Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The sync drones now.. you have to craft or buy them, so it's typically not something you can reuse over and over again without rearming in the middle of battle. I'd hope they'd add back in regular sync shot.. but to be fair.. it made the game SUPER easy to cheese. I like it, of course, but you could be patient and take out a whole base that way since the AI could make "impossible shots" all the time.

Like PCS said, we did co-op for like 4 or 5 hours, and it was fun. A lot of the stuff is different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different for difference sake.. which.. *I* wouldn't have made those choices, but it's not ruining the game either.

The "gear level" seems to just be some sort of way to slow your progress, since you're not really getting any better stuff as times goes along. The different tiers of gear/weapons do have better bonuses.. but the standard damage/etc remains the same throughout.

Micro-transactions aren't a problem. I'd prefer they didn't exist.. but they're not game breaking in any way.. if you want to be an idiot and spend money buying the "ALL THE SCOPES!" pack for real money.. be my guest. You can buy them individually with Skell Credits.. or you can just find them in the world. The only questionable stuff is relating to the GHOST WAR PvP stuff and balancing between payers and non-payers.. but I don't play PvP so it doesn't bother me.

The camo stuff IS annoying though.. especially since so much was available off the bat in Wildlands. Hopefully they fix that or come up with a better solution. I had a Woodland camo outfit unlocked for me at launch, so I've been using that. Also annoying you have to get weapon camo AND gear camo.. it's not 1 thing anymore. If I had to guess, they thought this was a good way to keep up engagement so people stick around trying to get new camo through events/etc.

I played solo a bit as well, I think I'm at about 20 hours total right now. Once you get the mechanics and changes down, it's fun. It IS lonely without the AI chatter, but it's still fun to be strategical and take down an outpost/base/etc. You really can't take much damage usually so you got to actually try and be tactical most times. PCS and I got rek'd like 5 times in a row because we were engaging patrols right outside a Wolf base.. oops!

I feel like it's very much a solid 7/10 game, with potential to get better.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
After several hours going lone wolf I have to say playing without your squad makes it a sterile experience. I really miss the banter and them saving my ass on occasion as opposed to the 20 different grunts and groans recorded for this game.

I hate the gun system. HATE. IT. I’m in the middle of a war and do not have time to worry about selling or scrapping guns for parts. It’s just so out of place in a Tom Clancy game.

Other than those two complaints I am enjoying myself. It’s still the same game as Wildlands once you strip the nonsense away.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Oh yeah, the AI is pretty bad and I do not understand why. Can’t they just use the logic from Wildlands? Collision detection with ground boulders is laughable to the point I saw a rock with a stork head and wings flapping and squawking as if it was flying.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I shot down a helo.... let me correct myself. I blew up a helo and it became a burning chunk of dead bodies, lighting up the sky over a lake. It was the closest thing to romantic we'll ever get in this game.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The camo problem is the same with the ghille suits. Sure, you can get the leggings, but you have to buy the torso covering with microtransactions. If they pop up as a battle reward down the road, fine. But right now we all look like Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks at peganfest in Dragnet.

As for the gun system. There would have been a smart way of doing it that adds to the survival challenge, gives a little more context to the setting of it being a high tech environment while not pissing all of us off. I would have preferred just getting "parts" if they were instituting a crafting system. I can deal with getting parts to repair your weapons.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
There’s also a lot of unseen bugs. I first noticed a skill I had that showed resources on the HUD would occasionally stop working. I started thinking about it and it seemed like percentage perks were disappearing in game. I have the hill and anti stumbling perks and at times it’s like I’m running parkour and other times I’m roll down a hill just for looking down. Sometimes, I can take a drone out easily with the perks, other times, I don’t dent it.

Also, do not do a faction mission or regular mission without seeing the rewards displayed or else you will not get them. I’ve lost a lot of battle rewards because of that.

Speaking of rewards. Camos in mission rewards display, never say if it’s for gear or just a paint, but I’ve also noticed the pattern doesn’t match. All of mine show the digital tiger, and none of them are.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I got stuck in a couple of glitches. One, I had taken down a base, killed almost everyone, and talked to an (i) for intel and somehow got stuck in the dialog tree and couldn't exit or do anything. I had to close the game and restart.. which meant I had to re-take down the base of course. Not a huge issue, just a time waster.

There is definitely weirdness going on though, it needs polish for sure. I've noticed a lot of the text is clearly not written by a native English speaker. Ubisoft is French, so I get it.. but come on, hire an American to proofread.

Here is a cool interactive map: Interactive Map by SwissGameGuides

I think the GOLEM ISLAND in the North East is where the RAID takes place. The island covered in cloud to the East is likely going to be DLC? The map size is pretty decent, it looked smaller than Wildlands, but in practice it seems somewhat similar.

I've officially hit 1 day, 1 minute of playtime. Gear Level 91. XP Level 22. Panther Level 8. 20% Main Mission Completion. 4.95% world discovery.

It's fun, which I guess is what ultimately matters. Sneaking around, taking down a base, blowing shit up.. it's fun. It *IS* lonely (ronery) though without the squad banter. Even stupid stuff like them calling out a bad guy, or whatever.. it made it feel immersive. Also, the Island just feels so.. empty. At least so far, all you run into are bad guys. Bad guys, everywhere! Occasionally you'll have a couple of yahoos trying to fix a bike or a drone or something, but otherwise it's all-baddies, all-the-time. Wildlands at least gave you the facade of a living, breathing world.. you had people going about the day, traffic.. etc. It's not horrible.. it just makes things feel much emptier than they used to I guess.

Gear level.. It's fine I guess. I just collect shit and then every now and then go through and see what I have, disassembling or selling off the extra stuff. Upgrading your guns is fun too, so you're at least on the lookout for higher quality stuff to take apart to upgrade your gun further. Ultimately it's just a fluff addition at best, and a way to slow your progress at worst. I don't think it was needed, though it does make it so killing random bad guys has some benefit, whereas in Wildlands it was kinda pointless to kill everyone after a while.

I really think the biggest issue I had with Breakpoint is the narrative. Once it gets going, it's a little better.. but the start is just so.. I don't know. Uninspired? I like like a prologue mission or briefing or something would have gone a long ways towards making you sorta care about what is going on. As it is now, they kill Weaver (from Wildlands) right in the beginning and it's just an "oh" kind of moment. Something as simple as a mission onboard the USS WASP, where you get a tutorial on the gear, class, etc systems.. have some short talks (reminders of who is who) with your team.. a briefing explaining WTF you're actually doing there and why they sent *30* Ghosts to investigate a ship sinking and only *4* to take over Bolivia.. all of that would have made the opening mean a lot more since you now have some context to things. I dunno.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I got stuck in a couple of glitches. One, I had taken down a base, killed almost everyone, and talked to an (i) for intel and somehow got stuck in the dialog tree and couldn't exit or do anything. I had to close the game and restart.. which meant I had to re-take down the base of course. Not a huge issue, just a time waster.

There is definitely weirdness going on though, it needs polish for sure. I've noticed a lot of the text is clearly not written by a native English speaker. Ubisoft is French, so I get it.. but come on, hire an American to proofread.

Here is a cool interactive map: Interactive Map by SwissGameGuides

I think the GOLEM ISLAND in the North East is where the RAID takes place. The island covered in cloud to the East is likely going to be DLC? The map size is pretty decent, it looked smaller than Wildlands, but in practice it seems somewhat similar.

I've officially hit 1 day, 1 minute of playtime. Gear Level 91. XP Level 22. Panther Level 8. 20% Main Mission Completion. 4.95% world discovery.

It's fun, which I guess is what ultimately matters. Sneaking around, taking down a base, blowing shit up.. it's fun. It *IS* lonely (ronery) though without the squad banter. Even stupid stuff like them calling out a bad guy, or whatever.. it made it feel immersive. Also, the Island just feels so.. empty. At least so far, all you run into are bad guys. Bad guys, everywhere! Occasionally you'll have a couple of yahoos trying to fix a bike or a drone or something, but otherwise it's all-baddies, all-the-time. Wildlands at least gave you the facade of a living, breathing world.. you had people going about the day, traffic.. etc. It's not horrible.. it just makes things feel much emptier than they used to I guess.

Gear level.. It's fine I guess. I just collect shit and then every now and then go through and see what I have, disassembling or selling off the extra stuff. Upgrading your guns is fun too, so you're at least on the lookout for higher quality stuff to take apart to upgrade your gun further. Ultimately it's just a fluff addition at best, and a way to slow your progress at worst. I don't think it was needed, though it does make it so killing random bad guys has some benefit, whereas in Wildlands it was kinda pointless to kill everyone after a while.

I really think the biggest issue I had with Breakpoint is the narrative. Once it gets going, it's a little better.. but the start is just so.. I don't know. Uninspired? I like like a prologue mission or briefing or something would have gone a long ways towards making you sorta care about what is going on. As it is now, they kill Weaver (from Wildlands) right in the beginning and it's just an "oh" kind of moment. Something as simple as a mission onboard the USS WASP, where you get a tutorial on the gear, class, etc systems.. have some short talks (reminders of who is who) with your team.. a briefing explaining WTF you're actually doing there and why they sent *30* Ghosts to investigate a ship sinking and only *4* to take over Bolivia.. all of that would have made the opening mean a lot more since you now have some context to things. I dunno.

The first Raid was supposed to be at launch but they delayed it temporarily. Probably has bugs too. They figured since you have to be at gear level 150 and coop with three others, there’s no rush to throw a buggy thing at launch. It’s suppose to open soon. There’s new raids with the scheduled DLCs down the road. The preview made it look like you were fighting a custom behemoth with different weapons on an active volcano.

From a story and mechanics POV, I think there’s a lot all of us would have done differently. I think I actually care about Walker right now and he’s the villain capping Weaver.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
For sure, my friend and I were saying we were siding with Walker last night in the couple of story missions we did. He's the only voice actor to really do anything memorable. The Skell & Fox guys.. I mean I guess they play the Asperger Nerd to a tee.. but it's annoying as hell in a freaking Ghost Recon game.

It really feels like an RPG where you're the big HERO come to save the land from all forms of villainy.. large and.. uh.. small. I got a mission to give this guy shit to make fish hooks. FISH HOOKS. Nomad is wandering around an island, defeating bad guys, and picking up shit so this random Homesteader can make.. fish hooks. Okay.. I got another mission to investigate a "mysterious noise" that was scaring some locals. SCOOBY NOMAD DOO IS ON THE CASE! Turned out to be some rascally robots causing a commotion, and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the meddling Ghosts!

It's fine.. filler content.. but whatever.. but it just makes the story tone feel so OFF. Oh we're avenging our super good friends who are dead now, at the hands of one of our own but first.. FISH HOOKS! I dunno. I felt like Wildlands had a really good narrative and structure where you knew the basics of why you were there (or so you thought) and what you were supposed to do (dismantle the cartel). I get that they're trying to be sorta cagey here with the story, but you at least need to property setup the MAIN STORY before you swerve into unexpected twists.. since right now those twists just seem as plausible as anything else I've seen so far.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
For sure, my friend and I were saying we were siding with Walker last night in the couple of story missions we did. He's the only voice actor to really do anything memorable. The Skell & Fox guys.. I mean I guess they play the Asperger Nerd to a tee.. but it's annoying as hell in a freaking Ghost Recon game.

It really feels like an RPG where you're the big HERO come to save the land from all forms of villainy.. large and.. uh.. small. I got a mission to give this guy shit to make fish hooks. FISH HOOKS. Nomad is wandering around an island, defeating bad guys, and picking up shit so this random Homesteader can make.. fish hooks. Okay.. I got another mission to investigate a "mysterious noise" that was scaring some locals. SCOOBY NOMAD DOO IS ON THE CASE! Turned out to be some rascally robots causing a commotion, and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the meddling Ghosts!

It's fine.. filler content.. but whatever.. but it just makes the story tone feel so OFF. Oh we're avenging our super good friends who are dead now, at the hands of one of our own but first.. FISH HOOKS! I dunno. I felt like Wildlands had a really good narrative and structure where you knew the basics of why you were there (or so you thought) and what you were supposed to do (dismantle the cartel). I get that they're trying to be sorta cagey here with the story, but you at least need to property setup the MAIN STORY before you swerve into unexpected twists.. since right now those twists just seem as plausible as anything else I've seen so far.
It’s like Ghost Recon meets store brand Grand Theft Auto. Also,
Elijah makes no sense given how everyone was killed. I can buy Walker killed Weaver without recruiting him because he knew he wouldn’t turn but I can’t buy someone turning on everyone that just died and siding with someone who just tried to kill you by downing your chopper. At the same time, if I’m a smart villain, I’d suspect this individual is double crossing you since I have no idea why this guy would double cross everyone so easily.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. the swerves and twists don't mean anything if they don't make sense OR you care about who the people were anyway. In the case of the above.. I didn't trust that guy from the 1st time I saw him.. but he's supposed to be important to Nomad but who the hell is he anyway? If we'd gotten a prologue mission on the WASP maybe he's giving the Briefing or you talk to him or.. ANYTHING to make (1) the reunion mean something, so glad he made it! and (2) the swerve make you go 'whoa' and actually be shocking.

They did a shockingly bad job with the story thus far.. with most of the details coming in text documents or other random things you find in the world.. or having to go track down people to 'discuss' things with them.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I just encountered the bullet proof glass meeting in Skell’s lab and none of it was any surprise. This game has too much FarCry5 silliness seeping in on top of it’s RDR2 camp building activities. Thank goodness the actual gameplay is within 80% of Wildlands’, but this time around I do not care about the story. At all.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I more or less liked that segment.. but not surprising at all. It's played like it should be a huge shock though.. do they not have people test their games ahead of time? It does feel like someone high up said "I want ALL of this in the game! I don't care how you do it!"

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I stumbled on an underground base. Got behind the defenses and headshotted Silverback thinking he was any other Wolf. Whoops. Mission Accomplished?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I‘m pretty sure I despise the drone. Wandered all the way to the south to meet the outsiders and was continuously ass fucked by the flying variety when I decided to explore a bit. What do you use to kill the ones that hangout in packs around waypoints? I’m yet to damage one with any 50pt weapon or my lil bird’s minimums.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The flying ones are only hard because they fly around like an ADHD kid on candy. Damage wise I can destroy them with any of the guns I use, it's just hard hitting them.

Panther has a spray that makes me invisible to drones for like 1 minute. So I'll spray myself and then try and take them out in time, or at least thin their ranks. I think if you hit them with a unsilenced sniper it would do a ton of damage. The sniper class gets a perk or something to do extra damage to drones.