Facebook Fueled Anti-Refugee Attacks in Germany, New Research Suggests

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Long read, but informative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world/europe/facebook-refugee-attacks-germany.html

(Link to the actual paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3082972)

Less important here is the content (Unless you're an immigrant in Germany, I suppose). But the context is fascinating.

This story is about the way Facebook is being used to help get people to commit violence towards immigrants in Germany. The details on whether or not immigrants should be there or whatever is another discussion.

I'd wager to bet the same tactics etc are equally useful against other groups (Republicans? Whites? Etc) in the US or elsewhere. Facebook creates echo chambers where you are not really expecting them. Those echo chambers then amplify the loudest voice, regardless if its right/true/good/etc. Once you see enough of that behavior around you, you start to normalize it and think its okay.

In real life we probably all have small echo chambers with friends & family, but we are forced to interact with others outside that circle on a daily basis as part of life. For people who spend almost all their time online, they don't have to ever see a conflicting opinion. Eventually they probably find a way to ignore any real-world input and craft their own narrative.

We already discussed how none of us actually know anything about anything since we weren't there.. but this takes it a step farther and lets you craft 'reality' into anything you want, with people lapping up whatever you're telling them if you're a Facebook "influencer".

It's crazy to think how easy and prevalent this is. There is an almost foolproof way to reach those dumb people who exist everywhere, and then weaponize them to various degrees. Even if you just get them to share a story, then you've reached X number of more people.

I can see this type of thing as being responsible for the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" we see so much. People see people freaking out online 24/7 over Trump, so they assume everyone in real life is doing the same. Media/news alone isn't enough to do this, as that's been going on for-ever.

Worth a read.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm ghosting facebook. I have an account, but I deleted most of my profile, deleted all likes, and turned off every tracking button, no targeted ads, no connection to my cell phone, didn't have any apps connected, and left only about 100 friends. And I only log in about once a month, using a browser used for nothing else, so they can't track my browsing history.

Sure, I could just delete my account and walk away, but it's nice to use facebook for it's rudimentary surface purpose.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I can see this type of thing as being responsible for the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" we see so much. People see people freaking out online 24/7 over Trump, so they assume everyone in real life is doing the same. Media/news alone isn't enough to do this, as that's been going on for-ever.
This kinda ties into that. There is DEFINITELY a concerted effort to undermine EVERYTHING Trump does. We can see it without any confirmation. But this "Confidential Memo on Fighting Trump" spells it all out explicitly. It's also long, and I haven't read much, but wow. Their fight to regain power knows no bounds. They are PISSED that they lost control.

EDIT: Oh wow. Instead of just the link, it embedded the entire pdf!

"We will fight, every day"