General Gaming |OFFICIAL TOPIC| Gaming the System

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I could have sworn we had a general gaming talk thread.. but lord help me, I cannot find it, so here we go!

Anyone playing anything lately?

I usually go in long spurts where I don't play a damn thing. I catch up on TV shows and movies or fuck around on my phone in my free time, but can't be assed to actually boot up a game.

THIS HAS CHANGED!

I saw that a strategy game came to Xbox Gamepass this month.. STELLARIS: CONSOLE EDITION! (also on pee-es4) It's included with Gamepass so why not.

Holy moly I am hooked! It's a "4X" type of strategy game.. think Civilization but in space. It was originally a PC game, but they did an admirable job porting it to the console. There is a TON to learn and figure out.. and I'm still not all there.. but it's pretty fun controlling a fledgling stellar empire.

Each game seems to be randomized, so you never know what you'll get in regards to other aliens, galaxy layout/etc. Highly recommended!

Also, it has a killer synth-type soundtrack (Think Mass Effect combined with the movie Oblivion)

Really listen to them all, they're great 'space-ish' music that kind of go with anything.

Also, I've been playing Clash Royale and Gears POP! on my phone lol

So what is everyone else playing?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Which risk do you play? Before there was an official, my son and I play what used to be "Drisk", but now I think it changed the name to "Border Siege". It was about the only good clone for a long time. Now there seems to be dozens of risk wannabes.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I use the official RISK now. They finally put out a version that plays well, has tons of maps and all the settings can be customized. It's so good I even bought the full version and some extra maps.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Risk on a computer is a godsend since you can get thru a match in about 30 minutes. The analog version could last an entire day with all of the damn counting at the start of everyone's turn.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So hooked on Stellaris.. I can't put it down. I start a Galaxy and get decently into it, realized I learned something new, and want to start all over. It's randomized, to a degree, so each time you start it's fresh.. though the game basics remain the same, so you can learn to do it better than the time before.

Right now I think I'm at one of the "Endgame" events, a giant parasitic extragalactic alien force has landed and is gobbling up the sectors at an alarming rate. Need to find a way to unite all the remaining Alien races to try and beat it back.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Until there’s something worth my interest coming to the latest GhostRecon, I’m playing a mobile Final Fantasy game called War of the Visions. It’s basically a money grab version of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I think outside of the recent remake, FF12 was the last one I played. I liked the knight designs in that one. The last one I really enjoyed playing was FF9.

I greatly prefer the tactical RPG so much more. It just feel like a next level chess match. Final Fantasy Tactics was my favorite FF game just because of the battle system. When Tactics Ogre got redone and ported, I didn’t realize how much FFTactics was basically a modded version of that for simpler people.

Anyways, this mobile game can be fun but there’s so much of the built in constant luck drawing, endless grinding, and endless carrot sticking, that it doesn’t really feel like a true tactical rpg.
For instance. I couldn’t play until I drew cards for a party. So I did a free card draw and ended up with 4 highly capable characters, half of whom I find out are in the story, later on, as antagonists. I miss starting with a ragtag group of squires and alchemists battling grunts and badasses.

Anyways, I spent too much time talking about it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I haven't really played anything for the last month.

I am still hopeful there will be something good coming out soon, but in reality I haven't the time or energy to really devote to a big long game. I want an 8-10 hour really good campaign.

Reactions: Giga Bread

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I would hope the buttons are not as recessed as they appear to be. Who wants to be feeling around to find your buttons in the midst of being blasted?