Elite Force LT (Army NBC Troop) Review

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014

FULL REVIEW HERE:
That Figures: REVIEW: Elite Force LT (Army NBC Troop)

Final Thoughts
I could have picked any one of the figures from the Elite Force line and my core impressions would have remained the same, so before I go onto highlight some of LT's positives (and negatives) I'm going to quickly comment on the line as a whole.

The Elite Force line suffers from some quality control issues - specifically when it comes to the paint app. Some figures will be fine, others not so much. I'll admit, I was unable to find an acceptable app on one figure I was considering this weekend and, as a result, I passed on making a purchase. But then again, I was also unable to find a GI Joe: Retaliation Joe Colton that didn't look boss-eyed until very recently, so it's not like Hasbro is above such problems, either.

On a positive note, the level of articulation these figures sport is highly impressive. Sure, the T-crotch is a pain but it's not an insurmountable problem and, as I mentioned above, unless you're going for Ninja high-kicks or crazy acrobatics, it's really not going to be an issue. And when you consider that both Mattel and Hasbro seem bent on going back to the Old School 5 PoA set-up, it's refreshing to see a line that's so well-articulated.

And then there's the pricing. I know some collectors will make the mistake of assuming the $5 price tag is an indication of quality (or a lack thereof) but nothing could be further from the truth. The sculpts are the equal of anything I've seen from Hasbro or Mattel, the articulation (again, T-crotch aside) is virtually on par with what GI Joe was offering just a few years ago, the paint apps (when they're done right) are good and each sports a good range of accessories and weapons, all of which work well with the figure. It's an impressive accomplishment for sure.

As for LT, in terms of design he's one of the most striking and unique-looking figures line the line-up. And yet paradoxically he's also one of the simplest in terms of sculpt. But I like that BBI hasn't tried to make this real-world character into something he's not. There are no laser-powered Ninja blades or turbo helicopter backpacks here. This is a realistic design based on uniforms and equipment used by the military right now. For some who prefer their figures with a little more oomph they may seem bland but for collectors of accurate military toys then this line will be most welcome.

Yes, LT has a couple of faults, chief of which is the very flexible weapon he comes packed with and his fairly generic paint work. But neither are insurmountable issues and can both be fixed. And sure, the T-crotch articulation is a flaw the line is saddled with but we've already mentioned it (repeatedly) and so I'm not going to criticize LT for being part of the toy line he's a part of.

Overall then, LT is a great example of a very cool line. If you're a fan of military toys and you thought th real-world styling of Pursuit of Cobra was GI Joe's finest moment then you should definitely check-out these toys and - more importantly - this figure. I think you'll like what you find.

Proof that you can do great figures at a low price. Hasbro and Mattel take note.

That Figures: REVIEW: Elite Force LT (Army NBC Troop)

Last edited:

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Thank you sir. When I look at this figure, I think Zombie containment or elimination. But my mind always go that route first.

Same here. I wonder if it's the zeitgeist that has us all convinced the zombie apocalypse is imminent...!

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Good looking figure, would buy a few for fun.

He's definitely a good army builder. That masked head makes him generic enough to repeat use but he's also interesting enough to look good on the shelf.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
His feet are too small. :grumpy:

It's actually a bit of an optical illusion. I just did a sole-to-sole comparison with another figure from the line (who looks in-proportion) and they're the same size. My guess is it's the baggy pants that do it but yeah, it does look odd.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Are the front pouches part of the torso sculpt or do they look like they can be removed?

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Are the front pouches part of the torso sculpt or do they look like they can be removed?

The only removable part is the backpack. A lot of the Elite Force figures have ''stuck on'' pouches or holsters. At least I assume they're permanently attached, as they don't feel like they'll come off without a fight and I don't want break anything...!

EDIT: I just double-checked the figure and the pouches are part of the sculpt.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The only removable part is the backpack. A lot of the Elite Force figures have ''stuck on'' pouches or holsters. At least I assume they're permanently attached, as they don't feel like they'll come off without a fight and I don't want break anything...!

EDIT: I just double-checked the figure and the pouches are part of the sculpt.

Thanks. Most of these guys have separate pouches from the actual torso sculpt. For the most part they are permanently attached...but with a little persuasion, and some hot water, they will come off.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks. Most of these guys have separate pouches from the actual torso sculpt. For the most part they are permanently attached...but with a little persuasion, and some hot water, they will come off.

Yeah, I noticed that on the private contractor guy - the pistol holster looks like it would come off if you gave it a bit of a workover. In this case though the pouches are - at least as far as I can tell - part of the torso sculpt.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The Navy Seal in the five pack with the black top has some great pouches, but they're part of the sculpt as well. Ah well.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
It's actually a bit of an optical illusion. I just did a sole-to-sole comparison with another figure from the line (who looks in-proportion) and they're the same size. My guess is it's the baggy pants that do it but yeah, it does look odd.

Nah... they're too small. Look at the figures hands. Are hands typically as big (or bigger) than feet? Not that I've ever seen. I wear 13/14 in combat boot, and there's no way my outstretched hand is as long as my boot. LT's feet look like he strapped the NBC covers right over his socks.

I've noticed a lot of figures, from various lines mind you, tend to have small feet by comparison. It's a true pleasure when I find boot feet that are better proportioned for customs. Case in point... try putting the Renegades Cobra trooper boots on the shock troopers lowers. Now that's a boot!

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
The Navy Seal in the five pack with the black top has some great pouches, but they're part of the sculpt as well. Ah well.

Is that the same sculpt as Chaos? I can't recall which figures are which in the 5-pack (and I don't have it to check...)

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I've noticed a lot of figures, from various lines mind you, tend to have small feet by comparison. It's a true pleasure when I find boot feet that are better proportioned for customs. Case in point... try putting the Renegades Cobra trooper boots on the shock troopers lowers. Now that's a boot!

The funny thing is, LT's feet are the same length as the Renegades Cobra Trooper's feet. But yeah, I take your point about them looking like he's wearing the covers over his socks.

Maybe he was enjoying a nice foot massage when the chemical strike came in and didn't have time to find his boots. :D

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I'm down for a few. And it looks like my soft-goods custom will fit in too...

Very cool!

Yeah, of all the Elite Force figures I've sene he looks to be the most army builder-y of them all (unless you count Cannonball from the 5-pack...)