Florida School Shooting

Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
I served as a assistant resource officer thru the sheriffs office for 3 years and this was my biggest fear. We got lucky and was able to stop 2 "incidents" that were just in the planning phase. Myself and the other officer were both on the SWAT team and would run drills alot. I just hope the body count isnt what different news agencies are hinting at. My heart goes out to everyone there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sounds like he has a history of showing his guns on FacialBook, as well as visiting "gun friendly" sites.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami
I served as a assistant resource officer thru the sheriffs office for 3 years and this was my biggest fear. We got lucky and was able to stop 2 "incidents" that were just in the planning phase. Myself and the other officer were both on the SWAT team and would run drills alot. I just hope the body count isnt what different news agencies are hinting at. My heart goes out to everyone there.
body count is 17. two died outside the school, one near where the shooter was captured, two died at the hospital and twelve died inside of the school. He pulled the fire alarm to get victims out apparently. He also used an AR15.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
He was 19, he was free and clear to buy a rifle, unless he's got a criminal record I haven't heard about.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Cruz was adopted as an infant, but he had been living with the family of a classmate after the sudden death of his adoptive mother late last year. His adoptive father died in 2005.
In an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, an attorney for the family that had taken Cruz in for the past few months said Cruz was “depressed” following his mother’s death but he had been going to therapy.
The family is still “shocked,” he said, that Cruz would allegedly engage in mass violence.
“They indicated they saw nothing like this coming,” Lewis said. “They never saw any anger, no bad feelings about the school.”

They were aware that Cruz was in possession of a military-style assault weapon, he said, which two law enforcement officials tell ABC News was legally purchased by Cruz within the past year from a federally licensed dealer. They insisted that it be locked in a safe.
“He brought it into the home and it was in a locked gun safe,” Lewis said. “That was the condition when he came into their home that the gun was locked away.”

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean he didn't check any of the boxes that would currently stop something like this really.

Sure the FBI should have dug a little deeper.. but commenting on a youtube video is hardly grounds to detain someone or remove their right to bear arms.

The question becomes how do you stop something like this from happening? It's 21 years old for handguns, 18 for rifles. Expand that to 21?

I don't know. It does feel disingenuous to do nothing though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I mean he didn't check any of the boxes that would currently stop something like this really.

Sure the FBI should have dug a little deeper.. but commenting on a youtube video is hardly grounds to detain someone or remove their right to bear arms.

The question becomes how do you stop something like this from happening? It's 21 years old for handguns, 18 for rifles. Expand that to 21?

I don't know. It does feel disingenuous to do nothing though.
Boy, that's a tirade for another day. This shit is a symptom, not the disease itself.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, it's not really for another day. Another day is just another jackhole shooting up his school.

I'm all for gun rights, but this is just getting stupidly silly at this point. The old arguments are wearing thin. "Oh but a killer will find another way if he's determined!" Which, sure, I think is also true, but then you find how he did that and fix that problem.

Someone posted the timeline:

I mean, you have about 3 minutes of sustained shooting. You're not going to stop that without anything outside dumb luck.

A teacher with a gun isn't realistically going to be able to respond to this during the chaos. That is if the said teacher is even in this building or floor at the time of the shooting. Arm all the teachers? Maybe? You're still going to lose a few kids before the good guys can get bullets on target. Same thing for armed school security.. what are the odds they'll be in the right place at the right time?

School lockdowns? Sure. I suppose that makes sense. But how far do you expand that? Turning everything into a locked down prison isn't really a great solution for the people stuck in there. I wouldn't like it (though I'd like it more than getting shot I suppose).

Once he has the guns & ammo and is committed to this, I don't see a way this doesn't end in him able to kill people (other than dumb luck like I said above.. ie magazine jams, teacher bumps into him and subdues him, etc). 3 minutes! He clearly stopped himself, maybe he jammed or ran out of ammo.. but then bolted and had a soda! He should have just stayed at Wal-mart I guess.

How do you stop assholes from getting guns while still preserving the right for non-assholes?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, it's not really for another day. Another day is just another jackhole shooting up his school.

I'm all for gun rights, but this is just getting stupidly silly at this point. The old arguments are wearing thin. "Oh but a killer will find another way if he's determined!" Which, sure, I think is also true, but then you find how he did that and fix that problem.

Someone posted the timeline:

I mean, you have about 3 minutes of sustained shooting. You're not going to stop that without anything outside dumb luck.

A teacher with a gun isn't realistically going to be able to respond to this during the chaos. That is if the said teacher is even in this building or floor at the time of the shooting. Arm all the teachers? Maybe? You're still going to lose a few kids before the good guys can get bullets on target. Same thing for armed school security.. what are the odds they'll be in the right place at the right time?

School lockdowns? Sure. I suppose that makes sense. But how far do you expand that? Turning everything into a locked down prison isn't really a great solution for the people stuck in there. I wouldn't like it (though I'd like it more than getting shot I suppose).

Once he has the guns & ammo and is committed to this, I don't see a way this doesn't end in him able to kill people (other than dumb luck like I said above.. ie magazine jams, teacher bumps into him and subdues him, etc). 3 minutes! He clearly stopped himself, maybe he jammed or ran out of ammo.. but then bolted and had a soda! He should have just stayed at Wal-mart I guess.

How do you stop assholes from getting guns while still preserving the right for non-assholes?

Sadly I agree. There has got to be a way to keep guns out of unstable 14 to 22 year olds... I mean the Vegas guy completely worked the current system and most certainly should have been paid a visit after the 50th gun purchased and now this 19yr old was known by everyone and the FBI as being unstable walks out with the exact tool to carry out widely known rants. I’m ready for treating a gun exactly like owning a car. Licensed, taxed, insured? Something that makes you have to act like an adult to get one.