Episode I - The Phantom Menace (3D!)

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So I went to this today.. one of my friends is a big SW fan and had been begging us to go see this, even though we all knew how bad it was going to be.

$15 later..

Meh.

It's about what I remembered. Would have been better without Jar-Jar, at least without his stupid slapstick gags for sure. Almost everything he did was groan worthy.. but kids still seem to enjoy his antics. There really is no accounting for taste.

I shit you not, the new Yoda was perhaps the best looking, and best acting character in the whole movie. It just looked light years ahead of everything else (Not surprising as it was made what, 11 years later?). I really enjoyed every scene with Yoda in it. I hated that scary puppet.

The plot was so aimless, sadly that did not change. One thing I loved about the prequels was all the intrigue and secrets Palpatine had in orchestrating his take over.. literally gave me boners seeing it all fit into place.

It's like Lucas had this great idea to set up the original trilogy, but felt compelled to add cute and "funny" gags to everything so it'd sell to the kids. If you removed all that fluff, I think the prequels would be a LOT better. Lucas himself focused more on the better stuff in II, and especially III and I think they got exponentially better.

The acting was wooden, the dialogue was stiff.. etc etc.

The 3D was pretty weak, though overall is was subdued but nothing came across in a bad way. Curious how the other ones will be.

Hate as I may, hate as I might.. I still ended up smiling, seeing Star Wars tonight.

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
It would have been better if they hadn't made episode 1 at all. They should've started Anakin as a young adult or teen or whatever and went from there. Episode 1 set up the whole pace and, well, starting point for the next 2 movies.

And child actors should never be a forefront in any script, what so ever.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
I told you that movie in 3D sucked.

As for yoda, they fixed that for the blue rays, and put him in for this movie. I agree it is an improvement over that ghetto looking puppet they used. But alas, it doesn't save the movie from such horrid, flat acting.

I swear they just read from the script as they filmed. One part that can prove no emotion is during the pod race, and they are looking for Anakin and he starts to come around the corner and Padme "shouts" here he comes" but instead of being excited and yelling it, she just sort of just says it like it's nothing.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I took my son to see it thinking it was the most kid friendly one, he was bored half way through. What a waste of $30...

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I took my son to see it thinking it was the most kid friendly one, he was bored half way through. What a waste of $30...

Did I mention I was bored all through? Although Maul was a bad ass!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So you like Mark Hamill Yoda, eh?

I don't think I'll see it again. I saw it on the big screen the first time, and as I recall the only thing worth remembering was that Maul was awesome and criminally misused, and something was fucking hot about Amidala in that final celebration scene.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
the gungan/droid battle wasn't too bad and could have been a nice epic battle IF they removed Jar Jar's antics and made it a little longer.

I still to this day, despise Anakin's "what's this button do, oops, I blew up the droid's main control ship"

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. the slapstick comedy and happenstance victory was the worst parts for me.

In EPIV-VI they had to WORK for their victories and struggle.. and in the end you felt like they actually accomplished something.

In EPI, even with the droid/gungan battle.. there was no sense of dread or worry or.. anything. Just a bunch of comically blue balls rolling around with Jar Jar killing droids with one attached to his foot *facepalm*.

Of course the Darth Maul fights were awesome, and I enjoyed every scene with Palpatine in it (seemed like the only actor actually acting).

It's a pity we have to wade through so much crap to find the few nuggets of awesome in the movie.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, they made a Yoda puppet that looked like post-crash Luke.

They at least rectified that abomination in Eps. II and III.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
Oh yeah for sure. original trilogy muppet yoda > episode 1 muppet yoda.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They realized no one wanted to see this garbage again, 3D be damned.

Actually, I think they're postponed so Georgy Pordgy can focus all his malfeasance on the sequel trilogy.

Last edited: