will have a few spare weapons in their collection they could give to him...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, and he's outfitted for an assault rifle. I forgave it, though, because he as a dump pouch on his belt.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Yeah, and he's outfitted for an assault rifle. I forgave it, though, because he as a dump pouch on his belt.

I wonder if they just have an allocated ''poundage of plastic'' for each figure to keep costs down.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think it's like fleet-wide CAFE standards. Some get a lot, some get a little and it all averages out.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Yeah I noticed in the few figures I've bought that there are some with more (and larger) gear than others. I figured (ha!) it was a cost-juggling exercise.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The helo driver comes with the M249...which is funny because he'd make more sense with the MP5.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
He original came with the SAW (and a laptop, amongst, other stuff). Should have come with an M4, but it's not something that a big deal to fix.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
He original came with the SAW (and a laptop, amongst, other stuff). Should have come with an M4, but it's not something that a big deal to fix.

Part of me wishes they came with the original gear (from your comment and others I've read, they had a bunch of cool stuff that's been dropped) but I also like to display my figures ''fully geared up'' (as I hate trying to remember which spare weapons go with which figure) so the reduced amount of accessories doesn't bother me that much.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm always for more gear, as you never know when it will come in handy, but most of his would be useless if you're displaying him inside the cockpit of a helo.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I'm always for more gear, as you never know when it will come in handy, but most of his would be useless if you're displaying him inside the cockpit of a helo.

That is true. With the NBC Troop, for example, I'd have liked a couple of other weapons/accessories, as he'd be great for Army Building but the same, standard weapon makes that a little repetitive.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, that's how the military works. You don't get to go running around with whatever weapon you want. Granted more than one M203 in a squad is probably overkill.

SpecOps often excepted.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Eh, that's how the military works. You don't get to go running around with whatever weapon you want. Granted more than one M203 in a squad is probably overkill.

SpecOps often excepted.

Oh I know, but I mean it would be cool if they came with, I dunno, Geiger Counters/Chemical ''Sniffers'' or another bit of equipment, or the PCM had a sidearm, just so you could pose them with a bit more variety or, in the case of something like that.

It's a minor point but it would just add a little variety to avoid it looking like the same guy over and over.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wish they had used the old working holsters. A Geiger counter would have been a great accessory.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks for the review!

You're welcome!

I'm sure most people here who were considering the Elite Force figures for the first time had already made up their minds but hopefully seeing a few extra pics and getting a bit more info may help those who are undecided.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Great review. I liked this fig. Although the hips are a little bit grr but I can use his parts on a Joe and create a very cool fig.

Back in the day, our typical loads were M4 carbine, 9 mags +1 in weapon....M9, 3 mags +1 in weapon. That was our loadout for MH-53 crew. Our PJs, combat controllers, and other AFSOC personnel would carry similar loads but modified to the mission parameters as needed. I don't recall ever seeing anyone slinging a SAW in my group but larger ones may have.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
He's in the 5 pack, too. Just with different colors and name.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Crew Chief still wouldn't normally carry an M249. I did read an article about a 'Hawk pilot who used a 259 Para, so it's not without precedence.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Great review. I liked this fig. Although the hips are a little bit grr but I can use his parts on a Joe and create a very cool fig.

Back in the day, our typical loads were M4 carbine, 9 mags +1 in weapon....M9, 3 mags +1 in weapon. That was our loadout for MH-53 crew. Our PJs, combat controllers, and other AFSOC personnel would carry similar loads but modified to the mission parameters as needed. I don't recall ever seeing anyone slinging a SAW in my group but larger ones may have.

Thanks. I'm getting used to the hips as I buy other, non-Joe/MU toys and the articulation here - even with the hips - is above and beyond anything else at the price.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Is this a single carded figure? I don't think I've seen him!

Yeah, single-carded. I think he's popular as he's the most ''generic soldier man'' in the line.

In the 5-pack he's sporting - IIRC - a dark jacket with a mid-tan/almost green vest and fatigues. He's the one on the left if you look at pics of the pack. It's surprising how different he looks with a lick of paint.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Ahhh, that would explain why I haven't seen him as a single figure...I too would like to find him.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Great review. Thanks! Plenty of BBI figures left on the pegs at the Target nearest my house, and I know it's been restocked a time or two, so I guess they're selling well.

It was mentioned in an earlier post by darthdrey758 that he was irked because Chaos comes with an MP5 instead of the M24 that his "loadout is set for." I'm guessing that his "loadout" are the two large pouches on the front of his vest; large enough to accommodate the rounds for the M249???

I never served in the military so I'm not clear on some of the "lingo" here on the board when referring to ammo pouches, etc. Sorry!

I really wish that the G.I. Joe figures came with the pouches and vests like these BBI figures. Sure would make them more realistic.

Is there a decent website that illustrates and explains the gear, pouches, etc., worn by U.S. military personnel when going into combat?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Great review. Thanks! Plenty of BBI figures left on the pegs at the Target nearest my house, and I know it's been restocked a time or two, so I guess they're selling well.

It was mentioned in an earlier post by darthdrey758 that he was irked because Chaos comes with an MP5 instead of the M24 that his "loadout is set for." I'm guessing that his "loadout" are the two large pouches on the front of his vest; large enough to accommodate the rounds for the M249???

I never served in the military so I'm not clear on some of the "lingo" here on the board when referring to ammo pouches, etc. Sorry!

I really wish that the G.I. Joe figures came with the pouches and vests like these BBI figures.

Is there a decent website that illustrates and explains the gear, pouches, etc., worn by U.S. military personnel when going into combat?

right here on the 118th brother. Just start a new thread and post some pics with the ones you have questions on and you will get the right answer from someone if not many members here.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Thanks, Meddatron! Appreciate that.

Actually a short explanation of some of the current BBI figures' pouches and what they're used for wouldn't be too shabby.